The Ayton Plan

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I think point guard is an area of need. Ideally the Suns should have drafted a point guard and be grooming him for the future.

The Mavericks just ran over the Suns in the playoffs with their three point guards. The Suns reserves couldn't compete with them.
I am halfway with Hoop on this and you. I mean PG is 100% a point of need on this team. However, a Veteran PG. Not a rookie who won't contribute for a couple years. We are in win now mode. Having a young rookie PG wouldn't have helped us against the Mavs. I also doubt Monty plays a young player that much anyway.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am halfway with Hoop on this and you. I mean PG is 100% a point of need on this team. However, a Veteran PG. Not a rookie who won't contribute for a couple years. We are in win now mode. Having a young rookie PG wouldn't have helped us against the Mavs. I also doubt Monty plays a young player that much anyway.

I've made myself abundantly clear about the 2020 draft.

big al

Veteran
Reaction score
Everything I've read is that the Hawks are really high on Okungwu which is one reason they are shopping Collins so hard. Trae, Hunter, and Okungwu are who the key pieces they want to keep.

The perceived indifference many of us see or feel is more pronounced after game 6 of the playoffs with the Mavericks.

I don't get it. I'd rather see anger than indifference.
Yeah you wonder is CP3 just going to come by for the check.

big al

Veteran
Reaction score
Everything I've read is that the Hawks are really high on Okungwu which is one reason they are shopping Collins so hard. Trae, Hunter, and Okungwu are who the key pieces they want to keep.

The perceived indifference many of us see or feel is more pronounced after game 6 of the playoffs with the Mavericks.

I don't get it. I'd rather see anger than indifference.
You wonder is CP3 just going to come by for the check

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've made myself abundantly clear about the 2020 draft.
I gotcha. However, the same post above you talked about drafting a young PG and then the Suns not having enough PG help. I took that as you thought a young PG could help against the Mavs. I was specifically referring to that. That player would never get off the bench with Monty and only a veteran PG could have helped against the Mavs. If you were not saying that, it wasn't clear.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotcha. However, the same post above you talked about drafting a young PG and then the Suns not having enough PG help. I took that as you thought a young PG could help against the Mavs. I was specifically referring to that. That player would never get off the bench with Monty and only a veteran PG could have helped against the Mavs. If you were not saying that, it wasn't clear.

I don't see any discrepancy with what I was saying. See below.

"I disagree. I think point guard is an area of need. Ideally the Suns should have drafted a point guard and be grooming him for the future.

The Mavericks just ran over the Suns in the playoffs with their three point guards. The Suns reserves couldn't compete with them."

------------------------------

If the Suns should somehow find a way to draft a point guard in the 2022 draft, he will likely take time to groom him. That doesn't mean they shouldn't draft one or it's a luxury.

Point guard is one of the most important positions on the court.

95pro

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think Chris Paul is that kind of player but I think he is sending a message to anyone listening.

IMO, there is a chemistry or coaching issue with the team.

The team was just raving about their comradery while meeting up for Mcgees softball game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team was just raving about their comradery while meeting up for Mcgees softball game.

I wouldn't expect anything else especially from those that attended.

What I didn't see much of in the Mavericks series (perhaps I missed it) is Chris Paul coaching up the team.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see any discrepancy with what I was saying. See below.

"I disagree. I think point guard is an area of need. Ideally the Suns should have drafted a point guard and be grooming him for the future.

The Mavericks just ran over the Suns in the playoffs with their three point guards. The Suns reserves couldn't compete with them."

------------------------------

If the Suns should somehow find a way to draft a point guard in the 2022 draft, he will likely take time to groom him. That doesn't mean they shouldn't draft one or it's a luxury.

Point guard is one of the most important positions on the court.
OK, then my response was appropriate. A young player doesn't get off the Bench for Monty nor does he move the needle with the Mavs IMO. If you are specifically referring to the 2022 draft then I agree with Hoop. It's a luxury right now. Don't get me wrong, if you have a roster spot and can draft one that would be great. However, the focus is a little different on team trying to win in the Paul window.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was McGee's softball game that he organized for his charity, of course he was playing.

Ayton is also a free agent, albeit restricted. I don't see reason to read into his participation or lack thereof.
Have you not been following this forum lately? Since our playoff embarrassment it seems like every word, every gesture, every action leads to sweeping generalizations about this team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, then my response was appropriate. A young player doesn't get off the Bench for Monty nor does he move the needle with the Mavs IMO. If you are specifically referring to the 2022 draft then I agree with Hoop. It's a luxury right now. Don't get me wrong, if you have a roster spot and can draft one that would be great. However, the focus is a little different on team trying to win in the Paul window.

My comments refer back to the 2020 draft.

I believe in having a young point guard in the pipeline long before he is needed to play.

Btw, it would take much to be better than Payne and Payton during the 2021-22 playoffs.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My comments refer back to the 2020 draft.

I believe in having a young point guard in the pipeline long before he is needed to play.

Btw, it would take much to be better than Payne and Payton during the 2021-22 playoffs.
I don't recall the details. I am assuming you are saying instead of Smith they should have drafted a PG at that pick? Who was available at that time? I don't recall.

Also, I seriously doubt a young PG still moves the needle much. The Suns had much bigger problems than point guard (even though that was one of them). To me you needed a player like Gordon to move the needle this playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recall the details. I am assuming you are saying instead of Smith they should have drafted a PG at that pick? Who was available at that time? I don't recall.

Also, I seriously doubt a young PG still moves the needle much. The Suns had much bigger problems than point guard (even though that was one of them).

This player would have moved the needle.

Tyrese Haliburton