Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Amityville Horror

Release Date: April 15, 2005
Studio: MGM
Director: Andrew Douglas
Screenwriter: Scott Kosar
Genre: Horror
MPAA Rating: R (for violence and terror, sexuality, language and brief drug use)

Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Jimmy Bennett, Melissa George, Philip Baker Hall, Jesse James, Chloe Moretz, Rachel Nichols

Plot Summary: On November 14, 1974, police received a frantic phone call that led them to a grisly crime scene at the Defeo residence in Amityville, Long Island – an entire family had been slaughtered in their beds. In the days that followed, Ronald Defeo confessed to methodically shooting his parents and four siblings while they slept. He claimed "voices" in the house drove him to commit the murders. One year later, George and Kathy Lutz and their children moved into the house thinking it would be their dream home. But shortly after settling in, bizarre and unexplainable events began to occur – nightmarish visions and haunting voices from an evil presence still lurking within the house. 28 days after moving in, the Lutzes abandoned the home, lucky to escape with their lives. Now, 30 years after the shocking real-life events that inspired one of the most popular horror stories of all time, return to the house that started it all: "The Amityville Horror".

Attachments

• amityville1.jpg
    amityville1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I love haunted house movies, but this series has kinda gotten ridiculous. Mostly because it is generally considered that the ghost stories are fabricated. There is no denying that the killings happened in that house, but it's accepted that the actual haunting probably never happened. So beware of the "based on true events" tagline, the Lutz family are usually regarded as liars. ;)

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
loved the original. Directed by the same guy who did the texas chainsaw remake which is my fav horror movie now of all time.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
no no fav HORROR movie

I actually agree. Its definatley in my top 5! :thumbup:

Was tremendously better than the original.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shane H said:
I actually agree. Its definatley in my top 5! :thumbup:

Was tremendously better than the original.

:thumbup: and Jessica butt in every angle shot helps.

Last edited:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
eh

changed the story a bit, and the ending. No wasnt what I had hoped. They didnt do as good a job as Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Directed by the same guy who did the texas chainsaw remake which is my fav horror movie now of all time.

TCM remake was directed by Marcus Nispel. Amityville remake was directed by Andrew Douglas. Both were produced by Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes house.

I thought this was an all right flick. It was pretty fun in a packed house w/ the 5.1 mix going but I forgot all about it when I left the theater. No development or honest-to-God scares to be had but there were plenty of "shocks" and one scene in particular (in the closet) that made me cringe - in a good way.

The only thing that I thought the original did a lot better was when the priest came over to bless the house.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
That part in the bathroom where that ugly faced long-haired dead guy was behind him, scared the crap out of me. I couldn't even look at that dude. Good makeup job.

marathon_mom

Bring it on!!!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
That part in the bathroom where that ugly faced long-haired dead guy was behind him, scared the crap out of me. I couldn't even look at that dude. Good makeup job.

Great. Now I hafta see it so I can be scared at this part too. Or laugh out loud that it scared you! lol. :wave:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Straight F. This movie was a damn waste of time. I should have went to the gym!! :mad:

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I read the book back in high school and it scared the crap out of me.

The movie was OK, but a real disappointment compared to the book.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched this last night. Thought it was okay.

I like Ryan Reynolds, but he's such a "likable" guy that it's hard to cast him in a roll where he's supposed to be evil, IMO. That didn't work for me.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Killer Who Helped Inspire 'Amityville Horror' Series Dead At 69

Ronald DeFeo, 69, was convicted of slaughtering his parents and four siblings in a home that later inspired the “The Amityville Horror” book and movies.

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — The man convicted of slaughtering his parents and four siblings in a home that later inspired the “The Amityville Horror” book and movies has died, prison officials said Monday.

Ronald DeFeo, 69, died Friday at Albany Medical Center, where he was taken Feb. 2 from a prison in New York’s Catskill Mountains, the state Department of Corrections and Community Services said. The cause of his death wasn’t immediately known.

DeFeo was serving a sentence of 25 years to life in the 1974 killings in Amityville, on suburban Long Island.

The home became the basis of a horror-movie classic after another family briefly lived there about a year after the killings and claimed the house was haunted. A book and two movies — the 1979 original, starring James Brolin, Margot Kidder and Rod Steiger, and a 2005 remake — portrayed a home with strange voices, walls that oozed slime, furniture that moved on its own, and other supernatural features.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ronald-defeo-amityville-horror-dead-at-69_n_604fc9c8c5b6cb1207c11784