The Die is Cast for 33 and Beyond

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Sorry I didn’t fill this request but I went to bed after I found outs the Pats weren’t offering their 1 in some kind of a Rosen swap. I was following up on my Miami guy. I missed the last third of round 1. As far as round 2 I’ve thought Metcalf since I decided Murray was the pick. I knew Murray selection would change the focus. Unless they trade out of 33 or 65 they’re going offense at 33. It’s possible they go JJ or I guess Taylor out of Florida. Forget everything you ever heard about BPA. How many first year WRs are impact players? Even the good ones like Kirk are typically just decent. Any hopes of making this a dominant defense are gone. BTW my Miami guy said no deal had been reached yet but nothing is dead. There’s no longer much competition for Rosen. They’ll probably throw defense a cookie to start 3. After that the list I posted is still in play though a couple will no go earlier. It’s all offense until round 7.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry I didn’t fill this request but I went to bed after I found outs the Pats weren’t offering their 1 in some kind of a Rosen swap. I was following up on my Miami guy. I missed the last third of round 1. As far as round 2 I’ve thought Metcalf since I decided Murray was the pick. I knew Murray selection would change the focus. Unless they trade out of 33 or 65 they’re going offense at 33. It’s possible they go JJ or I guess Taylor out of Florida. Forget everything you ever heard about BPA. How many first year WRs are impact players? Even the good ones like Kirk are typically just decent. Any hopes of making this a dominant defense are gone. BTW my Miami guy said no deal had been reached yet but nothing is dead. There’s no longer much competition for Rosen. They’ll probably throw defense a cookie to start 3. After that the list I posted is still in play though a couple will no go earlier. It’s all offense until round 7.

That’s not true at all WR is pretty much the 1 position guys come in and dominate right away

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I am convinced it will be a Wr, they are going to give Kliff and Murray weapons.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not recently. There was an article during last years draft saying WRs take longer to develop now than ever.
Correct, I've actually heard this for years. Receivers not use to the routes to run and different defense schemes. Takes couple of years to develop a good WR.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Boldin was awesome his first year..hell is best game in the league might have been his best in a possible hall of fame career! Didn't he get about 250 yards his first game? Fitz was pretty good too. Maybe it is harder to develop receivers now but I have a feeling those guys would be ok as rookies in todays game...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
DJ Moore, Moss. come on Harry your better then this. Kirk if he had a QB

Moss? Randy Moss? From 1998, kind of stretching that don't you think? Moore had 55 catches and 2 TD, hardly a game changer.

The last rookie WR that immediately stepped in as a #1 was Amari Cooper.

Rookie WRs don't have the impacts they once did, it's a reason very few WRs go early in the draft anymore--in fact this year only 2 were drafted in the first round and both were in the bottom part of the draft.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Boldin was awesome his first year..hell is best game in the league might have been his best in a possible hall of fame career! Didn't he get about 250 yards his first game? Fitz was pretty good too. Maybe it is harder to develop receivers now but I have a feeling those guys would be ok as rookies in todays game...

Again, look at recent years--like the past 5 years and aside from Amari Cooper how many rookie WRs have put up big numbers?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are exceptions for sure. I'm an old fart but I always heard that it takes several years for a receiver to develop in the NFL.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree that in recent years rookie WR's don't have a big impact but maybe in KK's system the lack of route running ability won't matter as much.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rookie WRs don't have the impacts they once did, it's a reason very few WRs go early in the draft anymore--in fact this year only 2 were drafted in the first round and both were in the bottom part of the draft.
And I wish both those WR where on the Cardinals

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Metcalf and AJ Brown would fit our need for a big WR.

Or we could go OL - Ford or Risner. Or one of the corners.

After that, I see us cherrypicking one or more additional WRs & grabbing at least one more G-C. And hoping that a BPA that Keim loves falls to him.

As for Rosen - I think we're shafted.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It they aren't sold on Metcalf they could try to trade out to further in 2nd and see if they can get Parris Campbell down the stretch. Parris should be a solid receiver.

Reason Metcalf is appealing is he has speed and size. Its nice to have a tall receiver that can haul in those 50/50 balls when you need it.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You have to add offense. WR is super deep and there is not a big difference in the types of guys available at 33 and those available at 133. TE is also deep. I would target round 3 or 4 before it drops offs. OL dries up quick IMO. I think there is pretty good talent available here. I don't see how we can afford to draft much defense after the Murray pick. The franchise is tied to him and Keim now, and they need more help.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was against drafting Metcalf. But wouldn’t he be the perfect guy to “ take the lid off the defense”? He also has a huge wingspan for the 50/50 balls and would open things up underneath. Yes he is limited in route running which he can learn. For now we utilize what he’s best at. Let’s keep swinging for the fences.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would like Emmanuel Hall. Might be a reach at 33 though but 65 would work

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like Emmanuel Hall. Might be a reach at 33 though but 65 would work

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Yes even Kelvin Harmon is a good option
Very productive but tested poorly at combine, 460 forty yard dash
In round 3 i would like also the Mississippi tigh end Dawson Cox

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
That’s not true at all WR is pretty much the 1 position guys come in and dominate right away

Think you mean RB.

Kareem Hunt & Zeke Elliot led the league in rushing their rookie years.

Other productive rookie RBs,
Saquon Barkley
Leonard Fournette
Alvin Kamara
Sony Michel
Nick Chubb
Todd Gurley
Philip Lindsay
Jordan Howard
Doug Martin
Eddie Lacy
Jeremy Hill