The Athletic Trade Scenarios

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They show five including the Raiders moving up to #8 and us getting Lamb with their #12. I like this trade.

8. ***TRADE***
Las Vegas Raiders receive:
2020 first-round pick (No. 8 overall)

Arizona Cardinals receive:
2020 first-round pick (No. 12 overall)
2020 third-round pick (No. 80 overall)
2020 fifth-round pick

Las Vegas Raiders – Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson
Watching the Raiders on defense last year, Simmons is the playmaker they are missing. A versatile talent, he is a four-down playmaker who can blitz, cover and stop the run. It is unlikely that Simmons makes it to the No. 12 pick, but if he is still available with the eighth pick, this is a move that makes too much sense for Jon Gruden and Mike Mayock.

They have Burrow at 1, Young 2, Miami trading to 3 for Tua, Wills at 4 to Giants, Okudah to Detroit at 5, Herbert 6, and Jets trading up for Becton at 7.

https://theathletic.com/1580165/202...-up-round-one/?source=dailyemail&redirected=1

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The extra 3rd rounder would be nice, but man I would hate to pass on Simmons when he fits what we need in a WILB so well.

I think if I was GM they would have to sweeten the pot in order for me to trade down. #12 and a second rounder? Maybe I'm listening

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We will be addressing our LB need in free agency. There is simply no way they will go into the draft with that gaping hole and praying Simmons falls.
Yeah, I was going to balk at first, but you're probably right.

I don't really like the trade. A third rounder means nothing to me, but this is basically like handing them back the same deal they did us to come get Rosen.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to balk at first, but you're probably right.

I don't really like the trade. A third rounder means nothing to me, but this is basically like handing them back the same deal they did us to come get Rosen.

If you trade back and take the guy you were going to take at 8, it's very good draft management

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If you trade back and take the guy you were going to take at 8, it's very good draft management
Of course it is. I don't really want a 1st round WR though, and second this is the board that wails and gnashes their teeth about us losing "our guy" when it comes to the Mahomes and Watson thing. Regardless of what we do in the offseason, we'll be connected to Lamb because of Kyler. Giving teams 3 shots to jump us sounds like the perfect opportunity to get sniped.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody wanting to move up it’s a simple as this. You fleece them. THEY want to move up for a player they covet.

Also read the description of Simmons. Is there any team in the draft that couldn’t use a player like that? If Simmons is there and the Raiders want him that bad I want an additional #1 and a fourth and not a penny less.

I don’t think Simmons will be there. If he is, regardless of what we do in free agency, you take him and smile. He will immediately either force his way into the staring lineup or at the very least he will be in every nickel and sub package this defense could dream up.

He can cover. He can blitz. He can tackle. He could even fill in at safety and at times be a nickel corner. If the Cards can’t significantly upgrade at ILB in free agency then Simmons steps in from day one.

IF Simmons, Young and Okudah are gone by the time we are on the podium, then I love the trade mentioned above. If any of those 3 are available I stay right where I am and make the pick.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This BTW, is why the NFL needs to make the NFL draft first and free agency second. Just flip the dates.
We’d like that Chris, but I don’t think the players association would.

Let’s say there are two very good tight ends in free agency. With the 22nd pick team A selects a tight end. It then reduces the opportunity for one of those tight ends to cash in.

As it is now a team that really wants to upgrade their TE situation can’t count on waiting for a TE to fall to them in the draft.

I’m not saying I am right. I’m just saying that is the way I see it.

OP
OP
Reddog

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trade back and both Lamb and Jeudy are there. This is why I haven't been opposed to trading back.
Chris I am with you. That is why I like the trade. I think there could be a run on QBs and OL so 12 would be a great spot and we can use the extra picks. Interesting that Beeton's stock is rising. He is a beast at 6'7" 369 and athletic. I get it. Here is what they said about him re the Jets trade up to 7;

New York Jets (via CAR) – Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville
The Jets need to help their young quarterback and upgrade three or four spots on the offensive line this offseason. Could they sit at No. 11 overall and hope a tackle falls to them? Sure, there is a decent chance one of the projected top-four tackles (Wills, Becton, Tristan Wirfs, Andrew Thomas) will be there. However, if the Jets have a clear top grade on one of the tackles, it makes sense to go and get him. And Becton, with his rare size, strength and movements, might be that guy.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’d like that Chris, but I don’t think the players association would.

Let’s say there are two very good tight ends in free agency. With the 22nd pick team A selects a tight end. It then reduces the opportunity for one of those tight ends to cash in.

As it is now a team that really wants to upgrade their TE situation can’t count on waiting for a TE to fall to them in the draft.

I’m not saying I am right. I’m just saying that is the way I see it.

It's a double edged sword though. Teams may say "Ah we will just draft a guy" and thus guys are paid lower.

If the draft has already happened then you have no choice but to go pay someone to address any weaknesses.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Of course it is. I don't really want a 1st round WR though, and second this is the board that wails and gnashes their teeth about us losing "our guy" when it comes to the Mahomes and Watson thing. Regardless of what we do in the offseason, we'll be connected to Lamb because of Kyler. Giving teams 3 shots to jump us sounds like the perfect opportunity to get sniped.

I think that the draft will be heavily influenced by FA.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
One can use the Steve Martin movie "The Jerk" to describe the current situation which is Keim with the Cardinals. The scene where Martin's character says he's going to bounce back and needs nothing extra (as in past drafts which much like the oil can scene tend to always be defective) but he actually needs all the picks he can get

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave