that ILB position and the draft

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
lets assume the Isiah Simmons is gone at #8.

draft options for a ILB are:

I suppose Keim could trade down to a spot where the next tier of ILB makes sense. That would be:

Kenneth Murray of Oklahoma
Patrick Queen of LSU

similar players in that both are 6'1"-ish 230 lbs, super athletic and can run. Both are ranked roughly in the 20s -- and my fear is that Keim trades down to 12 or something and reaches for one of these. He seems to overvalue these kinds of guys.

Assuming no trade down, some / all of these guys will likely be around at #72:

Troy Dye, Oregon
Jordan Brooks, Texas Tech
Malik Harrison, Ohio St

Dye fits the long (6'4", 225 lbs) run and chase, drop into coverage player. Productive, played the last half of the season with a broken hand.

Brooks and Harrison seem more like zone coverage guys rather than someone you want covering a back or a TE.

in the 4th Round:

Willie Gay, Miss St
Akeem Davis Gaither, App St.

Gay has 1st round ability, but suspensions in college are a huge red flag, including one for punching his own QB in the face.

Davis-Gaither 6-2, 220 is the undersized, very fast and athletic. Think poor mans Isiah Simmons who played at a lower level.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One such prospect the Cardinals have interest in is California linebacker Evan Weaver.

According to Draft Wire’s Justin Melo, the Cardinals have lined up a private visit with Weaver.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Queen came on late in his career at LSU.
He'll be over drafted. Pedestrian tackler.

Where we'll be picking he's not an option.

Murray if we're trading down multiple times.

Otherwise we're looking at #72 or one of the two 4ths.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I suppose Keim could trade down to a spot where the next tier of ILB makes sense. That would be:

Kenneth Murray of Oklahoma
Patrick Queen of LSU

similar players in that both are 6'1"-ish 230 lbs, super athletic and can run. Both are ranked roughly in the 20s -- and my fear is that Keim trades down to 12 or something and reaches for one of these. He seems to overvalue these kinds of guys.

Assuming no trade down, some / all of these guys will likely be around at #72:

Troy Dye, Oregon
Jordan Brooks, Texas Tech
Malik Harrison, Ohio St

Dye fits the long (6'4", 225 lbs) run and chase, drop into coverage player. Productive, played the last half of the season with a broken hand.

Brooks and Harrison seem more like zone coverage guys rather than someone you want covering a back or a TE.

in the 4th Round:

Willie Gay, Miss St

Gay has 1st round ability, but suspensions in college are a huge red flag, including one for punching his own QB in the face.

Davis-Gaither 6-2, 220 is the undersized, very fast and athletic. Think poor mans Isiah Simmons who played at a lower level.
Davis-Gaither is my favorite (at this early stage) for Cardinal "draft sleeper." If we don't draft Simmons, Davis-Gaither would be an intriguing later choice.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We could also add a guy like Jeremy Chinn in the third that would be a great matchup guy to cover TE’s. He is like what Dbuc was supposed to be in coverage

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I would jump for joy if we got Brooks, but with no R2 pick that wont happen. We will miss out on several really good players we need by not having a second rounder this draft.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
https://www.azcardinals.com/news/fi...-revamped-front-seven-with-de-vondre-campbell

I still say we draft a ILBer, because I always say that, but I have liked this Campbell kids since I saw he was going to be a free agent this offseason. I like he will do better than many think at the position.

I also think if Simmons is there, you draft him.

You can find a right tackle later in the draft.

Heck, I think the Cardinals can really invest in BPA at this point. Their starting 22 is pretty solid at the moment.

Reaction score

in the 4th Round:

Willie Gay, Miss St

Which one has the best instincts?
Davis-Gaither is my favorite (at this early stage) for Cardinal "draft sleeper." If we don't draft Simmons, Davis-Gaither would be an intriguing later choice.
With Jeff G. on this. Biggest negative on Davis-Gaither is his somewhat smaller size. But otherwise he has great instincts, and abilities, a sideline to sideline player. He was a Butkus award candidate, and got good reviews at the Senior Bowl.

Senior Bowl notes: Two different AFC scouts made mention of Appalachian State's Akeem Davis-Gaither, an undersized linebacker who could make a rookie impact as a coverage linebacker and on special teams. Both said Davis-Gaither's speed and instincts will make him an attractive selection, one who will prove to be "a third- and fourth-down player."

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Jeff G. on this. Biggest negative on Davis-Gaither is his somewhat smaller size. But otherwise he has great instincts, and abilities, a sideline to sideline player. He was a Butkus award candidate, and got good reviews at the Senior Bowl.

Senior Bowl notes: Two different AFC scouts made mention of Appalachian State's Akeem Davis-Gaither, an undersized linebacker who could make a rookie impact as a coverage linebacker and on special teams. Both said Davis-Gaither's speed and instincts will make him an attractive selection, one who will prove to be "a third- and fourth-down player."
Can he plug a hole and tackle?

wkycardsfan

Rookie
Reaction score
Gay from Miss St is bat shyt crazy. Tons of talent but nothing but trouble at Miss St hard pass on him

Reaction score
Can he plug a hole and tackle?
From NFL.com - Bio:
Davis-Gaither became a playmaker for the Mountaineers in 2018, starting all 13 games, earning second-team All-Sun Belt honors, leading the team with 105 tackles (10 for loss, 1.5 sacks), and tying for the team lead with seven pass breakups. He earned the SBC Defensive Player of the Year Award his senior campaign, starting all 14 games (104 tackles, team-high 14.5 for loss, five sacks, one interception, eight pass breakups, one blocked kick).

From what I have seen of him, Davis-Gaither likes to tackle moving forward and into the tackle. Then again one opinion I read said, due to size he will be a "drag down tackler at the next level". But he could be able to put on weight and in a year or two play comfortably at 230-235 lbs.

So overall, a little smaller, but knows how and can make plays.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson