The 2014-15 Los Angeles Lakers thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers don't even know what they are going to do. If they get melo, meh. But that's a playoff squad. If they don't, and sign two solid young FA, they can get to the playoffs as well. The pick is top five protected. Randle is bonafide.

Kobe has good year(s) left.

But whatever they do, barring further injury, they will be in the playoffs this season.

Kyrie took the max from Cleveland..his loss. Love was negated by the Lakers drafting JR. And BTW, I don't think I've ever been gung ho on the Lakes getting Love, but I like him. I do mancrush Kyrie though, but that has always been pipe, and was 2016 pipe at that.

I'm not a big fan of Melo. I'm not a big fan of Lebron. I really wouldn't be happy with either guy, but either is playoffs. Both, while pipe, is def playoffs and probably finals..but again, I'm not going to have a lot of fun cheering for that, and it's basically a 5 year plan anyway. Melo is 30, and Lebron is 4 years from breakdown.

I'm still hoping for the approach of an Isiah Thomas, Lance Stephenson type of dual signing, and rolling with that, parlaying it out into a squeak into the playoffs type of team.

A big "fa splash" is going to put asses in the seats, but isn't a long term winning strategy. Locking down IT and LS for 4 years on 10M deals will be, IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers don't even know what they are going to do. If they get melo, meh. But that's a playoff squad. If they don't, and sign two solid young FA, they can get to the playoffs as well. The pick is top five protected. Randle is bonafide.

Randle is bonafide what? I think he'll be a bonafide PF down the road, but in his first year? Not likely.

Kobe has good year(s) left.

questionable at best. but even if he has good years left, the days of great years are almost certainly done. 35 plus knee/achilles problem will take their toll. thinking otherwise is delusional.

But whatever they do, barring further injury, they will be in the playoffs this season.

they don't even have a coach. And a merely good Kobe Bryant/Lance Stephenson/Isaiah Thomas and a rookie isn't good enough to get in the playoffs in the West. This isn't 2006 Kobe. This Kobe 8 years, multiple knee surgeries and a torn achilles Kobe.

Kyrie took the max from Cleveland..his loss. Love was negated by the Lakers drafting JR. And BTW, I don't think I've ever been gung ho on the Lakes getting Love, but I like him. I do mancrush Kyrie though, but that has always been pipe, and was 2016 pipe at that.

I'm not a big fan of Melo. I'm not a big fan of Lebron. I really wouldn't be happy with either guy, but either is playoffs. Both, while pipe, is def playoffs and probably finals..but again, I'm not going to have a lot of fun cheering for that, and it's basically a 5 year plan anyway. Melo is 30, and Lebron is 4 years from breakdown.

Both isn't even pipe, it's logistically impossible under the cap. Unless for some reason you think both guys are going to take pay cuts to come play for the Lakers...and then again, that's delusional. Even if they sign Melo to the MAX, which is what they offered, at that point they literally have no more room to sign anyone except veterans minimum. A good Kobe/Melo tandem may squeak into the playoffs, but even there, I'm dubious.

I'm still hoping for the approach of an Isiah Thomas, Lance Stephenson type of dual signing, and rolling with that, parlaying it out into a squeak into the playoffs type of team.

A big "fa splash" is going to put asses in the seats, but isn't a long term winning strategy. Locking down IT and LS for 4 years on 10M deals will be, IMO.

well, unfortunately for you, you have Jim Buss making decisions and none of the above is likely...even getting Melo.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, signing Melo to the max leaves about 11M in cap room (stretch Nash). That will pick up Lance or Thomas. Or reup Pau (since Melo wants to play with him, or something).

That includes the cap holds for randle and scrubs.

Stretching Nash gives the Lakers 32-34M to work with, including cap holds. Once they sign up to that, they also have an under the cap exception of 2.5M for some strange reason, which will allow them to give some vet a little more money.

The cap isn't as inflexible as you make out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, signing Melo to the max leaves about 11M in cap room (stretch Nash).

I think stretching Nash only leaves them with 9 million...and with an open market, I'm not sure you're gonna be able to get Lance or Thomas at that salary once Bron decides what he's doing. half of the league has major cap room...but no one can really make a move until Bron does.

And the Lakers ain't getting Melo. Why would he leave 30 million on the table with the Knicks for one year of possibly struggling to make the playoffs with the Lakers (and then being stuck with that team for the future) as opposed to making much more with the Knicks who then have huge cap room next year to surround him with better talent...and better talent in the weaker East.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think stretching Nash only leaves them with 9 million...and with an open market, I'm not sure you're gonna be able to get Lance or Thomas at that salary once Bron decides what he's doing. half of the league has major cap room...but no one can really make a move until Bron does.

And the Lakers ain't getting Melo. Why would he leave 30 million on the table with the Knicks for one year of possibly struggling to make the playoffs with the Lakers (and then being stuck with that team for the future) as opposed to making much more with the Knicks who then have huge cap room next year to surround him with better talent...and better talent in the weaker East.

I don't really want Melo. Trying to outscore everyone is not a long-term success strategy. But NYK aren't all that well off, and dunno if Fish is the coach for Melo. The only money he's really leaving on the table is the 5th year, where he would be able to pick it up in a new deal plus some. The big deal though, is player options after 3 years, when the new TV deals are put in place and the salary cap is higher. Opting out then is a smart move for players.

IIRC Lakers have 32 mil total, after stretching nash (he moves to 3M in that move).

I'd rather them get youth in FA though, and not chase Melo. But, they will chase hard. Hopefully he does go back to NY, and the Lakers focus on IT and LS.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More like 25-26 mil once you add Randle's and the roster minimum cap holds.

That's including those (and I think getting out of the QO for Kelly). Also think the BAE is in play for them as well, which is factored in that figure. And I believe they can also use the MLE, but not sure on how lax that one is. BAE may not be as I'm not sure if they got under the lux tax apron this year or not.

I do believe they can use the rookie exception to sign Randle, and be over the cap with it. Two of those moves will allow them over the cap and free up more pre-cap movement.

There are a lot of little wiggles and shakes to be made in this new CBA. I trust Mitch to understand every nuance and use them as much as possible.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's including those (and I think getting out of the QO for Kelly). Also think the BAE is in play for them as well, which is factored in that figure. And I believe they can also use the MLE, but not sure on how lax that one is. BAE may not be as I'm not sure if they got under the lux tax apron this year or not.

I do believe they can use the rookie exception to sign Randle, and be over the cap with it. Two of those moves will allow them over the cap and free up more pre-cap movement.

There are a lot of little wiggles and shakes to be made in this new CBA. I trust Mitch to understand every nuance and use them as much as possible.

If a team doesn't renounce their exceptions then they get counted towards the cap not added to it.

Kobe - 23.5mil
Nash Stretch - 3.23mil
Randle cap hold - 2.5mil
Sacre - .9 mil
10 empty roster spots - 7.7 mil

Total - 37.8 mil
Cap - 63.2 mil

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The roster hold you have is too high, by about 2M. They would also be eligible to use the minimum salary exception to sign older vets, if they hit the cap. Their holds are the first year holds/rookie minimum salary, roughly half a million in 2014. That's balanced out a bit by the QO to Kelly, which also reduces the min hold by 1 more body.

Duh, I should have thought smarter on the MLE/BAE, which they probably will renounce. Thanks for pointing that out. I've been waiting on a response from Larry Coon as to the rookie exception.

Too bad they can't trick someone into taking Nash, don't the Suns want him back for a retirement party this year? }:)

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus, if they wanted to get stupid, (and really piss me off) they could package Nash and Randle to someone instead of stretching Nash, which saves another 4.5M (taking into account the additional $1m in cap holds for the two bodies gone)

Perhaps that's where I've seen the 32M number.

That's a nightmare, IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus, if they wanted to get stupid, (and really piss me off) they could package Nash and Randle to someone instead of stretching Nash, which saves another 4.5M (taking into account the additional $1m in cap holds for the two bodies gone)

Perhaps that's where I've seen the 32M number.

That's a nightmare, IMO.

anyway you skin this cat, I think the Lakers are looking at a nightmare for the foreseeable future. they're a franchise with an aging star choking over a 1/3 of their cap, no coach and their pitch to anyone willing to listen is all about looking in the rear-view mirror...mostly because if they look out the front, they know they're headed right for a cliff.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyway you skin this cat, I think the Lakers are looking at a nightmare for the foreseeable future. they're a franchise with an aging star choking over a 1/3 of their cap, no coach and their pitch to anyone willing to listen is all about looking in the rear-view mirror...mostly because if they look out the front, they know they're headed right for a cliff.

Oh cheese.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, cheese. These posts are so cute.

search your feeling D-Dogg...you know them to be true.

The Lakers lost the biggest FA last summer, who took a pay cut to go to a smaller market in Houston after the Lakers begged him to stay. The Lakers haven't even been granted an audience with biggest FA in the game and they're going to get jilted by Melo. But yeah, keep holding out hope that Lance Stephenson, Isaiah Thomas and a one legged Kobe Bryant will return you to prominence and that you're going to get Durant in two years. That FA plan worked real well for Irving/Love.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Dwight is a cancer, and a massive dick who couldn't get along with Steve Nash ffs. That was dodging a bullet.

And Mitch met with LeBron's agent already. Flew out to meet with him directly after meeting with Melo.

And unfortunately, the Lakers have a good shot at getting Melo.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Dwight is a cancer, and a massive dick who couldn't get along with Steve Nash ffs. That was dodging a bullet.

And Mitch met with LeBron's agent already. Flew out to meet with him directly after meeting with Melo.

And unfortunately, the Lakers have a good shot at getting Melo.

i think Melo played the Lakers (and the Rockets) to get Phil to pony up the MAX deal he publicly said he didn't want to give him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They got Lin and a 1st for nothing.

Lin is pretty much nothing.

so much for Isiaha Thomas, huh D-Dog? And apparently Melo...but I'm sure they'll get Lance Stephenson like you said and that Lance, Kobe and Lin will land the Lakers in the playoffs.