The Big Short

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Big Short

Release Date: December 11, 2015 (limited; wide release: Dec. 23)
Studio: Paramount Pictures, Regency Enterprises
Director: Adam McKay
MPAA Rating: R (for pervasive language and some sexuality/nudity)
Screenwriters: Charles Randolph, Adam McKay
Genre: Drama, Comedy
Website: TheBigShortmovie.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Starring: Steve Carell, Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, Marisa Tomei, Melissa Leo, Brad Pitt, Rafe Spall, Tracy Letts, John Magaro, Jeremy Strong, Byron Mann, Finn Wittrock, Hamish Linklater

Plot Summary: When four outsiders saw what the big banks, media and government refused to, the global collapse of the economy, they had an idea: The Big Short. Their bold investment leads them into the dark underbelly of modern banking where they must question everyone and everything. Based on the true story and best-selling book by Michael Lewis ("The Blind Side," "Moneyball"), and directed by Adam Mckay ("Anchorman," "Step Brothers") The Big Short stars Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling and Brad Pitt.

You must be registered for see images attach

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May have to break my vow to never go to a live theater showing.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This looks awesome, anyone seen it yet?

I'm trying to get the fam to go see this tonight, but only 3/4 of us are a go so far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it at an early screening about a month ago. Thought it was solid then, but just watched again and the flaws I noticed were glaring the second time around.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Just got done watching this with the Mrs.

This movie should be seen by all. It pulls back the curtain on the very ugly side of Wall St.

I thought all of the acting was exceptional (esp Bale).

It made me sick, but didn't do enough to implicate Fannie and Freddie imo.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

This movie should be seen by all. It pulls back the curtain on the very ugly side of Wall St.

+1. Required viewing

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1. Required viewing

Thanks for the reviews. I have read the opinions by the pseudo intellectuals :D and was waiting for a counterpoint. I prefer content over artistic creativity often times.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Absolutely. I loved it and thought it handled a difficult subject to make into a movie very well. The post-modern asides were amazing, too. Such a seedy world within a world, and one that hasn't changed even a little bit. Makes one a bit ashamed to be an American.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Absolutely. I loved it and thought it handled a difficult subject to make into a movie very well. The post-modern asides were amazing, too. Such a seedy world within a world, and one that hasn't changed even a little bit. Makes one a bit ashamed to be an American.

Agree. This was well done and mixed in a ton of humor as well.

"I know that this can be hard to understand and might make you feel bored or stupid, so here is Margo Robbie in a bubble bath to explain it to you!"

:biglaugh:

Stout

Reaction score
Agree. This was well done and mixed in a ton of humor as well.

"I know that this can be hard to understand and might make you feel bored or stupid, so here is Margo Robbie in a bubble bath to explain it to you!"

:biglaugh:

She could have read a phone book, and I'd have been enthralled :)

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
She could have read a phone book, and I'd have been enthralled :)

Ha ha. Yea it was a pretty good movie. Sad how that market tanked everything and they blamed the poor. The banks still make it out and then some.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha. Yea it was a pretty good movie. Sad how that market tanked everything and they blamed the poor. The banks still make it out and then some.

The poor were to blame. They were marks. They rented a dream that even they knew was too good to be true. Sub prime mortgages without financial checks , etc. Of course the mortgage "lenders" were carpetbagging thieves, yet they had more than enough willing dopes. If you would like to see people/history repeat itself check out the sub prime auto loans.

Too big to fail never fails.

Stout

Reaction score
The poor were to blame. They were marks. They rented a dream that even they knew was too good to be true. Sub prime mortgages without financial checks , etc. Of course the mortgage "lenders" were carpetbagging thieves, yet they had more than enough willing dopes. If you would like to see people/history repeat itself check out the sub prime auto loans.

Too big to fail never fails.

By far, the poor bear the LEAST blame in that whole fiasco.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Finally got around to seeing this. Fraud all the way around! You should also see 'Easy Money.' As long as interest rates are this low, Wall Street will find a way to make their money.

Oh, and CDO's are back .. albeit with a different name.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Spectacular movie, but I must admit to a lot of stupidity about what they were talking about.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Fantastic film. I loved their method of telling the story. Acting was incredible, especially Bale. I'm a fan of pretty much everything he does, but he was particularly good here. Funny that he didn't share a minute of screen time with the other main actors.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson