The Ayton Plan

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This player would have moved the needle.

Tyrese Haliburton
I have to agree the Suns missed on him. However, hindsight is 20/20. The Suns were trying to fill the roster with veterans with the players they had available. They also thought they had our future backup in Cam Payne. At the time, their choice was go with an unproven rookie who fell down the board draft night or go with Cam (who seemingly proved himself) and run with a future HOF in CP3. At the time Cam looked like a diamond in the rough. So I don't blame the Suns for thinking they didn't need Haliburton for the run they were about to make.

However, in hindsight it would have been a great to nail that pick and get him instead of taking Smith.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that if the Suns missed on him. However, hindsight is 20/20. The Suns were trying to fill the roster with veterans with the players they had available. They also thought they had our future backup in Cam Payne. At the time, their choice was go with an unproven rookie who fell down the board draft night or go with Cam (who seemingly proved himself) and run with a future HOF in CP3. At the time Cam looked like a diamond in the rough. So I don't blame the Suns for thinking they didn't need Haliburton for the run they were about to make.

However, in hindsight it would have been a great to nail that pick and get him instead of taking Smith.

I would be happy if the Suns kept Smith. One less area of need.

We need something new to talk about. I'm so ready to talk about even a 2nd round pick.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bucher says sources are telling him Ayton won't be back. He talks about many trade scenarios. One with Irving landing with the Mavs. Seems like all eyes are on Detroit for a landing spot for Ayton. Man...this better be a 3 way team deal or the Suns are going to get screwed while the Mavs who beat us could potentially get better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bucher says sources are telling him Ayton won't be back. He talks about many trade scenarios. One with Irving landing with the Mavs. Seems like all eyes are on Detroit for a landing spot for Ayton. Man...this better be a 3 way team deal or the Suns are going to get screwed while the Mavs who beat us could potentially get better.

Let's just deal directly with the Magic. I like their options better.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's just deal directly with the Magic. I like their options better.
Especially with Grant gone now from the Pistons. It would have to be a 3 team trade for the Suns to get anything close to value in return.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially with Grant gone now from the Pistons. It would have to be a 3 team trade for the Suns to get anything close to value in return.

The Pistons might call the Suns bluff on Ayton and sign him to an offer sheet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not a time for bluffing. Match it.

Are you confident James Jones would match it?

The Pistons have enough money to go after two large salary players so they can wait.

If the Suns match an offer to keep Ayton, they have to keep him for a designated period before trading him.