The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Language. Yes, I'm a stickler for that even though it is one word.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It happens. Even Forest Gump knew that. :cool:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? We had no NBA quality PG not long ago and have an All NBA PG now. It would be nice to have a PGOTF but if we somehow stumbled into one since acquiring CP3 then he would have been dealt to bolster other parts of the rotation.

Having a PGotF is a luxury, one that few teams have, especially contenders. Suns fans have been spoiled by having virtually every HoF PG over the last 30 years pass through the organization at some point. We went from KJ to Kidd to Marbury to Nash to Dragic to Bledsoe to CP3. I can't think of another teams that's had as much talent at PG as Phoenix in the last 35 years. Maybe the Mavericks are the closest since they also had Kidd, Nash, and now Luka.

Chris Paul is 37 and prone to injury. Those who do not plan, plan to fail. I remember the point guard drought before Ricky Rubio.

The Mavericks had three point guards this past season capable of starting.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul is 37 and prone to injury. Those who do not plan, plan to fail. I remember the point guard drought before Ricky Rubio.

The Mavericks had three point guards this past season capable of starting.

And the Suns have 2 PG's capable of starting. Cam Payne was a solid starter when he filled in for CP3. Unfortunately he struggled later in the season getting accustomed to coming off the bench again but the Suns have 2 good PG's. Payne isn't the answer long term but he's fine now as a backup or occasional starter.

We need shot creators outside of the PG position more than another PG. That was our biggest flaw. Outside of Paul, Payne, and Booker there wasn't anyone who score consistently by creating their own offense.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some team/agent signaling.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the Suns have 2 PG's capable of starting. Cam Payne was a solid starter when he filled in for CP3. Unfortunately he struggled later in the season getting accustomed to coming off the bench again but the Suns have 2 good PG's. Payne isn't the answer long term but he's fine now as a backup or occasional starter.

We need shot creators outside of the PG position more than another PG. That was our biggest flaw. Outside of Paul, Payne, and Booker there wasn't anyone who score consistently by creating their own offense.

We can agree the Suns need shot creators the most.

I don't have a lot of confidence in the Suns back up point guards who likely will be forced into starting in a number of games next season either due to injury or to rest Chris Paul. Suns need someone besides Payne who can start when necessary, also better than Payton and Holiday.

It would be nice if Iffe turned into that player but that may be a long shot.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cam Payne can't start in this league. If Cam Payne is your day to day starter you are not making the playoffs. Guys are paid to fill in small gaps when other guys are out. That's the MOST you can expect a guy like Cam Payne to do. He will never be a day to day starter on a playoff team.

95pro

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ayton did not make it to the softball game. Interesting considering McGee is a FA and Ayton is part of the team LOL

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Payne can't start in this league. If Cam Payne is your day to day starter you are not making the playoffs. Guys are paid to fill in small gaps when other guys are out. That's the MOST you can expect a guy like Cam Payne to do. He will never be a day to day starter on a playoff team.

Cam Payne has delivered quite well as a starter. I'm not saying I want him as our starter but I think he could start on a playoff team, just not a contender.

He's more than capable as a temporary starter, around 10-20 games a year. Which is better than a lot of backup PG's on contenders.

I'm not sure why this is even being debated though. I said PGotF is a luxury for a contender, not a need. It'd be nice to have one but we don't need one. PG is not a problem that needs to be addressed right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 sounds done. Doesn't sound like he even cares what happens.

The perceived indifference many of us see or feel is more pronounced after game 6 of the playoffs with the Mavericks.

I don't get it. I'd rather see anger than indifference.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton did not make it to the softball game. Interesting considering McGee is a FA and Ayton is part of the team LOL

It was McGee's softball game that he organized for his charity, of course he was playing.

Ayton is also a free agent, albeit restricted. I don't see reason to read into his participation or lack thereof.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne has delivered quite well as a starter. I'm not saying I want him as our starter but I think he could start on a playoff team, just not a contender.

He's more than capable as a temporary starter, around 10-20 games a year. Which is better than a lot of backup PG's on contenders.

I'm not sure why this is even being debated though. I said PGotF is a luxury for a contender, not a need. It'd be nice to have one but we don't need one. PG is not a problem that needs to be addressed right now.
Cam Payne did well filling in on a limited bases. That's what you pay bench players for. So, we shouldn't be shocked if a bench player does the job he is being paid for. Payne wasn't even close to the same player last year on a team that dominated most of the league in the regular season. His 3 point shooting was abysmal. His +/- was horrible when on the floor. He didn't have back to back double digit games after mid-march and was just terrible the rest of the way and into the playoffs.

PGotF might be a luxury but we have to start thinking about that now don't we? I mean Paul is on his last leg here. He is hurt all the time. Can't be counted on. It would be nice to get someone young on the roster and give them time to develop. However, I agree it's a luxury for a team in WIN NOW mode. I think we are more desperate for a second starting PG. I mean desperate. Cam Payne is not the answer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I disagree. I think point guard is an area of need. Ideally the Suns should have drafted a point guard and be grooming him for the future.

The Mavericks just ran over the Suns in the playoffs with their three point guards. The Suns reserves couldn't compete with them.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseyslayer