The Americans (FX)

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
This was something else!

In the moment, I really thought Philip was going to charge Stan, sacrificing himself to let the others get away. Henry staying behind with Stan made sense. Paige getting off the train...oof! I like how that was left, though. Paige carrying on under the radar, probably trying to stay in contact with Henry. And Stan's girlfriend...from her face, when she saw they had gotten away, IS an agent, but Stan won't question her about it.

Perfect ending, too, as the "Americans" become Russians/Soviets again...literally with the last line of the series.

I had the same thought during “the scene.” I was really hoping it wouldn’t happen!

What Paige did surprised me, but overall, I felt like everything the characters did matched up with their personalities. Especially Stan. Man, that guy has A LOT to think about!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I had the same thought during “the scene.” I was really hoping it wouldn’t happen!

What Paige did surprised me, but overall, I felt like everything the characters did matched up with their personalities. Especially Stan. Man, that guy has A LOT to think about!

Seriously! What's he going to do about his SO? My thought is nothing, and once a few years pass, it wouldn't matter much any more.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Seriously! What's he going to do about his SO? My thought is nothing, and once a few years pass, it wouldn't matter much any more.
I don't think it was portrayed as a given about his SO. I felt like they left it ambiguous. And I hope that Oleg doesn't rot too long in jail and is eventually freed to go home to his family. He was one of the most altruistic characters in the show.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

I feel really bad for Stan, but then I remember what he did to that one guy’s back of the head and the feeling fades a bit.

I like how a lot of the ambiguity that was always there in the series wasn’t resolved. Seems appropriate. Will Phillip and Elizabeth meet Martha and her child? Will they see Mischa? Will Oleg ever return home? Where’s Claudia? They should do an update season every few years.

I hope all of the actors, writers, directors, etc. get work on other shows. I truly enjoyed their work in this one.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't think it was portrayed as a given about his SO. I felt like they left it ambiguous. And I hope that Oleg doesn't rot too long in jail and is eventually freed to go home to his family. He was one of the most altruistic characters in the show.

Yeah. Was she happy the Jennings escaped? Was she happy they were discovered? Was she just semi smiling for another reason?

Poor Oleg. I think Stan will try to help him.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just finished the series and I was satisfied with the ending. I always held out hope that they would turn against Russia and help the US, but this ending was more fitting.

They sacrificed everything for their country and in the end it cost them everything, even their children.

It would've been nice to see their life in Russia w/o having the comfort of American life, but sometimes ambiguity is best with endings.

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
As a formersoldier in the Berlin Brigade I have to admit that the ending was well done. Thank you for this series.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Well-deserved!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally started watching this yesterday. A lot of people have mentioned it as being a great show so I decided to start it. I am currently on season 2 episode 4. I have only read to page 3 of this thread as I am trying to avoid spoilers.

I’m finding myself really conflicted because I’m rooting for Phillip and Elizabeth, but I am also rooting for the FBI.

There’s starting to be some teen drama with their daughter which I couldn’t care less for. We shall see how that goes, but it is interesting to watch them dance around who they are and what they do while also being parents.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally started watching this yesterday. A lot of people have mentioned it as being a great show so I decided to start it. I am currently on season 2 episode 4. I have only read to page 3 of this thread as I am trying to avoid spoilers.

I’m finding myself really conflicted because I’m rooting for Phillip and Elizabeth, but I am also rooting for the FBI.

There’s starting to be some teen drama with their daughter which I couldn’t care less for. We shall see how that goes, but it is interesting to watch them dance around who they are and what they do while also being parents.

I just started getting into it also, getting towards the end of Season 2. It’s good and Kerri Russell is GREAT in it, but if I never saw another episode, I wouldn’t miss it.

for people that kept with it, does it get demonstrably better? If not, I may be moving on soon.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just started getting into it also, getting towards the end of Season 2. It’s good and Kerri Russell is GREAT in it, but if I never saw another episode, I wouldn’t miss it.

for people that kept with it, does it get demonstrably better? If not, I may be moving on soon.
If you don't like the first season or two you won't like the rest

Very consistent, slow burning drama

I loved it personally and it nails the landing unlike a lot of shows but it's not an action-packed thrill ride

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't like the first season or two you won't like the rest

Very consistent, slow burning drama

I loved it personally and it nails the landing unlike a lot of shows but it's not an action-packed thrill ride

just seems pretty repetitive. Also... kinda not smart enough at times. The end of the first season was a massive eye-roll for me. They are caught, dead to rights, surrounded and... just get away. That bugged the crap out of me. Too many of those moments.

that said Kerri Russell owns everything scene she’s in. She’s fantastic in this show and the main reason I keep watching.

well, that and a never ending pandemic.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay... I did NOT see that twist coming at the end of Season 2 with the kid. That was pretty good. Bought another season for me.

that said, how they got out of their season ending jam was kinda ridiculous again. But the story and themes are interesting enough to just let that stuff pass.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay... I did NOT see that twist coming at the end of Season 2 with the kid. That was pretty good. Bought another season for me.

that said, how they got out of their season ending jam was kinda ridiculous again. But the story and themes are interesting enough to just let that stuff pass.

I thought the same thing while watching this show.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
just seems pretty repetitive. Also... kinda not smart enough at times. The end of the first season was a massive eye-roll for me. They are caught, dead to rights, surrounded and... just get away. That bugged the crap out of me. Too many of those moments.

that said Kerri Russell owns everything scene she’s in. She’s fantastic in this show and the main reason I keep watching.

well, that and a never ending pandemic.
Each to their own I guess. If a show that won a couple of Peabody Awards is not smart enough for you though then you have high standards!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each to their own I guess. If a show that won a couple of Peabody Awards is not smart enough for you though then you have high standards!

It’s not that it’s not “smart”. That’s not the word I should have used. The macro and micro themes it deals with are layered and complex, diving into religion, culture, country and family. I just think it takes the easy way out a lot when they back the leads into a corner in their action sequences. It’s what separates shows like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul from this. Those writers consistently wrote their characters into the tightest corners possible and the way they got out not only made sense, but the escapes were usually pretty ingenious.

also, Kerri Russell overpowers Rhys-Davies. He can’t hold her jock in their scenes together. That imbalance also a small dent in the show’s armor when comparing it to the greats of peak TV.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not that it’s not “smart”. That’s not the word I should have used. The macro and micro themes it deals with are layered and complex, diving into religion, culture, country and family. I just think it takes the easy way out a lot when they back the leads into a corner in their action sequences. It’s what separates shows like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul from this. Those writers consistently wrote their characters into the tightest corners possible and the way they got out not only made sense, but the escapes were usually pretty ingenious.

also, Kerri Russell overpowers Rhys-Davies. He can’t hold her jock in their scenes together. That imbalance also a small dent in the show’s armor when comparing it to the greats of peak TV.

I feel this as well. Not only that, they just seem to gloss over some really tough situations at times, even some season ending cliffhangers.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I thought it was a great slow burn. One of the seasons was tough though. Not sure which one it was.

Kerri Russell is worth it. Watch it all. And I loved the final season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a great slow burn. One of the seasons was tough though. Not sure which one it was.

Kerri Russell is worth it. Watch it all. And I loved the final season.

man... I’m now just bored. Finished season 3. The only characters who’s storylines I actually care about are Nina, Beamer and the other Russian.

they even somehow made Frank Langella boring. That’s a crime against entertainment.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
man... I’m now just bored. Finished season 3. The only characters who’s storylines I actually care about are Nina, Beamer and the other Russian.

they even somehow made Frank Langella boring. That’s a crime against entertainment.
Ha! Understood. I think Margo Martindale comes back so I would try and stick it out if you can. You may have watched the tough season already.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! Understood. I think Margo Martindale comes back so I would try and stick it out if you can. You may have watched the tough season already.

it misses Martindale BAD. the best scenes in the show were always her and Russell going toe to toe. Maybe that was the season she jumped off and did her villain turn on Justified (which was awesome).

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m still hanging in there and am near the end of season 4. I think the “slow burn” is a good descriptor of this show, so far.

Really curious how the Paige/Pastor Tim stuff as it relates to Philip and Elizabeth is going to be resolved.

Most shocking death was definitely
Nina’s. I legit gasped when it happened.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I absolutely freaking LOVED this show, and was initially surprised at some of the pushback it's getting. Then it hit me--I was watching these once a week, at most. Dear Lord, I would never be able to binge this show. Too slow burn for that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely freaking LOVED this show, and was initially surprised at some of the pushback it's getting. Then it hit me--I was watching these once a week, at most. Dear Lord, I would never be able to binge this show. Too slow burn for that.

yeah... it's REALLY not bingeable. maybe I'd feel different if I was watching once a week when it originally aired.

I wonder if I'd feel the same way about Better Call Saul, which I absolutely LOVE, but watch when it airs once a week. There's no slower burn than that show

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave