The Ayton Plan

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think the Suns really wanted Sabonis but they were too good at the time. You just can’t break up a high-60’s win pace team at the deadline.

We need to be realistic in a S&T that we’re not getting an all-star player back. Maybe try for a scoring wing/big from a bad team that may want DA like Jerami Grant or Christian Wood. Also separately revisit Eric Gordon if they’re willing to take Shamet and a lightly protected pick.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the Suns really wanted Sabonis but they were too good at the time. You just can’t break up a high-60’s win pace team at the deadline.

We need to be realistic in a S&T that we’re not getting an all-star player back. Maybe try for a scoring wing/big from a bad team that may want DA like Jerami Grant or Christian Wood. Also separately revisit Eric Gordon if they’re willing to take Shamet and a lightly protected pick.
But...but Flex said it was gonna be a superstar.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Magic have quite a few players I'd be interested in. Wendell Carter Jr, Cole Anthony, Jonathan Isaac, and Franz Wagner.

If we could get 2 of those guys I'd be happy. I think we should also get a pick in return, probably lottery or top 10 protected. If we could get 3 of them, I'd be ecstatic. I know there are some question marks for some of them but I think all have the potential to be good starters, although I'm not sure any would be All-Stars.

cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Magic have quite a few players I'd be interested in. Wendell Carter Jr, Cole Anthony, Jonathan Isaac, and Franz Wagner.

If we could get 2 of those guys I'd be happy. I think we should also get a pick in return, probably lottery or top 10 protected. If we could get 3 of them, I'd be ecstatic. I know there are some question marks for some of them but I think all have the potential to be good starters, although I'm not sure any would be All-Stars.
Lol… they have CAP ROOM. Why would they potentially trade us 3 up and coming players for Ayton when they can just sign him?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Lol… they have CAP ROOM. Why would they potentially trade us 3 up and coming players for Ayton when they can just sign him?
Theoretically, because Ayton is a restricted free agent and the Suns can match any offer they make. That said, I agree with your sentiment- I doubt they'd trade multiple good young players for Ayton.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Where did I say they would give up 3 players? I said I'd be ecstatic if we got 3 of them but I never said they would.

Like SirStefan said, Ayton is restricted and we could match any offer sheet they sign him to. If they're really interested in adding Ayton then they'll need to work out a trade with the Suns so the offer sheet isn't matched.

The Magic are starting to get a crowded frontcourt and it will be worse after they make their pick in the draft. There just isn't enough playing time for all of the Forwards they have. If they can flip a couple players for Ayton to fill their Center spot then they'll also have more cap space to fill other holes.

Nowhere did I say a deal with them is likely for any of their youngsters, let alone multiple.

Finito

Banned
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I’d throw up if we traded him for that package.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton is not the primary reason the Suns lost to the Mavericks.

They lost because they didn't have any play makers and scorers... someone who could create shots for themselves and others. Devin Booker was the Suns only play maker and he was double and triple teamed.

Chris Paul was ineffective supposedly because he had an injury and Cam Payne simply quit producing. Monty wasn't inclined to play Holiday and Payton. We know Payton wasn't the answer and the Suns probably needed more than Holiday although I'm still perplexed why Monty didn't give him a better look.

In the off season, let's fix the point guard position first. At least add a couple more point guards behind Paul that are serviceable. The Mavericks beat the Suns primarily with three point guards: Doncic, Brunson and Dinwiddie. That points to the problem right there.

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
Theoretically, because Ayton is a restricted free agent and the Suns can match any offer they make. That said, I agree with your sentiment- I doubt they'd trade multiple good young players for Ayton.
Also, if there really are multiple bidders for Ayton's services, a sign and trade for some decent pieces is the way to beat out the other suitors.

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
Just remember, we are at max players on the roster. If we trade Ayton for multiple players, we have to get rid of guys!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, if there really are multiple bidders for Ayton's services, a sign and trade for some decent pieces is the way to beat out the other suitors.
Almost every team with cap room has interest but that's because they are all looking for a deal right now. Signing a player of Ayton's ability, age and potential is a huge steal, trading equal or near equal value changes the dynamic considerably.