The fake punt play

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How in the world did they miss that call? First off, the guy with the ball wasn't even close, he was nearly a yard short. Even after they spotted it short on replay they still gave them too much yardage. But almost as bad what the hell happened to the rule that the offense can't help the ball carrier by pushing or pulling him forward? The only reason that call was missed was that his teammate was pulling him forward, when they fell down it looked like the ref got confused and spotted the ball where the pulling teammate, who didn't have the ball, went down?

That is supposed to be unsportsmanlike conduct but you see it constantly and they never call it.

I'm glad they got the call correct on replay but I can't believe they missed it live it wasn't even remotely close.

I also thought they missed the call where the Titan TE made the leaping catch and then Budda kicked the ball out of his hands. I thought he caught the ball went to the ground in control and held the ball until Budda came over and kicked it out. I was very surprised that wasn't reviewed and overturned.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
There was a more ridiculous spot a few plays later on a pass play. It was a first down regardless but the ref gave him an extra yard and a half. At least they overturned the fake punt.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How in the world did they miss that call? First off, the guy with the ball wasn't even close, he was nearly a yard short. Even after they spotted it short on replay they still gave them too much yardage. But almost as bad what the hell happened to the rule that the offense can't help the ball carrier by pushing or pulling him forward? The only reason that call was missed was that his teammate was pulling him forward, when they fell down it looked like the ref got confused and spotted the ball where the pulling teammate, who didn't have the ball, went down?

That is supposed to be unsportsmanlike conduct but you see it constantly and they never call it.

I'm glad they got the call correct on replay but I can't believe they missed it live it wasn't even remotely close.

I also thought they missed the call where the Titan TE made the leaping catch and then Budda kicked the ball out of his hands. I thought he caught the ball went to the ground in control and held the ball until Budda came over and kicked it out. I was very surprised that wasn't reviewed and overturned.
It’s legal now to push or drag a ball carrier for extra yardage.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
thanks I didn't know that and that explains why it's never called.
You’re welcome Russ. As you know, for many years it was illegal. However, like most things in football, the rule was changed, I suppose, to help offenses.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was losing it before the review. As you say not even close. Was also going nuts on the phantom holding call on Shipley.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I was scratching my head with the announcers. It's a run play and it was not called down, meaning there is no such thing as forward progress with the first surge by the runner since the play is still active. You can lose yards and the runner did and was nowhere close to the first

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
On one of the replays prior to challenge, they showed the ref run in, put his foot down for spot, and then place the back end of the ball down against his foot -- effectively giving the Titans one more length of the football.

How do you make that mistake?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
And... How about a nice ST play being ready for the fake

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was scratching my head with the announcers. It's a run play and it was not called down, meaning there is no such thing as forward progress with the first surge by the runner since the play is still active. You can lose yards and the runner did and was nowhere close to the first

The announcers were so pro Titans it was silly. I get it was on CBS and they cover the AFC but still, be a professional...

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There was a more ridiculous spot a few plays later on a pass play. It was a first down regardless but the ref gave him an extra yard and a half. At least they overturned the fake punt.
I saw that too the ref put the spot where the guy handed him the ball and I was like Wtf?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah the ref literally picked up the ball and moved it a full length forward from where it was on the ground...

I was shocked the announcers were saying it was close. You could easily tell from every replay that the runner was more than a foot short.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Yep it was terrible Jim absolutely terrible! I was screaming at the TV the worse I've done in years.

The problem which has infected the NFL refs of today IMO is that they guess what they see instead of calling what they actually see. I'm dead serious!

Thank goodness they got it right & for once BA got it right to challenge.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at the stadium and even from 50 yards away maybe, I could NOT believe it was going to be reviewed even before they showed the replay.

It was just a terrible spot, the guy who made that spot should get fined it was so bad.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about that play also. Agree that it should have been reviewed.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was at a sports bar in St. Louis saying very loudly "Challenge the Spot Arians" because it was obvious the refs blew the call. Waitress came over asking if I was OK. No telling what I would have said if the refs would have confirmed the call.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yep it was terrible Jim absolutely terrible! I was screaming at the TV the worse I've done in years.

The problem which has infected the NFL refs of today IMO is that they guess what they see instead of calling what they actually see. I'm dead serious!

I was yelling also begging BA to challenge the spot

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Happened in the Rams Eagles game too. Receiver caught the ball and had it in his hand on the side away from the direction they were going and was immediately tackled and by any measure a yard short of the first down and the referee spotted the ball right on the first down spot. They even brought out the chains to measure it and gave the first down to the Rams before the Eagles coach challenged it and it was overturned.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I pointed this out earlier in the year and someone said it's actually what the refs are being taught. The refs spot the ball on the closest yard marker. So if you're on the 21.46 yard line, they spot it on the 21, if you're at 21.52, they spot it at the 22 yard line. Apparently someone decided over time it will even out, and completely ignored the impact of spotting the ball often nearly a half yard long or short just to make it easier by picking a line.

I'm glad they got the call right on replay but the longer it took on the replay the more concerned I got they were going to blow that too

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
thanks I didn't know that and that explains why it's never called.

Actually the response to you was not correct. It was made legal to push the ball carrier of surrounding scrum forward. It is still not legal to pull a ball carrier

Article 4: Other Prohibited Acts. No offensive player may:
(a) pull a runner in any direction at any time;

Officials are getting worse & worse. So many do not properly call this rule even though the league has sent out numerous clarifications to try to achieve uniform enforcement.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On one of the replays prior to challenge, they showed the ref run in, put his foot down for spot, and then place the back end of the ball down against his foot -- effectively giving the Titans one more length of the football.

How do you make that mistake?
I was screaming when I saw that replay. I couldn’t believe that weems was tackled and after he was down reached the ball out an extra foot or 2 and the ref moved it even further after that. They gained about 3 feet from when weems was trying to stand up to where the ball was marked. I couldn’t do anything but laugh at that point because I was so confused about what happened that I was confused how to act lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson