The Batman (2022)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really not excited for this one. It's hard to get up for something staring Pattinson. Plus we really don't need another Batman reboot. I wish we could get deeper into his story lines.

you’re living in the past, my man. Pattinson is an absolute beast of an actor. Honed his craft working with really interesting directors after he made a bajillion bucks with Twilight.

Also a great director behind it. That said, I get not needing another Batman again but if we are, I have faith in the star/director pairing.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
That’s a shame. His filmography after Twilight is really good.
I've seen a couple of his movies since it and he hasn't struck a nerve with me. At least not to the extent that I care about him being the lead of a movie and especially not for Batman. If you cast him as Robin I'd be fine with it but I haven't seen anything out of him saying Batman. Who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised by his performance in it.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
you’re living in the past, my man. Pattinson is an absolute beast of an actor. Honed his craft working with really interesting directors after he made a bajillion bucks with Twilight.

Also a great director behind it. That said, I get not needing another Batman again but if we are, I have faith in the star/director pairing.

I'm not a huge Reeves fan either. Looking at his filmography the Planet of the Apes movies that he did are the only things in his directing and writing credits that I liked. He also has JJ Abrams/Bad Robot roots which is usually a major knock for me. I've completely lost faith in that lineage with how bad they've either finished (lack of) their properties or how they've completely ruined a number of franchises now. Anyone from there starts behind the eight ball for me.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sloppy alternate universe thing by DC just has me so turned off about the future of the DC universe. They explanation is an afterthought unlike Marvel who has a meticulous plan. They have so many different threads running it's just a convenient explanation. It's so incoherent. It's hard to get pumped for these DC films but the trailer at least peaked my interest.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to want to see this, but I'm not feeling it. Hopefully that'll change!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The sloppy alternate universe thing by DC just has me so turned off about the future of the DC universe. They explanation is an afterthought unlike Marvel who has a meticulous plan. They have so many different threads running it's just a convenient explanation. It's so incoherent. It's hard to get pumped for these DC films but the trailer at least peaked my interest.
The difference is that it ISN'T a coherent universe like the MCU is. Would I prefer that there was a coherent universe? Absolutely, but all of the issues over at Warner has caused that to not be the case.

People for some reason always seem to think formulaically when it comes to movies.

I read a review for the movie "Lamb" and the reviewer was basically complaining that the movie didn't come out and tell you everything about the movie over the course of the movie. To me that's not always a bad thing; that requires the viewer to pay attention and pick up on plot points.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference is that it ISN'T a coherent universe like the MCU is. Would I prefer that there was a coherent universe? Absolutely, but all of the issues over at Warner has caused that to not be the case.

People for some reason always seem to think formulaically when it comes to movies.

I read a review for the movie "Lamb" and the reviewer was basically complaining that the movie didn't come out and tell you everything about the movie over the course of the movie. To me that's not always a bad thing; that requires the viewer to pay attention and pick up on plot points.
I think that is my point. It's definitely not. However, DC is just calling everything an "alternate earth" as an easy way out. It's painfully obvious they don't have the organization or creative head to pull off pulling everything together.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I wish comic book movies would just stop. DC because it’s been such a disaster post Nolan and the MCU because it had the perfect finish. The actors are more important than the characters and since RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth, ScarJo are gone I just don’t care anymore. I know I’m alone here but I haven’t had any interest in the Disney shows or Spider-Man.

That said on a random night the new Batman will pull me in like a sucker.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This trailer has my interest at least peaked but like someone said above. Likely going in with low expectations.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't get why Batman is being rebooted.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't get why Batman is being rebooted.
Sounds like Batfleck wants to move on and not interested in solo movies. So, they are using the alternate universe thing to keep it going with a new Batman so they can keep it going. With the Justice League franchise put out of it's misery sounds like the focus for DC will be all of these loosely connected franchises without much cohesion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won’t begrudge people who are tired of Batman. I’ve definitely got Batman fatigue too.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won’t begrudge people who are tired of Batman. I’ve definitely got Batman fatigue too.
Totally agree. The strange thing is I have not been disappointed so far with each iteration. I totally get why people are though tired of all the "resets". I just hope this one is badass. I just wonder if DC has just said screw it all and just going to run through all these individual threads from here on out. Seems like they semi-attempt and pulling it all together like Marvel was a colossal failure.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. The strange thing is I have not been disappointed so far with each iteration. I totally get why people are though tired of all the "resets". I just hope this one is badass. I just wonder if DC has just said screw it all and just going to run through all these individual threads from here on out. Seems like they semi-attempt and pulling it all together like Marvel was a colossal failure.

I thought Batfleck sucked.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Batfleck sucked.
Some people did. I loved him in the role. I thought he was badass which is why I am struggling with Robert Patterson. He has moved on from the Twilight Series and done some pretty damn good roles. I just get Edward image in my head anyway. Part of that is because I am surrounded by my girls in the house who watch those movies from time to time which doesn't help. :eek:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I always thought this was a response to how successful Joker was. Yes, it was planned to have a Batman solo movie before Joker, but at the time, Affleck had already been attached and there was no need for a "reset". With him leaving the character, you have to wonder if they had a conversation about continuing the storylines as in Justice League or go in a different direction.

They are obviously going in a different direction since Batman is young again and not an old man like in Justice League. And my guess is they directed Matthew Vaughn to do something similar to what was done with Joker as soon as that movie became a surprise success.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought this was a response to how successful Joker was. Yes, it was planned to have a Batman solo movie before Joker, but at the time, Affleck had already been attached and there was no need for a "reset". With him leaving the character, you have to wonder if they had a conversation about continuing the storylines as in Justice League or go in a different direction.

They are obviously going in a different direction since Batman is young again and not an old man like in Justice League. And my guess is they directed Matthew Vaughn to do something similar to what was done with Joker as soon as that movie became a surprise success.
Affleck dropped out of Reeves’ Batman well before Joker came out back in late 2018 and it was reported they were going a younger route earlier. Pattinson was actually cast wayyyyyy back in May of 2019 and remember, Joker came out in October 2019 and this was two years after the disastrous Justice League which seemingly killed the Snyderverse. Also, this Batman was already rolling cameras in Jan of 2020 (we’re talking PRE-pandemic which seems like a lifetime ago) which means they were probably DEEP into prep with close to shooting script when Joker came out only three months earlier.

But we’ve been living in a time warp so i could see where it might seem like Joker made the course correction happen, but in the end this Batman movie was already on the tracks and left the station a little while beforehand.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Affleck dropped out of Reeves’ Batman well before Joker came out back in late 2018 and it was reported they were going a younger route earlier. Pattinson was actually cast wayyyyyy back in May of 2019 and remember, Joker came out in October 2019 and this was two years after the disastrous Justice League which seemingly killed the Snyderverse. Also, this Batman was already rolling cameras in Jan of 2020 (we’re talking PRE-pandemic which seems like a lifetime ago) which means they were probably DEEP into prep with close to shooting script when Joker came out only three months earlier.

But we’ve been living in a time warp so i could see where it might seem like Joker made the course correction happen, but in the end this Batman movie was already on the tracks and left the station a little while beforehand.
How do you know they didn't make a course correction mid-filming?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you know they didn't make a course correction mid-filming?
I mean... they might have but I thought you were suggesting that they course corrected with the Affleck version of it after Joker, since that’s who you mentioned and was just pointing out the timeline of it all showed they course corrected previous to the Joker with Affleck leaving, Pattinson coming on all five full months before Joker came out.

Or you mean they course corrected mid-Joker filming? I guess that’s a possibility too, but remember that movie was looked at as a bit of a gamble too with it being only a 40 million dollar and DC’s first R rating. It pretty much took everyone by surprise that it ended up being a Billion Dollar hit and Oscar hopeful. So I think that would have taken a ginormous set of brass balls to course correct based on mid-filming of a risky bet like Joker. Could be I guess.

Edit: that seems very unlikely since Affleck dropped out almost a year before Joker even opened and actually dropped out the same month (Sept 2018) that Joker started production. I just don’t think WB totally revamped their entire DC plan, especially with their biggest superhero, based on dailies after a couple weeks of Joker.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Some people did. I loved him in the role. I thought he was badass which is why I am struggling with Robert Patterson. He has moved on from the Twilight Series and done some pretty damn good roles. I just get Edward image in my head anyway. Part of that is because I am surrounded by my girls in the house who watch those movies from time to time which doesn't help. :eek:
I liked Affleck too. It was a different Batman. An older Batman who had already gone through a ton before Superman arrived in destructive fashion. Just like I talked about before: some people want movies spoon fed and spelled out to them. They are too lazy to see movies lay out facts without talking about them. Affleck's Batman lived through his sidekick Robin being murdered and Wayne Manor burnt down by the Joker. This is why Batman seems to be more violent, more gritty. I read so many reviews where people didn't grab unto that point because the movie didn't directly say it, though the clues were presented pretty obviously.

I'm excited to see Pattinson because he's a phenomenal actor. It's also not an origin story again, which I think would be a mistake.

I think Bat fatigue IS real and Pattinson looks like he will be a little bit different of a take.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I mean... they might have but I thought you were suggesting that they course corrected with the Affleck version of it after Joker, since that’s who you mentioned and was just pointing out the timeline of it all showed they course corrected previous to the Joker with Affleck leaving, Pattinson coming on all five full months before Joker came out.

Or you mean they course corrected mid-Joker filming? I guess that’s a possibility too, but remember that movie was looked at as a bit of a gamble too with it being only a 40 million dollar and DC’s first R rating. It pretty much took everyone by surprise that it ended up being a Billion Dollar hit and Oscar hopeful. So I think that would have taken a ginormous set of brass balls to course correct based on mid-filming of a risky bet like Joker. Could be I guess. Just doesn’t seem super likely to me. Especially since Affleck dropped out almost a year before Joker even opened.
Were they filming after Joker was released? Or at least polishing the script upon the release? Or it sounds like you think it's likely a coincidence that this Batman movie and Joker appear to be in the same universe/style?

It was also my feeling that there wasn't a lot of direction on how Joker should "fit" in any universe, and in fact, was never intended to be in the DC universe in the first place. Maybe because they didn't think it would succeed as much as it did.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose