The biggest man on any campus ... ever

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Peter Schrager / FOXSports.com

By nature, being a fifth-year senior is pretty ideal.

While most of your friends are slugging it out at 9-to-5 entry-level jobs, you're still at college, having the time of your life. As they fill out Excel spreadsheets, type up memos, and figure out the optimal time to sneak onto instant messenger, you're entertaining guests, courting freshmen girls, and debating between Dominos and Papa John's. Life's good when you are a fifth-year senior.

Now, toss in the fact that you are a Heisman Trophy winner, a good looking dude, and one of the most successful college athletes of all-time — that's pretty much the best situation any American male has ever had while pursuing a secondary education.

Yep, that's what Matt Leinart has going for him this year. In simple terms, he's about to embark upon the most amazing year of college that anyone — state-side or abroad — has ever had in the history of the world. Lucky guy.

In the past few years, the celebrity/athlete morphing process has reached new heights. Derek Jeter's every move off the field is charted by paparazzi, Dennis Rodman's love life is featured on The Insider, and even Jeff Garcia dates a Playboy Playmate of the Year. Professional athletes have become akin to Hollywood stars. Andy Roddick dates Mandy Moore, and Mandy Moore dates Vincent Chase. It's how it goes. The pro athlete and the big-screen idol have become interchangeable on the social scene.

What about the college athlete, though? Leinart's a true pioneer, a real-life Magellan. Never has a kid still taking Sociology 101 been such a visible force in the tabloids. In the past 12 months, the USC quarterback has been romantically linked to Jessica Simpson's personal assistant, Kristin from Laguna Beach, the point guard of the USC women's basketball team, and Alyssa Milano, who we'll always think of as Samantha Micelli from Who's the Boss. Hell, if he wanted, he could probably score Mona and Angela too. This is all from a guy who plays college football.

Leinart plays it cool, though. In a recent interview with Sports Illustrated, he did the whole humble "I'm a normal guy" routine. As a jealous on-looker from afar, I appreciate such a modest approach to the coolest life ever. With the shaggy hair and team-first attitude, Leinart comes across as likeable — a guy you'd enjoy getting a beer or watching the game with. That is, of course, unless you are a UCLA fan.

It's hard to imagine life being much better for Matt Leinart, who threw out the first pitch at a recent Angels game. (Stephen Dunn / Getty Images)

He's also a champion. The starting quarterback of back-to-back national championship squads, Leinart's got the hardware to back up the hype. His career record as a starter is 25-1. The career statistics are just plain jaw-dropping. He already has thrown 71 touchdowns in just 26 career starts, with at least one TD in all but one game he has started and at least two TDs in all but three games. His career passing efficiency rating of 160.5 is fifth on the all-time NCAA chart, and during USC's current 22-game winning streak, he has thrown 63 TDs and just 9 interceptions. The guy just wins.

Leinart, who had redshirted as a freshman, turned down the opportunity to enter the NFL draft after last season. The experts' unanimous first overall pick had he left USC, Leinart shocked the world by deciding to come back to school. Sportswriters and TV personalities couldn't believe it.

"What else is there to prove?"

"What if he gets injured?"

"How's he going to survive without Norman Chow?"

Talking heads were exploding. Lots of screaming. Tons of confusion.

But I supported Leinart's decision 100 percent. There's no place like college. No place at all. And when you're a 6-foot-5 fifth-year senior at USC, the real world can wait. Leinart can make history this season. He has the chance to become the second player ever (Archie Griffin being the other) to win two Heisman Trophies. He can be the first quarterback ever to be an All-American three times. Heck, he might even lead USC to a third straight national championship. Quite simply, Matt Leinart has a chance to solidify his legacy as the greatest college football player ... ever.

There were, indeed, "football" reasons for Leinart to come back for one more season.

But, in the end, I think he just wanted to be a fifth-year senior. Could you blame him?

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
What do the 49ers do when they are drafting number one, and Leinhardt is there for the taking. I wouldn't mind trading 2 number 1's for him. And some other picks.

freebyrd

Reaction score
don't really follow college ball but this guy sounds so good that he's sure to be a bust in the nfl :biglaugh:
freebyrd

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
40yearfan said:

Matt Leinart?

I was expecting a Tommy Lee Goes to College joke from you, 40! :D

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leinart is kind of an idiot. Dude does indeed have a steady girlfriend. Idiot!

A-Bomb

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is it just me?

Or is anyone else getting tired of all the USC/Leinart hype? It seems like ever other issue of ESPN magazine has Leinart on the cover.

Enough already!!

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
What do the 49ers do when they are drafting number one, and Leinhardt is there for the taking. I wouldn't mind trading 2 number 1's for him. And some other picks.

I disagree. Especially with the drafting wizard known as Dennis Green. I would not hang myself if we spend a first round pick on a quaterback next year. But not 2 number ones. Next years draft is very deep.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cardsmasochist said:
Or is anyone else getting tired of all the USC/Leinart hype? It seems like ever other issue of ESPN magazine has Leinart on the cover.

Enough already!!

you might be sick of it, but that team and leinart deserve all the accolades they receive. i hate SC and live in orange county (in SC's shadow) and i still have to admire the program and matt's career.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
you might be sick of it, but that team and leinart deserve all the accolades they receive. i hate SC and live in orange county (in SC's shadow) and i still have to admire the program and matt's career.

The scary thing is that after leinart leaves they have John David Booty who was going to replace Leinart 2 years ago if he'd started slowly(Norm Chow openly admits he wasn't sure of Leinart and was giving him a very short lease before changing QB's since he was so high on Booty.). Then behind booty you have freshman Mark Sanchez who was one of the highest rated QB's in HS last year. Will be interesting if they can continue without Chow, without the DL coach etc, but the talent there is scary.

Leinart, Bush, LenDale White they have more talent in the backfield than many NFL teams.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA