The Coyotes off season thread 2021

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Yotes would have to score 5 goals to win any game. If this is the tandem they go with, this team will end up with the worst record for a season in NHL history.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Yotes would have to score 5 goals to win any game. If this is the tandem they go with, this team will end up with the worst record for a season in NHL history.

I'm a little worried that with all of your enthusiasm, you could be setting yourself up for a disappointment in the team's performance next year. ;)

Seriously though, this is what I would call pulling the band aid off and rebuilding for real. Chayka's scorched-Earth forced our hand. We had too many holes to fix through trades alone. We need these picks and next year's draft looks solid.

So, the chances of the Yotes making the post-season for the next couple of years are very low, but things can turn around quick if you take your medicine and manage your resources.

As a fan of the long term health of this franchise, this was the right move and the new GM isn't being shy. His Kuemper strategy alone makes me feel real good about his potential to put the team in a position for success.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm a little worried that with all of your enthusiasm, you could be setting yourself up for a disappointment in the team's performance next year. ;)

Seriously though, this is what I would call pulling the band aid off and rebuilding for real. Chayka's scorched-Earth forced our hand. We had too many holes to fix through trades alone. We need these picks and next year's draft looks solid.

So, the chances of the Yotes making the post-season for the next couple of years are very low, but things can turn around quick if you take your medicine and manage your resources.

As a fan of the long term health of this franchise, this was the right move and the new GM isn't being shy. His Kuemper strategy alone makes me feel real good about his potential to put the team in a position for success.

I get that, and I don't mind a full rebuild, but what's it going to do to the development of the younger guys if they don't have a Goaltender who can stop anything? For me, it harkens back to the season a couple of years ago when the Suns had Shaq Harrison, Isaiah Canaan and DeAnthony Melton at point guard, along with an inexperienced head coach. As a result, the team actually got worse, the development of some young players (Ayton, Bridges and Booker) was stunted, and some young players (Josh Jackson, TJ Warren, Dragan Bender, Marquese Chriss) were ruined permanently.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that, and I don't mind a full rebuild, but what's it going to do to the development of the younger guys if they don't have a Goaltender who can stop anything? For me, it harkens back to the season a couple of years ago when the Suns had Shaq Harrison, Isaiah Canaan and DeAnthony Melton at point guard, along with an inexperienced head coach. As a result, the team actually got worse, the development of some young players (Ayton, Bridges and Booker) was stunted, and some young players (Josh Jackson, TJ Warren, Dragan Bender, Marquese Chriss) were ruined permanently.

Which goalie should we have kept in your opinion?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Which goalie should we have kept in your opinion?

At least Adin Hill, if not Raanta. Or at least sign someone significantly better than the awful Hutton. They need SOMEONE who at least has marginal NHL ability.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raanta is made of glass so, no way we could count on him for a full season.

I'm going to miss Hill, but he needs to do a lot of work on his technique. He's the opposite of a "quiet" goaltender. He still only had 19 games last season even with all of our injuries. He didn't steal any games that I remember like he did in '19-20 when no one had a book on him.

You're correct that Hutton isn't that great and Korenar only has a few games in the NHL. These two will both be easily exchanged after the dust settles if necessary. I think the returns were pretty good for who we moved because we will miss the window's of Raanta's and Kuemper's peak so may as well take advantage of their value now. That return on Kuemper was incredible.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Raanta is made of glass so, no way we could count on him for a full season.

I'm going to miss Hill, but he needs to do a lot of work on his technique. He's the opposite of a "quiet" goaltender. He still only had 19 games last season even with all of our injuries. He didn't steal any games that I remember like he did in '19-20 when no one had a book on him.

You're correct that Hutton isn't that great and Korenar only has a few games in the NHL. These two will both be easily exchanged after the dust settles if necessary. I think the returns were pretty good for who we moved because we will miss the window's of Raanta's and Kuemper's peak so may as well take advantage of their value now. That return on Kuemper was incredible.

That's great and all, but in the meantime how is it not going to (1) ruin the development of the young players and (2) drive the fans away, if we have sieves in net like Hutton and Korenar letting 4 out of every 5 shots get past them?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great and all, but in the meantime how is it not going to (1) ruin the development of the young players and (2) drive the fans away, if we have sieves in net like Hutton and Korenar letting 4 out of every 5 shots get past them?

Making a commitment to team defense is going to be a necessity and every young player will be better for it IMO.

If you haven't noticed, we don't have a ton of fans as it is. The ones that do show up are die-hard and will hopefully appreciate the club putting on its big-boy pants and trying to run the organization the right way. The goal is, and should be, to build a contender for multiple years and get the corporate and fair-weather fans interested in the product. Only time will tell if the new ownership can hang on long enough and if the investment in time and resources will pay off.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Craig Morgan

@CraigSMorgan

·
13m

Hearing there has been preliminary discussion on a new contract for recently acquired Coyotes D Conor Timmins, a 10.2(c) player (basically, an RFA with no rights: no arbitration rights, can't get an offer sheet, only eligible to negotiate/sign with team that holds his rights).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose