The 2016-17 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers end Steph Curry's record three-point streak in stunning rout

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rs-117-97-end-stephs-3-point-streak/93335958/

While the Los Angeles Lakers shouted and shoved each other with elation, Luke Walton managed to look unsurprised by the incredible upset unfolding before them.

The Los Angeles Lakers were battering the mighty Golden State Warriors. Walton's championship-tested former team just couldn't catch up to his young, hungry new squad.

Although it's far too early in the season to truly celebrate anything, Walton thinks the Lakers' future is fascinating.

Lou Williams scored 10 of his 20 points in the fourth quarter, and the Lakers snapped Stephen Curry's NBA-record streak of 157 games with a 3-pointer during their 117-97 victory Friday night.

Julius Randle had 20 points and 14 rebounds, and D'Angelo Russell added 17 points for the rebuilding Lakers. They built a 21-point lead in the third quarter and hung on to shock the Warriors at Staples Center for the third consecutive season.

STREAK SNAPPED: Curry scored 13 points while going 0-for-10 from 3-point range, ending several incredible long-distance streaks. He had hit a 3-pointer in every regular-season game since Nov. 11, 2014.

Including the postseason, Curry had at least one 3 in 196 straight games, and he had also hit in 116 straight regular-season road games — both NBA records.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM Pelinka: Lakers will be 'greatest sports franchise' again

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/g...st-sports-franchise-again-005115594--nba.html

During his two-decade career representing Kobe Bryant and other prominent NBA players, Rob Pelinka developed an enormous respect for the Los Angeles Lakers, both as a team and a global phenomenon.

Pelinka is getting the chance to restore that tarnished brand as the Lakers' new general manager, and he is approaching his new job with evangelical zeal.

''It didn't feel like a decision,'' Pelinka said Friday. ''It felt like a true calling.''

Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson introduced Pelinka at a news conference, hiring Bryant's longtime agent as his top deputy in the team's new leadership regime. Both men spoke glowingly of a 16-time NBA champion franchise currently mired in the worst four-year stretch in team history.

Pelinka is recognized as a sharp negotiator on the other side of the NBA's bargaining tables. In moving to the Lakers' front office, he described his goals in terms far beyond dollars and cents.

''To put the Lakers back on the proper place of being the gold-standard franchise in all of sports for others to look at and try to emulate,'' Pelinka said. ''Because that's what Dr. (Jerry) Buss did with this team, and what our calling is here. ... We're going to deliver on Jeanie's challenge to us to make the Lakers the greatest sports franchise in the world. That will happen.''

Jeanie Buss fired her brother, Jim, and general manager Mitch Kupchak last month to clear the way for Johnson and Pelinka.

While the Hall of Fame point guard will be the Lakers' frontman and big-picture leader, Pelinka will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day work of contract negotiations, talent scouting and salary cap management. Together, they'll attempt to rebuild the Lakers, who are wrapping up what's certain to be their fourth straight non-playoff season, a franchise record for futility.

''When I thought about who I really wanted to start this journey with, and who could I pick that would complement my style and the way I am, and also who is strong where I'm weak, there was no other than Rob,'' Johnson said. ''We have the same personality. We have just a passionate love for this franchise. I wanted somebody who understood the Lakers and what it means to represent the Lakers, and Rob knows that better than anybody out here.''

Johnson's word choice was bold at a news conference attended by none other than Bryant, who wrapped up his 20-year career last spring with five championship rings. Johnson also won five NBA titles in the 1980s with the Showtime Lakers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who are the Lakers targets in the draft other than Ball? Also if they get the #1 overall pick, do they take Ball? What if they fall out of the top 3 in the lottery and lose their pick, what would they give up to move back into the top of the draft order?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose