The Dbacks offseason thread

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Looks like the Diamondbacks could be getting another over the hill pitcher. This from Rotoworld:

The Dodgers are no longer involved in David Wells trade talks with the Red Sox and A's. The Diamondbacks, though, are showing mild interest in the left-hander, according to the Boston Globe.
Orlando Hernandez, Alex Cintron and Luis Terrero for Wells? It might make sense if either Cintron or Terrero was good enough to paly regularly for a contender. The Red Sox were considering getting Jay Payton from the A's in a deal that would have sent Wells to the Dodgers and prospects to Oakland. If neither the Dodgers nor the Padres are in the mix, the Red Sox may be out of possibilities. There's been no sign that the Angels are interested, though Wells for Darin Erstad would make some sense for both teams. The A's could consider Wells for themselves in the unlikely event that they trade Barry Zito prior to Opening Day. Jan. 15 - 3:55 am et
Source: Boston Globe

It has been said that organization wants a young arm in return, and I don't think Wells falls into that category.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
It has been said that organization wants a young arm in return, and I don't think Wells falls into that category.

Wells is OLDER than Hernandez.. In this deal, Arizona'd be better off keeping El Duque.

Is the market that thin for starting pitching that a team is willing to give up three players for this average pitcher? Honestly, they'd be better off going after someone like Josh Fogg or Kip Wells than they would David Wells. Both are still relatively young (mid-late 20s) and have the "veteran" experience that the Diamondbacks are craving.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not want Wells. Not only is he 42 or 43 years old, he will be making 8 million dollars. They don't need a drunk on this team. No bad influences for the young guys.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
I do not want Wells. Not only is he 42 or 43 years old, he will be making 8 million dollars. They don't need a drunk on this team. No bad influences for the young guys.

The age doesn't bother me as much as the fact that he's a fat slob and a drunk who stiffed the Diamondback organization before and by no means is worth giving up three players for. As I said, in this case, they're really better off keeping El Duque.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Snake said:
Wells is OLDER than Hernandez.. In this deal, Arizona'd be better off keeping El Duque.

Is the market that thin for starting pitching that a team is willing to give up three players for this average pitcher? Honestly, they'd be better off going after someone like Josh Fogg or Kip Wells than they would David Wells. Both are still relatively young (mid-late 20s) and have the "veteran" experience that the Diamondbacks are craving.

I agree. Fogg or Wells for Hernandez and Cintron would be great but giving up that much for Wells is insane.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
The Rockies are talking to free agent Royce Clayton about a utility position.
Well, we're hoping it'd be a utility role. Clayton turned down a one-year offer from the Diamondbacks in October because he thought he deserved a multiyear deal. Not only won't he get one of those, but it doesn't look like he'll have a starting job, either. His best hope is a Julio Lugo trade, which would open up the shortstop position in Tampa Bay until B.J. Upton is ready.

Apparently, Clayton thinks very highly of himself. Why else would he demand a multi-year deal?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
So are we not going to sign Jeff DaVanon?

Not now after signing Byrnes, unless we are going to use him as a utility man to back up at SS, 2B, or 3B after we trade Cintron.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So is there any reason to believe that Luis Gonzalez won't be the starting LF this year?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Apparently, Clayton thinks very highly of himself. Why else would he demand a multi-year deal?

Because he's hoping that he'll have the financial security that comes with it, along with knowing that he won't need to find a new home every year, ala Reggie Sanders.

Probably won't happen for Royce, but why not try for it?