The Ayton Plan

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going to take an early guess and say we trade Ayton to Atlanta for John Collins and the #16 pick. Likely some salary swap too.

That wouldn't work. Collins makes too much. The most the Suns could take back in a sign and trade for Ayton is around $19 million. Collins makes like $23 million. Players going out in sign and trade deals can't be combined with other outgoing players.

The #16 pick and Capela would work and make more sense because they couldn't play Ayton and Capela together. Plus Capela is under contract for 4 more seasons. There's no way they'd pay a backup that much.

Capella and #16 is probably as good as we'd get in return.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That wouldn't work. Collins makes too much. The most the Suns could take back in a sign and trade for Ayton is around $19 million. Collins makes like $23 million. Players going out in sign and trade deals can't be combined with other outgoing players.

The #16 pick and Capela would work and make more sense because they couldn't play Ayton and Capela together. Plus Capela is under contract for 4 more seasons. There's no way they'd pay a backup that much.

That's wrong. Multiple players can be included in sign and trades.

Finito

Banned
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

If you bring Capella in you better bring in another option on offense cause we would be god awful

Capella, Crowder and Bridges on the floor together is ugly.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you bring Capella in you better bring in another option on offense cause we would be god awful

Capella, Crowder and Bridges on the floor together is ugly.

Ayton was spoon fed almost all of his baskets. The offense wouldn't change much, if at all, with Capela.

Finito

Banned
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Ayton was spoon fed almost all of his baskets. The offense wouldn't change much, if at all, with Capela.

That’s not true at all.

Ayton has a very good post game especially with his hook and jump shot. He’s pretty much money mid range and in. Matter fact Ayton’s best stretch of the season happened when Paul was out.

Capela had only averaged double digit FGA twice in his career he’s not an offensive option at all and never has been.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Capela would have to come out of the game at crunch time because of his free throw shooting.

Also he wouldn't be able to spread the court with his outside shooting.

Finito

Banned
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Capela would be a target if the Suns should consider a sign and trade with Ayton.

This is getting hard for me. We can get rid of Ayton but we still have a huge hole at PF

That position between Crowder and Craig just gave us nothing at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is getting hard for me. We can get rid of Ayton but we still have a huge hole at PF

That position between Crowder and Craig just gave us nothing at all.

It's going to be hard to keep talking about this until July 1st though 8th.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Capela would be a target if the Suns should consider a sign and trade with Ayton.

You used to be high on Capela. Not much has changed in his game. He's a better rebounder than Ayton, blocks almost twice as many shots, and turns it over a lot less. He shoots pretty close to the same percentage from the field. Ayton isn't a stretch big like Brook Lopez. Our spacing would be similar.

Look at their stats last year...

AzCards777

Rookie
Reaction score
Saw a proposal on social media...of Myles Turner and Duarte for Ayton.

I wouldn't mind that. Duarte will be a star and Turner can bring what Ayton brings now moreless.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You used to be high on Capela. Not much has changed in his game. He's a better rebounder than Ayton, blocks almost twice as many shots, and turns it over a lot less. He shoots pretty close to the same percentage from the field. Ayton isn't a stretch big like Brook Lopez. Our spacing would be similar.

Look at their stats last year...

My tastes have grown more sophisticated over the years. :wink2:

I think the Suns can do better than Capela and #16.

If not, keep Ayton and hope everything works out or trade him down the road.