The Ayton Plan

Proximo

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Say he goes out and plays great. If a team comes along and offered his the max with all the extras couldn’t he take it? The suns could offer him an extra year right?

If I’m Ayton I ain’t coming back here and I tell my agent to make it clear
Good thing you are not Ayton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say he goes out and plays great. If a team comes along and offered his the max with all the extras couldn’t he take it? The suns could offer him an extra year right?

If I’m Ayton I ain’t coming back here and I tell my agent to make it clear

I understand the Suns can offer Ayton a better contract with more salary increases and the extra year if he decides to stay in restricted free agency.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Any agent with half a brain is going to tell him to resign with the suns if at all possible to get the additional $50 million dollar deal.
Hardballing people into positions they don't want is no way to build a long term relationship.

You may be right, he might re-sign with the Suns and this might all be water under the bridge.

Then again, maybe he does feel disrespected, and performs so well that he decides to go elsewhere. Plenty of players have taken less to leave a situation, and Ayton wouldn't be the first.

This is just all so stupid. Ayton clearly deserves the 170 or so max, and if he plays like a superstar, he SHOULD be compensated as much. This is a self inflicted injury that could have been solved by just paying Ayton market value. Sarver talked a big game, but failed again when it matters the most.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any agent with half a brain is going to tell him to resign with the suns if at all possible to get the additional $50 million dollar deal.

It can be an emotional thing. People don't always look at the math if they are unhappy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sign and trade.
Sure that's a possibility but it still can't be for the max he'd get if he signed and stayed. It would cost him a lot of money and one less year if it's a sign and trade. More likely, if he insists on leaving, he will accept a 3 year max deal from someone so that he can get that max plus walk in 3 seasons as an unrestricted FA.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure that's a possibility but it still can't be for the max he'd get if he signed and stayed. It would cost him a lot of money and one less year if it's a sign and trade. More likely, if he insists on leaving, he will accept a 3 year max deal from someone so that he can get that max plus walk in 3 seasons as an unrestricted FA.
Sign and trades happen all the time to appease both sides. Ayton is going to miss that extra year or money by a long shot with the goal as you state to get or go where he wants in 3 seasons.

Anybody that thinks the extra year and money is going to stop a disgruntled player from leaving hasn't been paying attention ton the NBA for the last decade.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I hate Robert Sarver. I used to be a huge Suns fan, but not really anymore. This year started to draw me back in, but Sarver is still such a black cloud over this team.

cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the Suns can offer Ayton a better contract with more salary increases and the extra year if he decides to stay in restricted free agency.

Why do you think they’d do this instead of just saying they’d match any offer?

cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll be honest... sitting on almost half of the MLE now rubs me the wrong way as well. Didn’t want to make a stink of it at the time, but between the no Ayton deal and sitting on cap space when we still need another PF who can play, and some were available, just have a bad taste in my mouth.

And please save your “we can offer buyout guys more money now!” takes for someone else. Buyout guys are usually Uber-wealthy and are going to go to the Lakers or Nets first, and two or three million bucks ain’t swaying that decision.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sign and trades happen all the time to appease both sides. Ayton is going to miss that extra year or money by a long shot with the goal as you state to get or go where he wants in 3 seasons.
Sign and trades aren't as common anymore, I believe. They happen but the original team has far less leverage now because they can't sign the player to anything more than what's available to the buying team other than cap assistance.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you think they’d do this instead of just saying they’d match any offer?

Maybe Ayton signs before exploring free agency because he wants to stay and the Suns can offer more money over the life of the contract with better salary increases and the extra year.

If Ayton signs elsewhere he will probably want a shorter contract so he can opt out sooner.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign and trades aren't as common anymore, I believe. They happen but the original team has far less leverage now because they can't sign the player to anything more than what's available to the buying team other than cap assistance.
The only reason teams agree to them is so they get something in return. The originating team has always been at a disadvantage on these trades. Everybody knows the player wants out.

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
It is true Ayton came make more salary here with us than elsewhere.

There are bigger markets where players can make more money outside of salary. The LAs, New Yorks, etc. Sometimes players can make up money otherwise. They can also get bigger shoe deals, etc, gaining a bigger market presence.

So logically, Ayton could make more salary here, but maybe make more money overall elsewhere.

Then there's the emotional component. DA may feel disrespected, or have negative feelings about playing for Sarver going forward.

I know recently the company I was working for, showed me no loyalty. I took a risk on myself, and found a job that actually pays more. I have quit working for a couple companies in my lifetime and was in position to tell them I did not feel they were loyal to me, so I left. I also have worked lower paying jobs when I felt loyal to the owners and felt they were trying their best to support me.

Hopefully DA balls out this season, we win a championship, then he has all the avenues professionally open up for him!