The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Zion can be fixed physically. Aaron Nelson is the head of the Pelicans training staff. He was the Suns head trainer during the Nash years and was credited with Nash's longevity, rehabbing Grant Hill, and a number of other players during that time. If he can't get Zion right, I doubt the Suns current staff can.

The Suns already took a chance on Oliver Miller.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This team needs a hard hand. I think they’ve tuned Monty out.
I doubt it. I think the entire team is frustrated and finger pointing, but I dont think tuning out is what's going on.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going to take an early guess and say we trade Ayton to Atlanta for John Collins and the #16 pick. Likely some salary swap too.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Seems highly unlikely we could land Zion and would we want to. But my interest is peaked.
If we have to trade DA that's the type of trade we need to explore even if we have to sweeten the deal somehow.
I don't want to see a single GD draft pick coming in for a DA trade. Mainly because I don't trust the front office to use them properly anymore.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take an early guess and say we trade Ayton to Atlanta for John Collins and the #16 pick. Likely some salary swap too.

That wouldn't work. Collins makes too much. The most the Suns could take back in a sign and trade for Ayton is around $19 million. Collins makes like $23 million. Players going out in sign and trade deals can't be combined with other outgoing players.

The #16 pick and Capela would work and make more sense because they couldn't play Ayton and Capela together. Plus Capela is under contract for 4 more seasons. There's no way they'd pay a backup that much.

Capella and #16 is probably as good as we'd get in return.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That wouldn't work. Collins makes too much. The most the Suns could take back in a sign and trade for Ayton is around $19 million. Collins makes like $23 million. Players going out in sign and trade deals can't be combined with other outgoing players.

The #16 pick and Capela would work and make more sense because they couldn't play Ayton and Capela together. Plus Capela is under contract for 4 more seasons. There's no way they'd pay a backup that much.

That's wrong. Multiple players can be included in sign and trades.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you bring Capella in you better bring in another option on offense cause we would be god awful

Capella, Crowder and Bridges on the floor together is ugly.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you bring Capella in you better bring in another option on offense cause we would be god awful

Capella, Crowder and Bridges on the floor together is ugly.

Ayton was spoon fed almost all of his baskets. The offense wouldn't change much, if at all, with Capela.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton was spoon fed almost all of his baskets. The offense wouldn't change much, if at all, with Capela.

That’s not true at all.

Ayton has a very good post game especially with his hook and jump shot. He’s pretty much money mid range and in. Matter fact Ayton’s best stretch of the season happened when Paul was out.

Capela had only averaged double digit FGA twice in his career he’s not an offensive option at all and never has been.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Capela would have to come out of the game at crunch time because of his free throw shooting.

Also he wouldn't be able to spread the court with his outside shooting.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Capela would be a target if the Suns should consider a sign and trade with Ayton.

This is getting hard for me. We can get rid of Ayton but we still have a huge hole at PF

That position between Crowder and Craig just gave us nothing at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is getting hard for me. We can get rid of Ayton but we still have a huge hole at PF

That position between Crowder and Craig just gave us nothing at all.

It's going to be hard to keep talking about this until July 1st though 8th.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Capela would be a target if the Suns should consider a sign and trade with Ayton.

You used to be high on Capela. Not much has changed in his game. He's a better rebounder than Ayton, blocks almost twice as many shots, and turns it over a lot less. He shoots pretty close to the same percentage from the field. Ayton isn't a stretch big like Brook Lopez. Our spacing would be similar.

Look at their stats last year...

AzCards777

Rookie
Reaction score
Saw a proposal on social media...of Myles Turner and Duarte for Ayton.

I wouldn't mind that. Duarte will be a star and Turner can bring what Ayton brings now moreless.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You used to be high on Capela. Not much has changed in his game. He's a better rebounder than Ayton, blocks almost twice as many shots, and turns it over a lot less. He shoots pretty close to the same percentage from the field. Ayton isn't a stretch big like Brook Lopez. Our spacing would be similar.

My tastes have grown more sophisticated over the years. :wink2:

I think the Suns can do better than Capela and #16.

If not, keep Ayton and hope everything works out or trade him down the road.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He blocks shots because he’s a good weak side defender much like a McGee.

He turns it over a lot less because he never touches the ball and isn’t asked to. He gets his points off rim running and put backs. He’s not a legit offensive weapon and it’s really not even up for question. He’s only averaged double digit FGA twice in his career.

And he shoot’s 47% from the line. You can’t play him in close games. We’ve literally seen hack-a-Capela in games.

Listen I like Capela but you cannot play him in a line up with Crowder and Bridges that’s 3 guys who can’t get there own shot or create.

Now if you can get Collins AND Capela you might have something. Collins would be a massive up grade over Crowder.

The best we could do is keep Ayton and get Collins to play the 4

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Saw a proposal on social media...of Myles Turner and Duarte for Ayton.

I wouldn't mind that. Duarte will be a star and Turner can bring what Ayton brings now moreless.

Would ask for TJ McConnell in the package because He’s the best player in NBA history and we are in need of PG depth since Cam Payne forgot how to dribble a basketball.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would ask for TJ McConnell in the package because He’s the best player in NBA history and we are in need of PG depth since Cam Payne forgot how to dribble a basketball.

Idk man

Matthew Delavadova has gotta be in the running for best player ever.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The term Max is what puts guys off but look at all the guys who have gotten it. Ayton is better and more valuable than a lot of them. It’s an interesting read.

Honestly it’s the market price for a player like him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The term Max is what puts guys off but look at all the guys who have gotten it. Ayton is better and more valuable than a lot of them. It’s an interesting read.

Honestly it’s the market price for a player like him.
Very few posters here would argue against this. He's going to get the max and most of us know it. Whether the team that gives him that contract is happy a few years later is the real question. But even that question doesn't matter because given the situation we're in we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot if we did anything other than re-sign him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose