The 2013-14 Los Angeles Lakers thread

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers put in good effort against the Jazz. Kaman having a good game so MD sits him in favor of Sacre at the end of the 4th and Lakers lose.

MD is a terrible coach.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so torn. They are entertaining to watch still, I love guys like Hill getting good minutes..I hate seeing them lose but I am all in for the ping pong balls at this point. MDA will guide us to the lottery if we just let him, and I'm ok with that...makes more of a case to fire him and plus we get a young buck to groom for future success.

Still, I hate watching these guys lose...

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_...rew-bynum-trade

The Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers have had discussions on a trade that would involve Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, league sources told ESPN.com.

No deal is believed to be imminent, but both sides are mulling it over ahead of a Jan. 7 deadline when the second half of Bynum's $12.25 million salary would be guaranteed. The Cavs suspended Bynum for one game this weekend for conduct detrimental to the team and have excused him indefinitely from all activities, including games.

By trading Gasol in a package for Bynum and then waiving him, the injury-ravaged Lakers could save more than $20 million in salaries and luxury taxes, which could help them maintain financial flexibility heading into the next few summers. A Gasol-Bynum trade would have to include at least one other player and perhaps other assets from Cleveland.

The Lakers are reluctant to part with the four-time All-Star in any trade without receiving assets of some value in return, sources said.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Farmar tears his hammy in a different place. Out another month.

It is getting comical.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers with a good game last night. 110-99 over the Jazz

Gasol showing off for the Cavs? P. Gasol 23 Pts, 17 Reb, 8 Ast, 3 Blk

Marshall with a good game. 20 Pts, 15 Ast and 6 Reb

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers got smoked last night by the Clips 123-87. Clips put up 70 in the first half.

Lakers only scored 8 in the third.

Jim and Mitch should be embarrassed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

man...the tank is definitely on...but how is that gonna square when Kobe comes back? I mean...why even bring Kobe back this year?

better question is, with all that salary cap room, you've already said they're probably going after Melo...but do you REALLY think any combination of Kobe/Melo = contender? I think we all remember how old and aging volume scorer + Melo worked the last time someone tried that combo with Iverson.

I sincerely hope Melo is the Lakers plan, because that plan ain't going nowhere.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man...the tank is definitely on...but how is that gonna square when Kobe comes back? I mean...why even bring Kobe back this year?

Even healthy Kobe won't save them when he comes back. Personally, I'd shut him down but then again, how do you tell him that. He'd murder you. But he's still rusty, and will be even more rusty. If they deal Pau at the deadline, it's over and it would be dumb to roll Kobe out there.

better question is, with all that salary cap room, you've already said they're probably going after Melo...but do you REALLY think any combination of Kobe/Melo = contender? I think we all remember how old and aging volume scorer + Melo worked the last time someone tried that combo with Iverson.

Melo is certainly part of the plan, but I don't think it's a good plan. In all honesty though, the NBA is about the pairing of Superstars with the correct role players - that's where the battle is most often won. I don't see any potential contender type role players on the Lakers right now, other than Jordan Hill who is an effort and rebound machine, so Mitch has a hell of a job on his plate...and Jim Buss is a freaking idiot which doesn't help.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even healthy Kobe won't save them when he comes back. Personally, I'd shut him down but then again, how do you tell him that. He'd murder you. But he's still rusty, and will be even more rusty. If they deal Pau at the deadline, it's over and it would be dumb to roll Kobe out there.

Melo is certainly part of the plan, but I don't think it's a good plan. In all honesty though, the NBA is about the pairing of Superstars with the correct role players - that's where the battle is most often won. I don't see any potential contender type role players on the Lakers right now, other than Jordan Hill who is an effort and rebound machine, so Mitch has a hell of a job on his plate...and Jim Buss is a freaking idiot which doesn't help.

agreed with all of the above. I think it's gonna be a pretty ugly ending for Kobe's career...which I'm totally fine with.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agreed with all of the above. I think it's gonna be a pretty ugly ending for Kobe's career...which I'm totally fine with.

Honestly, I'd be fine with two years of focused "gun Kobe, gun" and see what magical performances he can squeeze out of the rock. Isn't going to win titles, but could be fun. He's not in 81 shape any more, but I can see some 50 streaks. Find some young draft talent and role players, grow it, then splurge on FA in 2 years to start dusting the gears off on the ring machine again. He'd never buy into it, but I gurantee he's thought about it. He loves him some rings, but he loves him some him just as much. Melo isn't getting the Lakers a ring, and I'd almost rather spend Melo money on three glue type guys.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd be fine with two years of focused "gun Kobe, gun" and see what magical performances he can squeeze out of the rock. Isn't going to win titles, but could be fun. He's not in 81 shape any more, but I can see some 50 streaks.

i'll be surprised if you get any magic out of the next two years. being able to shoot 30 times a game with no talent around you is one thing at 28-30, but having to do carry that much of load at 36 is just begging for more stress on a body that could already be breaking down.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
i'll be surprised if you get any magic out of the next two years. being able to shoot 30 times a game with no talent around you is one thing at 28-30, but having to do carry that much of load at 36 is just begging for more stress on a body that could already be breaking down.

Agreed... Though, I have no doubt Kobe will come back and, on rare occasion, put up 30 points... making people believe in him and the potential that he could play a pivotal role in leading the team to a championship.
The reality is exactly how you say however. In order for Kobe to last a few more years, he simply can't be "the guy" any longer. Will the Lakers realize this and being to put better pieces around him? Will Kobe allow it to happen and allow himself to become the #2 or #3 option?? Doubt it...

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed... Though, I have no doubt Kobe will come back and, on rare occasion, put up 30 points... making people believe in him and the potential that he could play a pivotal role in leading the team to a championship.
The reality is exactly how you say however. In order for Kobe to last a few more years, he simply can't be "the guy" any longer. Will the Lakers realize this and being to put better pieces around him? Will Kobe allow it to happen and allow himself to become the #2 or #3 option?? Doubt it...

#2 or 3 option with that contract? Good luck.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers hold meeting after ejection of Young

Young, who received a one-game suspension for throwing a punch at Phoenix's Goran Dragic while retaliating to a hard foul from Suns rookie center Alex Len, said after the Suns game Wednesday that he was upset with his teammates for making him feel like it was "1-on-5" and not coming to his side when he was confronted by several Phoenix players.

"I think we all know what to do now in situations like that," Young said. "Once we talked, we aired it out and we're all good."

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always great to beat Boston.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It's just not as fun making Laker jokes, anymore.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe return now "up in the air".

full on Spurs tank mode in Hell A.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose