The Ayton Plan

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That article implies that the front office doesn't think Ayton is in the same class as Michael Porter Jr. That is complete crap, and no way do I believe that. Now, maybe I can believe they don't think he's on the same level as Luka and Trae, but MPJ? That's a joke if true.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That article implies that the front office doesn't think Ayton is in the same class as Michael Porter Jr. That is complete crap, and no way do I believe that. Now, maybe I can believe they don't think he's on the same level as Luka and Trae, but MPJ? That's a joke if true.
I 100% believe that it's a negotiating tactic in a lame attempt for the Org to save money. I agree with you that it's not actually something that the Org actually believes. That ship sailed with his playoff emergence. Now if he totally sucks it up to start this season?!? Maybe they get some leverage back. As of now? I don't think they have any.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
To me, the max is a no-brainer at this point. What might NOT be, however, are guarantees and bonuses. This is the Ayton camp's last ditch way to get what they want.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, the max is a no-brainer at this point. What might NOT be, however, are guarantees and bonuses. This is the Ayton camp's last ditch way to get what they want.
You see that is fair in my mind. Negotiate on guarantees and bonuses. That's acceptable performance based incentives. However, if the team is really playing the "you might not be as good as other in your class" card? Why? It's just going to piss him off and you are going to have to cave anyway on the max. It's a given after the playoffs.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That is where I have no problem paying him. If he plays well enough to make all NBA team, then that's money well spent. What you don't want his him just going through the motions after receiving a contract.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is where I have no problem paying him. If he plays well enough to make all NBA team, then that's money well spent. What you don't want his him just going through the motions after receiving a contract.
If he is that type of player mentally? You are going to get that out of him no matter what you pay him. There is no way to avoid that.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Only Sarver could blow this. Instead of paying Ayton and Bridges, he's going to mess around and create bad feelings. Joe Johnson all over again, and same penny wise pound foolish mentality.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only Sarver could blow this. Instead of paying Ayton and Bridges, he's going to mess around and create bad feelings. Joe Johnson all over again, and same penny wise pound foolish mentality.
Man I hope it doesn't go this far.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Man I hope it doesn't go this far.
Me too, but even the fact that we're at this point is disappointing, and not a great sign. When MPJ and SGA signed max contracts, the die was cast. Any diddling around with Ayton at this point becomes embarassing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That is a pretty big leap considering it's been 15 years since the Joe Johnson fiasco. And James Jones is taking part in the negotiations. Both those things have earned Sarver at least some benefit of the doubt.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too, but even the fact that we're at this point is disappointing, and not a great sign. When MPJ and SGA signed max contracts, the die was cast. Any diddling around with Ayton at this point becomes embarassing.
This is a rookie contract extension. You are still paying him partially on potential to grow. The Suns better not screw around. When it comes to his next contract? Fine. Evaluate and do what you need to do.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is complete stupidity if true. Ayton has max value around the league - so you have to give him that contract whether you want to or not. Even if you are a cheap and think it is an overpay, you still pay it and trade him if you have to.

Under no circumstances is this a good look. It just looks like incompetence.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is complete stupidity if true. Ayton has max value around the league - so you have to give him that contract whether you want to or not. Even if you are a cheap and think it is an overpay, you still pay it and trade him if you have to.

Yeah. This isn’t a good look. The market is what it is, especially after Ayton stepped up for the overwhelming majority of the playoffs.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That is a pretty big leap considering it's been 15 years since the Joe Johnson fiasco. And James Jones is taking part in the negotiations. Both those things have earned Sarver at least some benefit of the doubt.
Why should there be any discussion at this point? You sign him to a max extension, and everyone is happy. He's just a kid, not a guy that's signing his last contract. Alienating him or playing games at this point is just stupid.

What's the alternative? What's a realistic alternative to paying him the max, when he'd easily get it on the open market? This is not the time to mess around.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Doesn't imply that. It states it flat out quite bluntly.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. This isn’t a good look. The market is what it is, especially after Ayton stepped up for the overwhelming majority of the playoffs.
This. IF this is true? You just blew a bunch of capital changing the perception of the franchise and the work James Jones has been doing IMO.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Here's the deal: If you don't give Ayton the max, he walks after this season. So what do you do with the money you save? As much as we like to boast about our finals trip last year, free agents arent going to be banging on the door to become Phoenix Suns. They're gonna be flooding the major markets.

All that goodwill built up last season is up in smoke if Sarver/Jones continue to clown around.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why should there be any discussion at this point? You sign him to a max extension, and everyone is happy. He's just a kid, not a guy that's signing his last contract. Alienating him or playing games at this point is just stupid.

What's the alternative? What's a realistic alternative to paying him the max, when he'd easily get it on the open market? This is not the time to mess around.
That's why we're talking about more than just a max extension. There are bonuses, incentives, options, etc. It's not a black and white negotiation--that only happens if you're Lebron James or another superstar, which Ayton isn't.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Just remember who on this board called it first, when nobody else would...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Do we know for sure that James Jones is playing any role in this? Again, the Woj article says ownership, not management.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Actually, it looks like commitment to money over winning and competing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember who on this board called it first, when nobody else would...

If you’re so confident, put your money where your mouth is. If he signs a MAX deal, you admit you’re wrong and leave the board forever.

You welched the last time we did this like a coward. Put up or shut up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why we're talking about more than just a max extension. There are bonuses, incentives, options, etc. It's not a black and white negotiation--that only happens if you're Lebron James or another superstar, which Ayton isn't.
Yeah, this story is completely loaded against Sarver but I highly doubt Woj has any access to the front office doings. Until I see otherwise, I'm going to assume they are arguing over which max contract is his comp. Ayton's agent is pushing for Luka treatment, the FO wants to deal with him like he's MPJ. In the end, it will probably land between them.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you’re so confident, put your money where your mouth is. If he signs a MAX deal, you admit you’re wrong and leave the board forever.

You welched the last time we did this like a coward. Put up or shut up.

And what will YOU do if this turns into another Joe Johnson situation?

You keep telling me to put my money where my mouth is (and in the bet you are referencing I DID, and I took the three month ban without objection). YOU, on the other hand, have yet to offer up a single thing.

A bet is not a bet if it's one-sided.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If this goes south, you can take solace in the nuance of the negotiations.

This is a black and white negotiation - either you pay him what the market dictates, or you risk alienating him or having him walk. Sarver et al can play as many semantic games as they want, but this is not a complicated negotiation. Pay the man.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave