The 2016-17 Los Angeles Lakers thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new era. This summer should be interesting. So much drama going on.

Byron? Please no more...mercy, mercy, uncle, uncle. And if we do shoot that horse in the head, who do we bring in? Can't be another miss.

60M in cap room? How will we use it?

Buss family circus? Is Jim on the outs (finally?) Does Phil try to make a play?

The young kids - how will they develop?

The ping pong balls!!!! Oh the ping pong balls. Do we get lucky? Do we get shut out? Oh the drama.

I love that we have a core of young talent, but where we go from here really has little to do with them and more with the answers to the questions above.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm just glad they stink and hope they do for the next 100 years.

Lakers..........:mulli:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So glad Kobe is gone. He screwed the franchise worse than the Buss boy the last couple of seasons.

Hopefully, Jeanie takes over and rights the ship (with or without Phil's help). We need to bring in some free agent talent. Should be much easier with Kobe gone.

Looking forward to Lakers' basketball for the first time in years.

Go Lakers !!!

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you really excited about him, or just glad it's anyone but the tank commander?

A lot of the latter.

However, I am happy with the choice, and have always had a soft spot for Luke even though he was a Wildcat. It might be a little early in his career, but he was getting a HC job this offseason. Luke's always been a guy I thought would make an excellent coach. He's not in the same boat he has in GS, but the guy has learned from some of the greatest minds in basketball, directly from Phil and Lute Olsen, coached under Kerr, grew up under the Wooden philosophy from his dad. He relates to young and old, and has a great basketball IQ. He is not stubborn like the TC.

I love that he cancelled 4 interviews to simply sign with the Lakers on the spot. He wants it. He fits it. Now he has to do it.

Plus, when Jeannie and Phil take over the team, Luke is already Phil's guy. ;)

I am really interested to see how he builds his staff. And I expect some growing pains, but I really like this selection.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A lot of the latter.

However, I am happy with the choice, and have always had a soft spot for Luke even though he was a Wildcat. It might be a little early in his career, but he was getting a HC job this offseason. Luke's always been a guy I thought would make an excellent coach. He's not in the same boat he has in GS, but the guy has learned from some of the greatest minds in basketball, directly from Phil and Lute Olsen, coached under Kerr, grew up under the Wooden philosophy from his dad. He relates to young and old, and has a great basketball IQ. He is not stubborn like the TC.

I love that he cancelled 4 interviews to simply sign with the Lakers on the spot. He wants it. He fits it. Now he has to do it.

Plus, when Jeannie and Phil take over the team, Luke is already Phil's guy. ;)

I am really interested to see how he builds his staff. And I expect some growing pains, but I really like this selection.

I hate you:
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm torn. I like Luke, I went to Arizona, but I hate the Lakers.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate you:

I'm torn. I like Luke, I went to Arizona, but I hate the Lakers.

Then it is easy. Hope the Lakers improve enough each year to keep his job, but suck enough to miss the playoffs. Permanently in the SunsZone

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then it is easy. Hope the Lakers improve enough each year to keep his job, but suck enough to miss the playoffs. Permanently in the SunsZone

You cannot talk about Luke Walton and the "SunsZone" in the same post.

He already has 3 more rings than the Suns' franchise. :D

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers remove Magic Johnson's ceremonial vice president title

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/lakers...monial-vice-president-title/story?id=39789100

At Magic Johnson's request, the Los Angeles Lakers have eliminated his honorary title of vice president and removed his name from the staff directory.

On Saturday, the team said the change was made to clarify confusion about the Hall of Famer's involvement with the club.

"Earvin will always be a revered and beloved member of the Lakers family, but he does not have a position or role with the organization at the time," Lakers spokesman John Black said in a statement. "He is not an adviser or a consultant, and his opinions, comments, and social media posts are solely his, and do not represent or reflect those of Lakers ownership or management. Hopefully, this will eliminate any confusion over this issue in the future."

------------------------------------

He is my all-time favorite player, but I totally agree with this separation. He speaks like he is the GM and his opinions should dictate what the team does in player moves, etc. Not the case.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically, that is the right move. An argument could be made his comments are tampering. I saw a couple articles questioning that.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a few hours from Brandon Ingram, ya'll!!

As long as Philly doesn't do anything stupid. I like Ingram more than Simmons, and he's a better fit with the current roster. I'm a little afraid someone trades with Philly and takes Ingram away from LA. Because Philly.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Great pick !!!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second round: Ivica Zubac

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a big splash.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow... Timmy is the big-splash? They couldn't even get a Whiteside? Does Jimmy actually last through the season or does Jeannie finally fire him in a burst of anger come August?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose