The Al McCoy Appreciation Thread

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the perspective of a non-Suns fan, he'll be greatly missed.

Such a great voice but an even better person. He even took a moment to wish the Denver Nuggets well in the playoffs as he was signing off from the regular broadcast last night.

Hope he enjoys his well-deserved retirement.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Al is a beloved figure to all of us who grew up following the Suns. He is to us what Vin Scully was to Dodgers fans. I got to listen to a few Suns radio broadcasts this past week while unable to catch the TV broadcasts, and it was very bittersweet hearing Al for the last few times after close to 4 decades or so of listening to him do Suns games.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al is a beloved figure to all of us who grew up following the Suns. He is to us what Vin Scully was to Dodgers fans. I got to listen to a few Suns radio broadcasts this past week while unable to catch the TV broadcasts, and it was very bittersweet hearing Al for the last few times after close to 4 decades or so of listening to him do Suns games.
Or what Chick Hearn was to Lakers fans.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The voice of my childhood, and adulthood. At 45 years old...... He has been there for all of it.

the best ever. One of my best memories was meeting him and Cotton in DC after a win. Roughly 2005 ish. A great 15 minutes.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is an incomplete list of some of his famous sayings/Nicknames over the years, I am sure I am forgetting some and you can see that I moved out of the Valley in the late 80's and was not able to listen to his broadcasts regularly after that

"The Man With the Velvet Touch", "the Greyhound" Walter Davis

"Double A" "the Oklahoma Kid" Alvin Adams

"Westy" Paul Westphal

"Horny" Jeff Hornacek

"The Truckster" Truck Robinson

"T Bone" Alvin Scott

"Twine Time"

"SHAZAAM"

"A swisheroo for 2"

"Oh, Brother!"

What am I missing here?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an incomplete list of some of his famous sayings/Nicknames over the years, I am sure I am forgetting some and you can see that I moved out of the Valley in the late 80's and was not able to listen to his broadcasts regularly after that

"The Man With the Velvet Touch", "the Greyhound" Walter Davis

"Double A" "the Oklahoma Kid" Alvin Adams

"Westy" Paul Westphal

"Horny" Jeff Hornacek

"The Truckster" Truck Robinson

"T Bone" Alvin Scott

"Twine Time"

"SHAZAAM"

"A swisheroo for 2"

"Oh, Brother!"

What am I missing here?
"Sweet D" for Walter Davis

"What a shot. Whataburger !!"

"Zing go the strings !!"

"Heartbreak Hotel !!"

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That guy has been a part of my life since I would lay on my bed doing homework and listening to Suns games when I was in Junior High School. And I am 60 years old. We had him longer than we deserved. To sign of at 90 years old is amazing. I will miss you Al.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
From the perspective of a non-Suns fan, he'll be greatly missed.

Such a great voice but an even better person. He even took a moment to wish the Denver Nuggets well in the playoffs as he was signing off from the regular broadcast last night.

Hope he enjoys his well-deserved retirement.
He has earned the retirement, so happy for him. I hope he lives to 100.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really hope he decides to write a book chronicling his career and the Suns. That would be amazing. Even if he doesn't, so glad he's in the Ring of Honor and will always be a part of the Suns franchise in that way forever.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Semi-related, is Tim Kempton going to stay on as the color guy for radio broadcasts?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are youngsters! Not even born yet when Gar Heard hit the shot heard around the world? I'll send you the LP :wink2:
I still have mine. I suspect it's no longer playable though as my son moved all my albums into the garage back in the 90's and I didn't learn about it till after he moved out. Heat and vinyl don't mix well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose