The Case for Munchak

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Munchak may be a great communicator and coordinator and manager. His 22-26 record with the Titans doesn't provide a huge endorsement. In 2012 Tennessee's offensive line ranked 31st (behind only the Cards') in run blocking and 19th in pass blocking. It improved to 19th/12th the next year (his last has HC).

Lets not forget that the reason he was let go as HC of the Titans was because he refused to fire some of his assistant coaches. Lets hope he doesn't have a connection with Amos Jones!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If the reports so far are accurate, then we may be picking off the scrap head and get what we get.

All of the options have their warts, that is the truth. In terms of what I believe they bring to the table, I guess a lot of it depends on the staffs they bring with them. As a head coach, I need someone to bring in top staff, develop players, hold players accountable, earn their respect, and execute a joint plan with Steve Keim. Arians was successful IMO because he was able to do most of these things.

Honestly, Munch didn't have a great run in Tennessee, but it is a cheap franchise. I don't love that he has either been a position coach or a head coach, never a coordinator. That isn't a deal breaker, but it is something.

Wilks has been in the NFL since 2005 but only one year as a coordinator. He is talked up a bit, but mostly a mystery.

John DeFilippo has an even more limited resume. He has never been a head coach at any level, and has only been a coordinator for two years, once in college and once in the pros.

Jim Schwartz might have the best resume of the bunch. He has been a scout, positional coach, coordinator and a head coach. Also, he is only three years older than Wilks. Now, his run in Detroit was bad, and his rumored attempt at a coup in Philly this year is also a bad look.

In the end, none of these guys set the room on fire when you look at their resumes. If you are excited for any one of these candidates, you either have extremely inside info, or you just like an article or report you have read about them. None have had success as a head coach at any level. Only Schwartz has more than two years as a coordinator at the NFL level. Any confidence in the hire that is made has to be based on trust in the Cardinals front office and owner because it isn't in the info provided to the public. They are hiring a projection based upon human leadership qualities vs actual experience or resume.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So...Munchak would basically be coming in to coach the O-Line? I think Keim is high on him, because they were both O-Linemen and can relate to that, but what he brings from an X's and O's standpoint is very underwhelming. I'm sure the players love him, but that doesn't win games. Also, him being old school...he would hire all his old buddies as assistant coaches and never hold them accountable, which is what ultimately got him fired. So, thanks, but no thanks. Flip and Wilks are much more intriguing IMO.

I definitely agree with hire of Old School guys. I really want someone who is willing to adapt to our roster and the league. Not sure Munchak is that guy.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets not forget that the reason he was let go as HC of the Titans was because he refused to fire some of his assistant coaches. Lets hope he doesn't have a connection with Amos Jones!
Mularkey just did that. Did Munchak do the same?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mularkey just did that. Did Munchak do the same?

Munchak was asked to part ways with some of his assistants after his 3rd season. When Munchak refused to make changes to his assistants he was let go by the Titans.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great sales pitch! Even more exciting that Munchak will bring his old buddy Russ Grimm to be our OC. That's 2 HOF OL on our staff. We will pound the West!

Aside from the last couple of years with the Steelers, Munchak spent pretty much his entire career with Oilers/Titans. I've seen a lot of people saying "Oh no, not another Pittsburg product". However he is more of an Oilers/Titans product from the Jeff Fisher coaching tree.

Yuck!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aside from the last couple of years with the Steelers, Munchak spent pretty much his entire career with Oilers/Titans. I've seen a lot of people saying "Oh no, not another Pittsburg product". However he is more of an Oilers/Titans product from the Jeff Fisher coaching tree.

Yuck!
Totally agree. He spent 31 years in the Oiler/Titan organization as a player and coach.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Reading Titans fans opinions on Munchak is that he refused to get rid of coaches, as in loyal to...sounds a little too familiar

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well, I can say Humphries is above average and a good player but his skill is no longer the problem, his ability to stay healthy which disrupts the all important aspect of continuity of the OL and taking up a roster space

You can't be those things when you're only available for 18 games in 3 NFL seasons.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think this is the smart route especially at this point.

Unless this Oline gets fixed & upgraded #31s skills possibly could get wasted. Isn’t DJ this teams best player? Protect him & invest in him by hiring Munchak, he turned a bad Stealer Oline into 1 of the NFLs best!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
No question Munchak has some of BA’s worst qualities. The loyalty quotient would be an immediate disqualifier for me. It’s not the only problem. The staff he had was lacking from the start. There were also game management/coaching issues at the end of games. The Titans were often in position to win games only to be unable to execute in the fourth quarter.

Finally there’s a lot of Buddy in Munchak. He tell you how great things are going to be if only we stay patient. He distorts reality.

It’s that old if you don’t study history .....

Buckybird

Reaction score
Please no Steelers Castoffs again.
Who is #1 & 2 in coaching wins in Cards history & where did they spend time with? :mrgreen:

An NFC championship game & a SB is pretty good though we have bigger goals & expectations.

Imo if he gets 2 good coordinators I think this will work out good.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
No question Munchak has some of BA’s worst qualities. The loyalty quotient would be an immediate disqualifier for me. It’s not the only problem. The staff he had was lacking from the start. There were also game management/coaching issues at the end of games. The Titans were often in position to win games only to be unable to execute in the fourth quarter.

Finally there’s a lot of Buddy in Munchak. He tell you how great things are going to be if only we stay patient. He distorts reality.

It’s that old if you don’t study history .....

I was wondering what your thoughts about Munchak are---and this gets me even more nervous. You hit on something that I wondered about---the game management/coaching issues. I had been attributing that to his coordinators, like DC Jerry Gray, who consistently struggled throughout his 3 years. Thus, this also speaks to your concerns about his hires and then his stubborn loyalty.

What I am concerned about too is older coaches coming to Arizona. Wouldn't it be great to break away from the monotonous Steeler connection and to hire a younger HC who isn't coming to Arizona on the cusp of retirement?

I am convinced that the best way to go is to hire a young offensive coach who can develop the QBOF and keep him in the same system for the next 4 plus years. Continuity for a young QB is and should be top priority.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I was wondering what your thoughts about Munchak are---and this gets me even more nervous. You hit on something that I wondered about---the game management/coaching issues. I had been attributing that to his coordinators, like DC Jerry Gray, who consistently struggled throughout his 3 years. Thus, this also speaks to your concerns about his hires and then his stubborn loyalty.

What I am concerned about too is older coaches coming to Arizona. Wouldn't it be great to break away from the monotonous Steeler connection and to hire a younger HC who isn't coming to Arizona on the cusp of retirement?

Munchak is 57 years old.

Buckybird

Reaction score
I hear ya Mitch & that’s legit concern.

But on the other end of the spectrum, most of these younger guys who get an NFL HC gig fail, especially those with no HC experience these days or though it seems that way to me.

With the success of McVay it appears everyone wants that “next young offensive mind”. Is that the right way to hire you’re HC or hire the best guy for you’re franchise?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I think this is the smart route especially at this point.

Unless this Oline gets fixed & upgraded #31s skills possibly could get wasted. Isn’t DJ this teams best player? Protect him & invest in him by hiring Munchak, he turned a bad Stealer Oline into 1 of the NFLs best!

This is the angle I have been trying to warm up to---because I was conceding that MB & SK would love Munch. He fits everything MB profiled in his coaching search presser: someone with experience (he's been a HC and a star OL coach), a track record of success (only 22-26 as HC, but he didn't exactly have a star studded roster or a good QB) and the passion (the guy is a Hall of Famer as a dominant LG and a highly dedicated and respected coach).

You are so right, Bucky, to think of the best scenarios for David Johnson---I am sure MB & SK are thinking this way too.

But, if he can't get the right QBC and OC, and the QBOF struggles like Locker did in TEN, then it all moot.

That's a big if.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jake Locker was horrible Munch had to play him. I believe with a legit QB he will be fine. That's why I'm hoping Keenum attracts everyone and we snag Cousins.