The Durant Sweepstakes

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If GS didn't win the title this year, it would make sense to bring back KD but I think they'd be giving up their future a better chance at a repeat.

It doesn't make a ton of sense for them. They've proven they can win without him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If GS didn't win the title this year, it would make sense to bring back KD but I think they'd be giving up their future a better chance at a repeat.

It doesn't make a ton of sense for them. They've proven they can win without him.
Yeah, but this tells you they are scared they can't beat the Suns with him, at the very least they are thinking lets try and run the price up.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really a surprise. But I don't think Durant is interested in going back there.

It would hurt his reputation even more. Now that he already left to prove he could do it on his own, he has to follow through.
The Warriors players evidently have been trashing him. Why would he want to go back?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be our luck.
I don't think we've ever been that lucky. So, we'd not only avoid destroying our future for Durant but also get to see our biggest competitor in the West throw away their future? I'm all in. All it would take then for a perfect offseason is to sign Ayton and then package a pick and a contract for someone like Jordan Clarkson to give us some punch off the bench.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is a case of the Warriors driving the price up for the Suns more than anything.
Maybe but you know that Spears is passing out legitimate inside information when he tells you that it's a good idea because Durant already knows where to live there.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devil's advocate for a minute. I cannot understand why the Nets would not take Ayton and Bridges for Durant, especially if there are picks thrown in. Those are two good pieces for a young core. Looks to me like DA is not really nearly as valued as he thinks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devil's advocate for a minute. I cannot understand why the Nets would not take Ayton and Bridges for Durant, especially if there are picks thrown in. Those are two good pieces for a young core. Looks to me like DA is not really nearly as valued as he thinks.
This is probably why. If we don’t want to give him the Max, other teams might not either.

Would you want to build around a team that is Ayton/Ben Simmons/Bridges? Those are three VERY high salary guys… none of which play with much confidence on the offensive side of the ball.

They’d probably be a great front line for a D, but all the money would be tied up with them to prevent them from getting an offensive dynamo they’d need to be competitive.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teh general thinking here is that it can't be true. There's just no way they gave up 3 of their best young talents AND Wiggins for Durant.
I don't care, you guys want him on that wall, you guys need him on that wall.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the other thing is they already risked some of their special "chemistry" by letting Payton go and the likely retirement of Iggy. If you now trade 4 guys for a guy who has been a factor in prior conflict you're risking derailing the whole thing.

It's a tough situation to thread the needle with aging stars and talented young guys and I can see the "easy" out is just trade for KD and try and win 1-2 more titles before they all break down healthwise, I just don't see it unless Kerr says he's going to hang it up soon.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the other thing is they already risked some of their special "chemistry" by letting Payton go and the likely retirement of Iggy. If you now trade 4 guys for a guy who has been a factor in prior conflict you're risking derailing the whole thing.

It's a tough situation to thread the needle with aging stars and talented young guys and I can see the "easy" out is just trade for KD and try and win 1-2 more titles before they all break down healthwise, I just don't see it unless Kerr says he's going to hang it up soon.

Was waiting to see you chime in. I was curious how a Warriors fan felt. It really doesn't make sense, IMO. I can see why the talking heads are discussing it but I'd be surprised if the Warriors have seriously considered it.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He went what 15 of 15 or some crap against New Orleans? Takes over games..he just didn't fall off a cliff. Can he be the number 1 or 2 night in night out hell no. But you got KD and Book and maybe Bridges? CP3 will have a hell of a year....again
Don't get me wrong, I lOVE CP3. But statistically speaking and for anyone watching, he pretty much did fall off a cliff from the Pelicans series to the Mavericks series:

-His PPG average went from 22 to 13
-His assists went from 68 total or 11 per game to 40 total or 5 per game
-His turnovers went from 9 total to 22 total

I agree he was great in the regular season. But again, he pretty much literally fell off a cliff in the second rd.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not do this hypothetical trade which would involve the Suns giving up Deandre Ayton, Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson for Kevin Durant and it does not even include draft picks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not do this hypothetical trade which would involve the Suns giving up Deandre Ayton, Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson for Kevin Durant and it does not even include draft picks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

They only did that to show how it works financially. They also said they weren't going to include picks. It didn't seem like it was presented as a realistic hypothetical so much as showing how complex it is and also why it hasn't happened yet.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree he was great in the regular season. But again, he pretty much literally fell off a cliff in the second rd.

the Suns were a bunch of lemmings falling off a cliff in the second round
and KD was doing some cliff diving with the Nets as well

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Teh general thinking here is that it can't be true. There's just no way they gave up 3 of their best young talents AND Wiggins for Durant.
I think the reason it doesn’t happen is golden state isn’t desperate. They literally just won the title. And they’ve won four in recent memory. They aren’t starving for a title. They’ll still be contenders next year without adding Durant. And that pack of young players and picks is attractive to the nets for the same reason it would be attractive to the warriors. So the warriors could remain contenders and keep their rosy youthful future. They can literally have their cake and eat it too.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Even though I think Ayton is soft as tissue ...I think he coulda already signed an offer sheet somewhere..I'm sure the Nets and Suns both know how this is gonna end and trying to maximize both teams returns. Ayton understands he's gonna be paid and more than likely it's gonna be Brooklyn paying him