The 2019 Draft

Errntknght

Reaction score
I was dead set against Chiss because of poor rebounding and defending and I simply didn't believe anyone would touch Bender until late in first round. Four was high for Sabonis, but his dad was so great I might have taken him - good genes, you know. I also liked Labissiere but was pretty far off on him. A gamble on Thon Maker appealed to me. I was all over Ulis at 31 or wherever we got him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time faulting McD for that draft. The players chosen were not seen to be stretches at the time. Most everyone on this board was ecstatic about that draft. In retrospect, the draft showed some lack of confidence in his choices--a double-mindedness. It would be better to choose the pf you like and commit to that player.

Hindsight.

A lot of this.

In the end it falls it the laps of the GM and scouts. They need to be independent thinkers.

I'm glad the Suns have changed scouting directors in this country and international.

Remember the good old days when the fans booed when the Suns drafted Majerle.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was dead set against Chiss because of poor rebounding and defending and I simply didn't believe anyone would touch Bender until late in first round. Four was high for Sabonis, but his dad was so great I might have taken him - good genes, you know. I also liked Labissiere but was pretty far off on him. A gamble on Thon Maker appealed to me. I was all over Ulis at 31 or wherever we got him.

I think we all got Ulis right. He might have been the best selection the Suns made in the 2016 draft.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really wanted Sabonis and was hoping he would fall to the 13th pick. Sabonis at 8 would have been perfect.

Players who are children of nba players tend to have some advantage. The life and money is not completely foreign to them. They have family support from people who have been there. They don't have the "posse" hanging around them so much. They have dads who know how much work it really takes to be successful and can speak to their kids from experience. It should be at least a consideration when making picks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time faulting McD for that draft. The players chosen were not seen to be stretches at the time. Most everyone on this board was ecstatic about that draft. In retrospect, the draft showed some lack of confidence in his choices--a double-mindedness. It would be better to choose the pf you like and commit to that player.

Hindsight.

No, it wasn't, not even close. I was against it at the time and posted my concerns here (and elsewhere). Through the 2nd half of the season I read a lot of articles wondering why in the world this guy was climbing the draft boards. He moved up to 3rd even for a little while and then people started looking deeper. By the time of the draft there were a lot of rumors that he wouldn't go in the lottery. Sure, there were more rumors that he would but the truth was out there.

I have been right on draft prospects and I have been grossly incorrect. But the call on Chriss should have been obvious to anyone if they actually watched him play an entire game.[/QUOTE]

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No, it wasn't, not even close. I was against it at the time and posted my concerns here (and elsewhere). Through the 2nd half of the season I read a lot of articles wondering why in the world this guy was climbing the draft boards. He moved up to 3rd even for a little while and then people started looking deeper. By the time of the draft there were a lot of rumors that he wouldn't go in the lottery. Sure, there were more rumors that he would but the truth was out there.

I have been right on draft prospects and I have been grossly incorrect. But the call on Chriss should have been obvious to anyone if they actually watched him play an entire game.
[/QUOTE]
Yup I recall Steve being way down on Chriss.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was dead set against him too but even more because of his head. I've never seen a player succeed that did what he would do, just stand there and glare at the ref or another player or the rim if something happened that he didn't like. The closest I can think of is Marcin Gortat, who would spend time trying to tell the audience that he knew he'd messed up rather than getting back on D.

I wanted to trade down for either Sabonis or Ellenson (who would have been just as bad a pick as Bender). And I was also pushing for Ulis but I wasn't interested in Maker because of all the age stuff.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rankings mean nothing, would you rather have Chriss & Bender right now or Sabonis?

I'd rather have Sabonis, but we need better than that both at Power Forward AND at point guard if we want any hope of being competitive before Booker's extended contract is up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rankings mean nothing, would you rather have Chriss & Bender right now or Sabonis?

Agreed. Obviously I'd prefer Sabonis but I don't know what I would have done with that pick if a trade out wasn't available. I liked Domantas but 4 just seemed to early for him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd rather have Sabonis, but we need better than that both at Power Forward AND at point guard if we want any hope of being competitive before Booker's extended contract is up.
I agree with you about needing a PG but Sabonis would supply to stability to the PF position on this team, hell he should be starting for IND but they choose to start Young instead. Ideally, PHX drafts Bol as I do not think we get the #1 pick again. But a good PG is going to be hard to come by in trade as CHA & POR look to be holding on to Lillard & Walker and with WAS starting to turn things around after their 2-9, they may be willing to hold on to Wall unless they get some value in a trade. So PHX either develops Okobo or try and sign a FA PG but PHX is not an attractive team right now for FA's, so they may not be able to lure guys like Irving or Walker.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose