The Ayton Plan

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
The only way I see this works is if all the Suns keep bringing up "Pay the man" stuff, and make Ayton feel loved. They have to bring him the love. The only way they can do that, is make it against Sarver.

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Which is why the rest of the NBA laughs at us!

Sarver still doesn't understand that basketball ain't banking, and the consequence of this is an angry player, and an issue that could potentially hang over this team like a dark cloud the entire season. Sarver thought he could bully Ayton into a below market deal, and failed. Sarver's leverage is worthless if Ayton tells him to pound sand.

Maybe motivational ploy works, but it has just as good a chance of blowing up in our faces.
For any fan who has pulled for this team for a long time, we can all point out all of the risks that Colangelo took with this team.

While he never won a title, the Colangelo led Suns were one of the most consistently good sports franchises in North America. He traded for Penny, He traded for whats his stupid face from Denver, and many other trades where there was a risk involved.

Signing Ayton DOES have some risk, but the pay off is a CHAMPIONSHIP. And if you don't believe that, TRADE HIM NOW.

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get that. If Ayton is logical then this works. If Ayton is a human with feelings, he may feel upset he has to prove it when his peers he feels he is better than, received the max. Maybe his agent tells him to stay and get paid. I hope so. I posted elsewhere not knowing how Ayton feels it could go either way,

None of Ayton's peers have been suspended for PED's either, which tanked our entire season. I'm not saying it's right but he is the one who created the narratives that set him apart in a negative way. He has the right to feel slighted but his last 3 years aren't without incident.

Yuma

Reaction score
None of Ayton's peers have been suspended for PED's either, which tanked our entire season. I'm not saying it's right but he is the one who created the narratives that set him apart in a negative way. He has the right to feel slighted but his last 3 years aren't without incident.
I get that. Does Ayton? I mean people were telling him how great he was in the playoffs. Articles and media people kept telling him how good he was.

Yuma

Reaction score
For any fan who has pulled for this team for a long time, we can all point out all of the risks that Colangelo took with this team.

While he never won a title, the Colangelo led Suns were one of the most consistently good sports franchises in North America. He traded for Penny, He traded for whats his stupid face from Denver, and many other trades where there was a risk involved.

Signing Ayton DOES have some risk, but the pay off is a CHAMPIONSHIP. And if you don't believe that, TRADE HIM NOW.
At one point we had the third most franchise wins in NBA history total from consistently winning under Colangelo.

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
At one point we had the third most franchise wins in NBA history total from consistently winning under Colangelo.
I think the Suns winning percentage has slipped to like 8th now.

Blame baseball for Colangelo divesting himself of the Suns. Just another reason for me to hate that sport.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it was winning percentage, not most wins. And Sarver's ego wiped that out.

Yuma

Reaction score
On a personal level, the guy became a father for the first time, so emotionally he wants security.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess maybe I'd feel like some of you do if I really thought signing Ayton right now actually meant championship this season or next.

I thought we'd have a shot at winning it this season and probably next by signing DA early and I'm not at all sure that changes by signing him later. Not signing him worries me more a few years down the road, just like signing him worries me more a few years down the road.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that is the case any longer but we still are one of the most winning franchises in any sport without a title. They have the highest percentage of playoff appearances of any title-less franchise with 29 appearances in 42 seasons (69%). No team has participated in more playoff games, 274, without winning a championship.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Even with the Suns finally clawing back into relevance AND even if Ayton ultimate does resign a longer term contract here, Sarver is still one of the ultimate horse's behinds when it comes to sports franchise ownership/stewardship. The guy is an absolute arrogant clown who ultimately cannot get out of his own way.

Assuming Ayton eventually just decides he wants to remain in Phoenix because he will get more money in RFA (and maybe because it's "home"), how much motivation is he going to have long term to improve here if he feels like Sarver was trying to strong arm him in contract negotiations? Even if he decides to stays here just purely for financial reasons, this approach by Sarver is anything but likely going to foster the kind of goodwill that gets Ayton to go above and beyond to max out his own potential.

Sarver shouldn't own a pro sports team at all. And it's really a shame that it has to be the Suns, which had a fairly proud heritage before he sullied it.

Yuma

Reaction score
Reading that, I see where Sarver is saving money by just matching a restricted offer. I also see where you lose control of a player sooner. Taking a risk. I keep thinking of how Valley sports analysts keep saying, why would you mess with that locker room good will?

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns winning percentage has slipped to like 8th now.

Blame baseball for Colangelo divesting himself of the Suns. Just another reason for me to hate that sport.

at least he won us a damn title! and the greatest World Series of all time, in which I went to EVERY home game (but only remember 3 of after blacking out in the 3rd inning of Game 6. Less said about that whole thing the better!).