The Ayton Plan

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Player options....are part of most contracts.
If you're just talking player options, I don't think that's the case. I don't think it's all that common for rookie scale contract extensions and in this case, no way should Ayton qualify for it IMO.

With his up and down play and "all I care about is money" kind of comments, a player option seems risky for us. If the option year is the holdup and Ayton's camp absolutely won't budge, we should be thinking about trade partners over the next two years or hold him for a sign and trade when his 5 years are up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what? I see them part of contract extensions all the time.
I think you'll find they are rarely in play for a player with just 3 years in the league. Later, when the player is fully established, that might change but they don't have the leverage this early in their careers.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're just talking player options, I don't think that's the case. I don't think it's all that common for rookie scale contract extensions and in this case, no way should Ayton qualify for it IMO.

With his up and down play and "all I care about is money" kind of comments, a player option seems risky for us. If the option year is the holdup and Ayton's camp absolutely won't budge, we should be thinking about trade partners over the next two years or hold him for a sign and trade when his 5 years are up.

Yeah. The 4th and 5th seasons are when teams make their money back on 5 year extensions when salaries escalate.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you'll find they are rarely in play for a player with just 3 years in the league. Later, when the player is fully established, that might change but they don't have the leverage this early in their careers.
Not true for players that are considered towards the top in their positions. As I stated, I see it all the time. Maybe not for the average rookie contract.

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Based on what? I see them part of contract extensions all the time.

Based on contracts you see signed regularly. Look around at various deals on Spotrac.com and they list contract details for all players and all teams. You see more straight deals than incentived because of how incentives work in the NBA, which you can read up on at CBAFAQ.com Options are more common than bonuses but most deals don't contain that I've seen.

TJ

Bobby Sarvs
Reaction score
At this point, I would be stunned if Ayton is extended by the 18th.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point, I would be stunned if Ayton is extended by the 18th.
I doubt it too. His numbers for the last 3 years have been good. I'm not sure how to describe it but he looked so pedestrian while putting up those numbers. He looked like he wasn't giving 100% but I have always liked the guy. In fact the last jersey I bought before his was Barkley's. What I saw from him in the playoffs was very impressive (not so much for games 3-6 in the finals) but still he looked like a different player. Where was that the last 3 years? He is so young and has played basketball for a relatively short time so if he gives the effort the sky is the limit.

itlnsunsfan

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I realize that they couldn't do to Ayton what they did to Ayton.

Like i said earlier, it is a conundrum. He will get the max and is worth the max. But as i also said, it will be a mistake.

edit: i should add, mistake as in crippling us financially which will not allow us to keep our depth we've been having the luxury of having.
Which is more valuable, depth or a foundational piece on the roster?

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How motivated Ayton will be to have a monster year if the deal doesn’t happen.

I can see it going either way if the extension isn't done.

It will be tough suffering through the season for this fan if he isn't. I have to believe/hope James Jones knows what he is doing. When Joe Johnson wasn't extended I was really upset. My feelings are more mixed this time around.

Did Flex take down take down the above tweet?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MylerKurray