The 2014-15 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. They will be a playoff team ( barring injury to 24).

lol. Barring injury to one-legged 36 year old. Way to go out on a limb.

I'll just say this...injury or healthy, the Lakers don't have a prayer in hell of getting to the playoffs in the West with that ragtag group has beens and never weres.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol. Barring injury to one-legged 36 year old. Way to go out on a limb.

I'll just say this...injury or healthy, the Lakers don't have a prayer in hell of getting to the playoffs in the West with that ragtag group has beens and never weres.

LOL, Kobe Bryant. One legged my ass. Playoffs. Done. Book it.

You have 12 point guards cheese, you should probably be worrying about what your Suns will be doing. maybe you can trade us picks back for Lin and Nash. ;)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Lakers fan cannot wait for the day Kobe is no longer a Laker. Get rid of him already and let us build for the future. This latest two-year deal did not help the team, IMHO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, Kobe Bryant. One legged my ass. Playoffs. Done. Book it. (unless he gets injured)

fixed that for ya. you're not as delusional as some Laker fans who are championing Lin, but you're still delusional. First it was kyrie...which was delusional. Then it was Stephenson which was delusional. Then you thought you were really going to get Melo (even though you weren't crazy about it)...which was delusional. So, Playoffs. Done. Book it. Is par for the delusional course at this point.

In all seriousness, how do you think a one legged 36 year old Kobe surrounded by journeyman (which is being kind) is going to beat out Memphis, GS, Houston, Portland, SA, OKC, Dallas and the Clippers? None of those teams is losing anyone. Not to mention the Suns who missed their starting PG for half the season and still won 48 games (and a rash of PGs or not - which i'll agree is beyond perplexing and I don't understand - we're still not losing anyone of merit). Which of those teams do you see taking a major step backwards and do you think Kobe by himself, at 36 years is a guy who singlehandedly change a team's fortune by 23 odd games in order to win 50 likely needed to get into the playoffs?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Lakers fan cannot wait for the day Kobe is no longer a Laker. Get rid of him already and let us build for the future. This latest two-year deal did not help the team, IMHO.

not only did it cripple the team, but Kobe the recruiter just recruited...uh...no one to come play with him. and in fact, Kobe the recruiter scared away Howard (which despite D-Dog's "cancer" label, it was CLEAR that the Lakers desperately wanted him back, begging him to stay with hilarious billboards across LA), Pau just left for less money, and besides Melo giving a courtesy call, no one of value even sniffed the Lakers dog-crap ass.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not only did it cripple the team, but Kobe the recruiter just recruited...uh...no one to come play with him. and in fact, Kobe the recruiter scared away Howard (which despite D-Dog's "cancer" label, it was CLEAR that the Lakers desperately wanted him back, begging him to stay with hilarious billboards across LA), Pau just left for less money, and besides Melo giving a courtesy call, no one of value even sniffed the Lakers dog-crap ass.

Imagine this team had they jettisoned Kobe and had a clean slate to offer superstars in free agency?

LBJ, Melo, etc. definitely would have thought about coming to a Kobe-free Los Angeles Lakers team.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatevs. It will be a long, boring season. Kobe will gun though, so that should be kind of entertaining. Randle will develop, so that's the key of what to watch this year.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was worried we would get Melo, which would put us exactly where we are now in two more years. A max player for a guy who dominates the ball and scores a lot, aging and on the decline, only Melo has 1/10th the drive of Kobe.

So yea, I was worried we'd get Melo.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine this team had they jettisoned Kobe and had a clean slate to offer superstars in free agency?

LBJ, Melo, etc. definitely would have thought about coming to a Kobe-free Los Angeles Lakers team.

I find it easy to imagine. Same roster, no Kobe. :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it easy to imagine. Same roster, no Kobe. :)

Or, Lebron and Melo with some scrubs, no stanks. . Would rather have Kobe retire a Laker and not do him dirty at the end of his career. :shrug:

We'll have the same scenario in two years and can see then what we might build. At that point, Randle will have had two years to develop his game and be an attractive player for a FA or two to want to come play with.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or, Lebron and Melo with some scrubs, no stanks. . Would rather have Kobe retire a Laker and not do him dirty at the end of his career. :shrug:

We'll have the same scenario in two years and can see then what we might build. At that point, Randle will have had two years to develop his game and be an attractive player for a FA or two to want to come play with.

El BJ and Melo were never going there.

Quoting Shane:

FACT

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
El BJ and Melo were never going there.

Quoting Shane:

FACT

In Brian's world where they kicked Kobe to the curb and had 50 million to spend, that's what the argument is.

IMO, LBJ was always going home, no matter what. Completes his heros journey travel with a win there (not saying it will happen, but if it does, holy crap the story is nice).

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Brian's world where they kicked Kobe to the curb and had 50 million to spend, that's what the argument is.

IMO, LBJ was always going home, no matter what. Completes his heros journey travel with a win there (not saying it will happen, but if it does, holy crap the story is nice).

Exactly. Like I said, El BJ and Melo were not going there.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Center: Jordan Hll/Robert Sacre and someone else (hopefully). Separate the amount of money Jordan Hill was overpaid from what he can do on the court. He is an X factor, playing hard around the rim, rebounding and getting put backs. Pairing him with Julius Randle means the Lakers will rarely be outrebounded but they will be undersized. Do they have the athleticism and footwork to stop Blake Griffin or Zach Randolph? (Upgrade C).

ha

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forward: Julius Randle is the type of power forward the Lakers have never had. He is tough and physical, a guy who chases down rebounds and plays as hard as he can every time he is on the court. He is not the most athletic power forward but he offsets that with his skill which is better suited for the NBA than college. His backup has yet to be determined. (Upgrade: Incomplete)

:thud:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The poster formerly known as abomb agrees that the Kobe contract was not the reason Lebron and Melo were not interested in the Lakers.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Randle. He is everything I want in a player. I was petrified they would do something stupid to get Melo involving trading Randle.

He was an absolute steal, IMO. Work ethic like crazy, beast, aggressive with good touch. NBA body.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, what position would the Lakers be in if Dwight Howard had sign a long term deal with them?

Did they only decide to clear deck until after he shunned them?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, what position would the Lakers be in if Dwight Howard had sign a long term deal with them?

Did they only decide to clear deck until after he shunned them?

A big cluster. 1st round exit team, whiny and hard to watch.

The Nash trade went south fast because of injury but the Dwight thing was the biggest mistake this franchise made in 10 years, minimum. That guy was toxic, heartless and worthless. Building a team around him would be a massive mistake.

Give me Randle every single time and let's go from there.

I can't begin to explain the conviction of my 180 degree turn on Howard. The last straw for me was when he jawed with Nash up the court because Nash, falling out of bounds and making a play, put the ball right into Dwight's hands and not up at the rim "causing" Dwight to miss. Two trips up and down the court he bitched about it, and Nash yelled back at him. SMH. Guy was an effing goon who never should have come to that team. Billboard was an embarassment. Dwight is gutless and not remotely a leader. He's a big clown. Wouldn't even run the pick and roll with Nash...clown.

This from a guy who wanted him from day one, and hoped we could have traded for his draft rights back in the day. One season was one too many.

Bottom line, with Dwight they wouldn't be a championship contender. Playoffs only if he tried.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I certainly don't want to give the Lakers a ray of hope but I watched some of their summer league game last night while working and I really like Randle. Unreal handles for a guy his size. He could be almost unguardable if he develops a mid-range J to keep defenders honest.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson