The Ayton Plan

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the point. Zion is being paid on projection. Why wasn't a then 22 year old Ayton?
Because when he's healthy Zion doesn't play like a p***Y and he's one of the most marketable players in the NBA. If I was an owner I would be terrified to give him that kind of contract but I understand it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because when he's healthy Zion doesn't play like a p***Y and he's one of the most marketable players in the NBA. If I was an owner I would be terrified to give him that kind of contract but I understand it.

I couldn’t do it. Zion has shown zero commitment to his career. Like ZERO.

Hopefully he gets his head on straight the talent is there but it’s been three years and getting paid isn’t gonna make him all of a sudden want to work harder.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The key words are "when he's healthy." Zion hasn't shown me he is dedicated enough to stay in shape.

Oliver Miller had a lot going for him too.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, when you get right down to it, there's not that much difference between Zion and Ayton at this juncture of their careers, except Ayton, for all his flaws, has probably been more productive and dependable.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
That's the point. Zion is being paid on projection. Why wasn't a then 22 year old Ayton?

You'll have to ask Sarver and JJ. They may very well look like the smartest men in the room if the KD trade happens, but if it doesn't, this decision will look foolish.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Indeed... the Suns seem to have a habit of doing stuff like that throughout the entire Sarver tenure and I think it's specifically because of the culture he has created. Look at how many players, coaches, FO personnel, and apparently even just regular employees have left the organization with very public bad feelings over the years... and that's only the ones we know of. Cutting off your nose to spite your own face seems to be the MO under him.
watch the Suns sign him for 20 million now

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns might want to keep Ayton rather than give the Jazz something pennies on the dollar.

Gobert is a center and he went for considerable value and I'd prefer Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the Suns had a similar offer for Ayton from the Timberwolves.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns might want to keep Ayton rather than give the Jazz something pennies on the dollar.

Gobert is a center and he went for considerable value and I'd prefer Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You and I totaly agree. Even if we get KD? I am going to be pissed if we get "pennies on the dollar" for Ayton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be crazy if the Suns gift Ayton to the Jazz when I think he is the superior player.

I wouldn't trade Ayton for Gobert straight up. Gobert's game is far too limited.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be crazy if the Suns gift Ayton to the Jazz when I think he is the superior player.

I wouldn't trade Ayton for Gobert straight up. Gobert's game is far too limited.
If the KD trade goes down we still have the monumental task of rounding out the roster and filling holes. If they do this? How the heck are the Suns going to accomplish this. I hope you are not jinxing it. LOL.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the KD trade goes down we still have the monumental task of rounding out the roster and filling holes. If they do this? How the heck are the Suns going to accomplish this. I hope you are not jinxing it. LOL.

Maybe the whole idea needs to be nixed. I keep thinking there are other options if the Suns are not fixated on Durant.

Who knows, maybe it comes together if the Suns let them know they are looking around.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the whole idea needs to be nixed. I keep thinking there are other options if the Suns are not fixated on Durant.

Who knows, maybe it comes together if the Suns let them know they are looking around.
This. I mean if the Suns are offering a ton (sounds like they are) and now appears they are backing out? Maybe that gives us some movement.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA Moratorium on restricted free agent signings ends tomorrow, July 6th.

Another team could conceivably sign Deandre Ayton to an offer sheet on Wednesday.

The Suns would have two days to match, until July 8th.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's after midnight Eastern time. I wonder if we could we hear something about Ayton tonight.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If no one cares about a 23 year old center, let's keep him!

On a reasonable contract, sure. You don't turn around and max out a player that doesn't play like a max player and isn't viewed as a max player around the league. Then you're stuck overpaying for someone who you can't deal without attaching assets to unload.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question… if Ayton was say… the fourth pick in the draft, would anyone think he was worth the Max? I think a lot of people would be looking at him a lot like JJJ.

I think The sheen and potential from being #1 in a loaded draft has propped Ayton up to be more than he is.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question… if Ayton was say… the fourth pick in the draft, would anyone think he was worth the Max? I think a lot of people would be looking at him a lot like JJJ.

I think The sheen and potential from being #1 in a loaded draft has propped Ayton up to be more than he is.
There was a bunch of debate between teams about who they had higher on the draft board (Ayton vs Doncic). Ayton was anything but a concesus #1. That alone doesn’t make me think he is like previous players taken #1.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It certainly has an impact. Same thing happened with Wiggins. He wasn't even close to meeting his expectations, but he got the 5 year max from the Wolves.

The you've got Marvin Bagley getting the other end of the spectrum. Guy isn't even being mentioned in free agent rumors. The stink of being the big miss at the top of that draft is clinging to him hard. Probably going to end up getting paid near the league minimum somewhere.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The you've got Marvin Bagley getting the other end of the spectrum. Guy isn't even being mentioned in free agent rumors. The stink of being the big miss at the top of that draft is clinging to him hard. Probably going to end up getting paid near the league minimum somewhere.

Bagley agreed to a 3 year/$37 million dollar deal with Detroit on the opening day of free agency.

I'm not seeing any details whether it's fully guaranteed or if there are options of any sort. He was traded to Detroit at the deadline last year so I guess they liked what fhey saw enough to give him a few more years. He's just 23 so it's not surprising someone gambled on him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose