The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Daryl Morey takes out full page ad to thank James Harden and the Rockets.

2. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Leonard wasn’t on a stacked team? Come on. That’s a laugh. That was one of the most talented teams I’ve seen in years. And this season Leonard crapped the bed when the pressure was on. Leonard also had Doc who’s a well respected coach by e everyone. So, for at least this season, I have a hard time saying Kawhi was better than LeBron.

also, the idea that this was a stacked Lakers team doesn’t hold much water for me. It was a team of two GREAT stars than a collection of cast offs and knuckleheads who fell off a cliff players 3-8.

As far as Giannis v. LeBron... well, Giannis has led his team to crap the bed the last two seasons, losing as heavy favorites and as great as he is on both sides of the court, can’t make a crunch time play on offense to save his life. Before people start elevating him over LeBron, doesn’t he need to elevate his own team into the finals at least once especially considering he’s in the East and they’ve been favored? He’s also getting coached by a two-time Coach Of The Year.

with Luka... Luka is an offensive force to be reckoned with but is sieve defensively. LeBron matches Luka’s offense but blows away his D.

swagron likes this.
  3. Mainstreet

4. swagron

swagron Registered

Rondo, Morris, Howard, Caruso and Pope are now considered a stacked team? Lol that’s a huge reach. Need to watch more basketball buddy.

5. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

I watched it. They have some great role players.

Mainstreet likes this.
  6. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Role players tend to look pretty replaceable until they're playing with stars.

7. AzStevenCal

Barkley was great but he was nowhere near the level of Jordan, comparable numbers or not. MJ suffered from MVP voter burnout, just like Lebron has the past several years. Ask any player who is the best in the game right now and I have no doubt that almost to a person they'd say it's Lebron.

swagron likes this.
  8. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Maybe it's bias but I'd say Barkley was as good as, if not better than, Jordan in his first year in Phoenix. He was driven like never before and it's rare to see a player so focused on carrying his team to success. His play fell off after that year, whether his stats really reflected much of a drop or not. His MVP year wasn't just voter burnout though.

9. AzStevenCal

I think it's understandable but I really do believe it's the bias of an impressionable younger fan. I'm not trying to knock Barkley at all, he was one of my favorite college players ever and I was raving about him to all my college basketball fans when he was still a chubby freshman at Auburn. And he was incredible for us even though he'd already noticeably started to decline physically prior to the trade from Philly (by his own words, too).

10. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

this. And I’ll just say, as a sixteen year old kid, to this day, Barkley’s MVP Season was the greatest single season performance I’ve gotten to personally watch in its entirety. It was epic, electric, set the entire town ablaze for the Suns in a way I’d never seen and have never seen since. And his playoff performance in the first three rounds was even MORE ridiculous. But then he ran into the guy who made Barkley’s one unreal season... routine. ESPECIALLY in 1993 when Jordan was still at the peak of his powers. His defense alone vaulted him above Chuck that year and sadly, when the chips were down, Jordan showed everyone what an MVP, the greatest MVP ever IMO, was really like.

In the Finals, I think Charles averaged a very respectable 25/12/5. And by very respectable, I mean GREAT. But they were numbers that were pretty much exactly at his MVP reg season average. Jordan averaged 42/6/6, elevating from 32/5/5. Chuck couldn’t even claw one win out at home in that series. We had HCA and went 0-3. When Jordan’s entire team curled up in the fetal position in Game 6 of the 4th quarter after blowing a 9 point lead and giving us the lad, Jordan scored all 9 points of the entire team in the fourth... until Paxton’s game winner. Barkley shot once in the last six minutes... basically a missed layup after backing someone down and doin one of his little one handed push shots. he came for the King, but couldn’t match his intensity or Michael’s killer instinct when ALL the chips were down.

Nd trust me... I have close relatives in Chicago who STILL give me crap about that showdown, so all of the above pains me to say it. Probably because the truth still hurts so damn much.

The 1993 Suns were my favorite team in any sport of all time and the best team ever not to win a title. But as great as Barkley was, he was never as good as Michael. Which really isn’t saying anything bad about Chuck. It’s just saying how incredible MJ was.

11. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

That's the way I look at Ali! In the seventies the heavyweight division had guys that would have been champions if they had been born in a different decade than Ali. Chuck just played in the wong decade. 5-7 years later maybe he would have won Championships on whatever team he was on. Ali beat guys that would be Heavy Weight Champs today easily. They just happned to be around when Ali was boxing.

12. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Mainstreet likes this.
  13. Mainstreet

14. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

That should be denied. His contract was always an albatross. If you acquired it you knew full well what it meant. Shouldn’t be allowed to wriggle out of the foreseen consequences.

15. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

It's the Lakers. I fully expect this to go through.

Yuma and 95pro like this.