The coming death of Rock n Roll

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But there's another sense in which rock is very nearly dead: Just about every rock legend you can think of is going to die within the next decade or so.

I grew up with these artists. I saw most of them live at one time or another. We planned our lives around their concerts. They meant so much to us. They gave us a dream to live for, which didn't last, of course, but at the time they spoke for us. We rebelled against the war, the 'plastic' man in the gray flannel suit, Lawrence Welk... lol... We reveled in free love. This came at a steep price for some of us through drugs and alcohol... drug offenses were punished harshly back then and ultimately drugs are a dead end street. But, damn it was fun while it lasted!

https://theweek.com/articles/861750/coming-death-just-about-every-rock-legend

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting article, not really news to us baby boomers because yeah, the end is getting near. But I was surprised to realize that Deborah Harry and Eric Clapton are the same age. Although I was a fan of the Yardbirds, I had no idea that Eric was only 18 or 19 when he was with them.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this article on google too. Screw this article!

Rock cant die...it will be the beginning of the end.

It made me wonder who is a "rock star" under 40 and I am really unsure. I feel like there are no younger megabands right now, only pop and country, hip hop, etc. Seems all kids listen to 90s rock and older or hip hop, nothing inbetween.

Scary.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Rock stars may be dead but kids are still making fantastic, disrespectful, angry music.

With GUITARS!!

Check out Black Pistil Fire.

My daughter and I have seen about 50 bands in the last year. There’s more great new music now than there ever was when I was a teenager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
And Rock n Roll died on February 3, 1959.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how beat can become obsolete. Guess I'm wrong.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Rock n Roll died on February 3, 1959.

Sorry but I believe that's "the day the music died", not the death of rock and roll.

My daughter and I have seen about 50 bands in the last year. There’s more great new music now than there ever was when I was a teenager.

Apparently you weren't a teenager in the 60's then. Regardless, I agree, there's still a lot of great music being made although it pales in comparison to the music of my youth, IMO.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Sorry but I believe that's "the day the music died", not the death of rock and roll.

Apparently you weren't a teenager in the 60's then.

I can open an app on my phone and access 1000s of bands in an instant.

How many bands could you access on FM radio or at the local record store.

And I’m not limited to the crap some record exec decides I get to hear. I can listen to a song some kid recorded in his basement yesterday. And the quality is better that any Zeppelin album ever recorded.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can open an app on my phone and access 1000s of bands in an instant.

How many bands could you access on FM radio or at the local record store.

And I’m not limited to the crap some record exec decides I get to hear. I can listen to a song some kid recorded in his basement yesterday. And the quality is better that any Zeppelin album ever recorded.

If you're happy with the state of music today, great for you (and your daughter). Music has been a huge part of my life (as a fan) but if it weren't for the disco era I'd suggest we're living in the worst era for lovers of popular music (rock, country, whatever).

As for how many bands I can access on FM radio, I really have no idea. I haven't listened to more than 100 hours total of radio music since the 70's. And I've been relying on digital music for a couple of decades now. I love what I can do with my music library but we're talking technology, not rock music itself.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If you're happy with the state of music today, great for you (and your daughter). Music has been a huge part of my life (as a fan) but if it weren't for the disco era I'd suggest we're living in the worst era for lovers of popular music (rock, country, whatever).

As for how many bands I can access on FM radio, I really have no idea. I haven't listened to more than 100 hours total of radio music since the 70's. And I've been relying on digital music for a couple of decades now. I love what I can do with my music library but we're talking technology, not rock music itself.

I'm not defensive exactly. I've just evolved with the music industry. I never stopped listening to new music at any point in time. Some of the new acts I'm seeing now are just as powerful as the Stones or AC/DC or Aerosmith when I saw them in 1979 or U2 on their first tour or, or, or. People get old and die. Call it whatever you want the stuff that made "Rock and Roll" will never die.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not defensive exactly. I've just evolved with the music industry. I never stopped listening to new music at any point in time. Some of the new acts I'm seeing now are just as powerful as the Stones or AC/DC or Aerosmith when I saw them in 1979 or U2 on their first tour or, or, or. People get old and die. Call it whatever you want the stuff that made "Rock and Roll" will never die.

For me, it's only been the past 10 years or so that I started having trouble finding new music that works for me. And once you stop exposing yourself to new music, I think you tend to lose the ability to appreciate new artists or more specifically, new styles and sounds. On the rare occasion when I do find new music that I like, it's inevitably a return to an earlier style (such as the country group Midland)

I don't doubt that there are tremendous musicians from every generation but I just don't see how today compares favorably to the music of the 60's. Rock probably won't ever die completely but there's a good reason that the 60's through the 90's (at the latest) are generally considered to be the golden age of rock and roll.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Rock may never die, but it certainly right now has faded from the culture. Top 40 has been and will be the death of music.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With presets, I play the radio station buttons like a piano.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The invention of Rock music (using real rocks). That's Ringo's ancestor holding the beat. Amazingly, this is the exact location that later became Abbey Road.

CAVEMAN INVENTION OF MUSIC - YouTube

The full movie is on Youtube---includes the invention of sunnyside up eggs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose