The Athletic Cards Defense

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is just a massive article on the Cardinals defense. This is a tiny piece on Hicks and Collins. If you don't have The Athletic, it is a great subscription

ix months ago, Jordan Hicks thought his days as a Cardinal might be over. In May, and for the second time in as many seasons, Arizona had drafted a linebacker in the first round. In a rare move for any team, Cardinals general manager Steve Keim publicly stated that rookie Zaven Collins would immediately slide into a starting role.

Hicks got the message: The team’s brass believed that he’d outlasted his usefulness. He requested a trade this summer, but when no deal materialized, he was left with a choice that may ultimately shape his legacy in Arizona. “I had to have a tough conversation with myself,” Hicks said. “Look in the mirror and say, ‘Who do you want to be?’ How do you want to be remembered? How do you want your kids to see you? At the end of the day, what do you represent?'”

The sometimes-awkward dynamic between an established veteran and the young player tasked with replacing him wasn’t new for Hicks. When he was selected by Philadelphia in the third round of the 2015 draft, Eagles linebacker DeMeco Ryans was in his 10th and final NFL season. From the start, Ryans was an invaluable resource for Hicks, no matter the succession plan. Each day, Hicks got a front-row seat to what it looked like for a player to be a leader and a professional — a mentor who showed him how to study film, how to carry himself in the building, how to wear a grin on his face while remaining deeply serious about the job.

“I just thought back on that time, thinking about how (Ryans) treated me, knowing that they had brought me in to kind of be that next step,” Hicks said. “It happened probably faster than everybody thought, but it’s the process that we go through in the NFL at some point.”

So Hicks made his choice. He’d pay the generosity forward: “When I met Zaven, I told him, ‘I’ve been a rookie once. I’ve been in your shoes. I’m gonna help.'”

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards' D also gets props in Sheil Kapadia's week 13 wrapup:
Below are 16 things you need to know about the NFL playoff picture.

[....]

4. The Cardinals have the best defense in the NFC.​

The conversation involving Arizona seems to always revolve around Kyler Murray and Kliff Kingsbury. But their defense has been fantastic, ranking second in EPA per drive, behind only the Bills. The Patriots, Carolina Panthers, and New Orleans Saints round out the top five.

Arizona’s defense is allowing 17.4 points per game, which is best in the NFC and fourth overall. No one would look at the Cardinals’ defensive personnel and think they’re the most talented group in the league. Defensive coordinator Vance Joseph deserves credit for how he’s adapted to their personnel. And it’s not just this season. From the start of the 2020 season to now (a span of 28 games), the Cardinals have the NFL’s third-ranked defense in terms of EPA per drive.

After Sunday’s win against the Chicago Bears, they’re 10-2 and have an NFC-best plus-119 point differential. Of their 10 wins, only two have been one-score games. And their only loss by more than one score was against the Panthers when Colt McCoy was starting.

The Cardinals check every box in terms of what we should be looking for from a legit Super Bowl contender this time of year.
...dave

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Binky Boy... lol

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Binky Boy...lol...

I got goosebumps reading the article!

Cardinals Defense sucks. For /jinx cure

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again if you are interested in the athletic I can hand out like 5 free trials

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Binky Boy? I guess you need the subscription to understand. :shrug:
In Jalen Thompson’s early days with the Cardinals, Joseph slapped the young safety with a nickname he’s since outgrown: Binky Boy.

I must be on a few free articles. I remember just signing up with my email a few weeks ago. The link Chris posted worked for me.. I dunno

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They had Scott Bordow for all Arizona stuff but he got laid off due to the pandemic. If people are reading Cardinals stuff, they will get a correspondent.
I remember, and the content was good.

Resubscribed and came back to see that they don't really cover the Cardinals any more. Kind of a bummer and I dont think I can justify paying for non-Cardinals sports media.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm at the same place with the Athletic. I'm not resubscribing unless it gets better on the local AZ beat.

National stuff is mostly able to be found elsewhere IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose