The 68th Annual Golden Globe Awards

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Friday morning I'd never even heard of it. Since them (just watching regular ol' TV) I've seen the trailer three times. "All Good Things" got a major write up in the NY Times. All of a sudden it's all Ryan all the time. Blue Valentine is getting some major props within the industry. Mr. Gosling will be getting a lot of use from his tux.

I've heard it is really good but it will take everything out of you. This was also the movie that was NC-17 for quite a while until Harvey Weinstein started to get involved. I am still debating on when I see this movie because of the mental toll it is supposed to take on you.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't watch award shows anymore. A bunch of self important elitist snobs patting each other on the back. No thanks.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, you would think that Zuckerberg invented the internet and not Al Gore :)

Honestly, everyone already communicated by e-mail before Facebook came along. Other than people finding you that you never wanted to, Facebook hasn't changed our society in any profound way.

Not to mention that facebook is a dumbed down, sleeker version of myspace, which came first... The real story should have been:

Myspace launches in 2003 and EXPLODES, but it's kindof complicated and requires some basic computer skills to operate so some smart kids at Harvard said; "Hey lets copy that idea exactly, we'll even use the term "Friends" when referring to connections, we'll just make it easier to use so that housewives can use it and we'll make billions!!!" Because that's exactly what happened.

I completely agree with the other poster, the historical inaccuracies and exagurrations in "the social network" are well documented and admitted by the film makers.

It's crazy I mean people use facebook, I have nothing against it, I use it and it's all fine and good but people talk about this movie like nobody used the internet for social networking before facebook.

The whole thing has become like when parents try to act like they are into the same stuff as their teenagers in an effort to 'connect.' That's what Hollywood is trying to do with "The Social Network." Hey we gave this hip movie an a great review and an award! This isn't the same old hollywood! We're hip! Look at us we're super hip! Check out this tattoo! Yeah it's temporary but look how cool it is!

I also think it's hilarious all the articles I'm seeing on Yahoo and MSN about the "CONTROVERSY" surrounding Ricky Gervaise. Seriously, anyone who has seen his standup act knows that he was pulling his punches big time and he could have been 10000 times more brutal than he was.

OMG he joked around about Tim Allen not being as famous as Tom Hanks?!?! Downey Jr. was in rehab?!?! The "The Tourist" bombed??? Why Ricky?? WHYYYYY?

Seriously I expected these actors to have thicker skin. That's how NBC advertised it for crying out loud. "Who wants to see a bunch of spoiled actors getting awards? Well, I'll be there, making fun of them, trying to make them cry." Thats the line from the advert, lol. Anyone who compared this to a roast has obviously never seen a roast.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have the growing sense that Rolling Stone and others assigned (way way) too much social importance to Social Network, and now everyone's afraid of looking like a know-nothing by questioning it. It's all a sham, IMO. Social Network was a good movie. But it was innaccurate and if it defined the last decade, apparently it was in a different reality I was not aware of. I found it interesting to see how someone interpreted those events, but in no way did I connect to it in a way that it defined me or my friends or my experiences.
Agreed. I think the movie is good on its own merits, even if it takes some liberties with the facts. I wouldn't complain if it gets best film Oscar, because it certainly was one of the better movies of 2010. But I don't see the social importance of Facebook. I suppose if you were to extend the discussion to the entire social networking phenomenon, then you could make a stronger case, but this movie doesn't do that. It's still a good story though.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who ever that Brit host that talked mess about hollywood was.. He needs his own show.. He told it like it was.. Thats real talk.. Hollywood seems like they need things sugar coated to them..

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who ever that Brit host that talked mess about hollywood was.. He needs his own show.. He told it like it was.. Thats real talk.. Hollywood seems like they need things sugar coated to them..

He has his own show. It's on HBO. It's called the Ricky Gervais Show, and it's an animation of his podcast with his two friends, one of which may either be the most dimwitted or the most brilliant comedian ever, Karl Pilkington. [It should be noted this podcast was recorded in 2005, well before The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons movie, and I rather doubt any of them are up on their F. Scott Fitzgerald short stories]

Last edited:

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
He has his own show. It's on HBO. It's called the Ricky Gervais Show, and it's an animation of his podcast with his two friends, one of which may either be the most dimwitted or the most brilliant comedian ever, Karl Pilkington. [It should be noted this podcast was recorded in 2005, well before The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons movie, and I rather doubt any of them are up on their F. Scott Fitzgerald short stories]

They have a new show on the Science Channel (at least new to the US) called an Idiot Abroad. They send Karl to the new 7 wonders of the world. Can't wait to see the show because these guys are hilarious.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose