The Americans (FX)

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished the series a few minutes ago. Overall, I was satisfied with the finale. Was rewarding to see them where they ended up.

Fave character was definitely Oleg. Loved all Elizabeth/Philip interactions between them throughout the series. Elizabeth was a savage this season, holy crap.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I was out on the Martha storyline. The Feds know where she is before either Russell or her husband does. They get to the park she’s in... and somehow... they don’t have the place combing with agents and both of the Russian spies get to her first?

again, they wrote themselves into a really interesting corner to get out of and then... just decided the path of least resistance was the easy way out and took it.

slow burn or not, count me as one who just thought this was incredibly overrated.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay... I've reached the point where I now just believe this show sucks. In the Season 4 finale, the leads literally... do nothing. The last scene of the season is Philip walking his daughter across the street and telling her not to see the FBI's guy's son anymore. That's the cliffhanger to end the season? Oh and they might leave because now the heat is "really on"?

and then season 5 picks up... and surprise, they decided to stay! And... the daughter is still hanging out with the FBI's guy's son.

nothing ever really changes in this show. characters don't grow, change, the spies seemingly never get anything much accomplished and every time they look dead to rights, they're not responsible for getting themselves out of the jam or they are incredibly lucky.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay... I've reached the point where I now just believe this show sucks. In the Season 4 finale, the leads literally... do nothing. The last scene of the season is Philip walking his daughter across the street and telling her not to see the FBI's guy's son anymore. That's the cliffhanger to end the season? Oh and they might leave because now the heat is "really on"?

and then season 5 picks up... and surprise, they decided to stay! And... the daughter is still hanging out with the FBI's guy's son.

nothing ever really changes in this show. characters don't grow, change, the spies seemingly never get anything much accomplished and every time they look dead to rights, they're not responsible for getting themselves out of the jam or they are incredibly lucky.

It does pick up towards the end, but S4 was the low of the series IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Halfway through season 6 and this is by far the most interesting season so far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry... whatever y’all are free-basing pass it this way. The finale was ludicrously bad. Every time this show got to a tough moment, they took the path of least resistance to write their way out of it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry... whatever y’all are free-basing pass it this way. The finale was ludicrously bad. Every time this show got to a tough moment, they took the path of least resistance to write their way out of it.

Points for consistency, it was like that when I gave up on the show after season 3.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Man...... I really was hoping you would like it. Glad you stuck it out though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man...... I really was hoping you would like it. Glad you stuck it out though.

I was really stunned by how much I didn’t like it by the end. The first season had me until it’s ludicrous getaway wayyyyy too easy season finale. And then that just became the norm.

great Kerri Russell performance, but otherwise, big meh.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
the spies seemingly never get anything much accomplished and every time they look dead to rights, they're not responsible for getting themselves out of the jam or they are incredibly lucky.

I'm only on season 2 and I've noticed this also. Plus, I keep thinking "how dumb is Martha to fall for all that Clark bs"

The dynamic between Eliz and (ever conflicted) Phil is more interesting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson