The Al McCoy Appreciation Thread

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still have mine. I suspect it's no longer playable though as my son moved all my albums into the garage back in the 90's and I didn't learn about it till after he moved out. Heat and vinyl don't mix well.

Crazy how they made records of all the old sports stuff back then. One of my friends growing up had an LP of the Oakland Raiders title run, and he was a Steelers fan! He had that thing memorized, lol.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
So many wonderful memories. My first time meeting Al was after a game in the early 80s, my sister had sung the national anthem, and he visited with us for a couple of minutes. He was always so kind and made you think you were important. That is when I first realized how small her really was.

I loved how biased he would get - I would just laugh. He made fun of the calls just like the rest of us.

One nickname that was left off - The Nash Rambler (for Steve Nash).

The coolest thing ever - for Game 6, the arizonasports app wasn't restricted (I live in Utah now), and I was able to listen to him call his final game after the 1st quarter until he signed off. That was just awesome.

The best to you Al - thank you for the decades of great work.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I believe Al McCoy coined the phrase, "Madhouse on McDowell" referring to Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
I think you're right. Also, after reading his Wiki page earlier today I'll add "Do you believe it".

As I've said before, I remember him from my pre-teen years when he became one of the DJ's at KRUX (my station of choice at the time). His wiki page mentions it now but I don't think it was there until recently. And I learned something new about him reading that page, he also called ASU football and Basketball games before getting the Suns job. I can't believe I've never heard that mentioned before.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here is an incomplete list of some of his famous sayings/Nicknames over the years, I am sure I am forgetting some and you can see that I moved out of the Valley in the late 80's and was not able to listen to his broadcasts regularly after that

"The Man With the Velvet Touch", "the Greyhound" Walter Davis

"Double A" "the Oklahoma Kid" Alvin Adams

"Westy" Paul Westphal

"Horny" Jeff Hornacek

"The Truckster" Truck Robinson

"T Bone" Alvin Scott

"Twine Time"

"SHAZAAM"

"A swisheroo for 2"

"Oh, Brother!"

What am I missing here?
“Nash rambler”
Eddie “howitzer” house.
Lang bang
Battle rattle

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember his nickname for Oliver Miller.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but man.. I just have a great feeling about this coming season. I don't know what they have to do but Al needs to come back for one last ride have him do the playoffs.

I feel the same way. Echo the sentiments regarding Al as well. If we make it to the Western Conference Finals then Al needs to be there.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but man.. I just have a great feeling about this coming season. I don't know what they have to do but Al needs to come back for one last ride have him do the playoffs.
Bring him back for the Finals, if they get there.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bring him back for the Finals, if they get there.
I feel the same way. Echo the sentiments regarding Al as well. If we make it to the Western Conference Finals then Al needs to be there.

This needs to happen!

Hell if we make it and Al would stream himself calling the games, I would have the TV on mute and listen to him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA