Thank you Michael Jordan

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Chris_Sanders, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

2. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

Hah when I said this off season was the Kelly Oubre trade all over...

Jones trying to be dumb and falls into it turning out. It's like an old comedy sketch of the doofus who does well.

Mr Bean Manages the Suns

3. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Feels like Jones’s dumb luck is going to run out.

GatorAZ and Chris_Sanders like this.
  4. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I bet the Suns were unwilling to offer Rozier anything close to what Charlotte gave him. I also doubt they valued Rozier higher than Rubio, they just thought that Rubio was going to Indiana and was out of the picture. When Milwaukee let Brogdon walk, Indiana quit pursuing Rubio, and the Suns were able to get him.

Serendipity.

I am unwilling to say it is just dumb luck. It is luck with the willingness to switch the focus to take advantage of an opportunity. I am giving Jones the benefit of the doubt on this one. I do not know for sure of course.

And yes, thank you MJ. If he had not pushed for Rozier, Jones might have committed to Rozier to quickly and then when Rubio became available, it would have been too late.

CardsSunsDbacks and Superbone like this.
  5. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Maybe we should thank Michael Jordon for Devin Booker as well.

There was concern by some in the 2015 NBA Draft the Suns might have interest in Frank Kaminsky.

Luckily Jordon prevailed in his desire to draft Kaminsky.

6. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Book would’ve demanded a trade by the all star break.

7. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

Hey quit hammering Charlotte. They sure have won more games then Phoenix the last five years. And probably will win more this year two.

8. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

I can't fault a GM for a deal that didn't get made. I wouldn't have minded Rozier had he cost half of what he signed for but odds are his deal was a lot more than that. I'm glad we didn't sign him and got Rubio instead but since the deal for Rozier didn't go through and no one knows the money involved, I don't think Jones should be judged to negatively for a deal that didn't happen and wasn't all that close to happening.

9. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Yeah that.

And thank you MJ.

10. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I wouldn’t be so sure. Their best player is now Terry Rozier.

11. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

This is Charlotte's MO. Their cap sheet is a horror show.

If you just look at this year's salaries, they've got a near monopoly on insane contracts.

Cody Zellar for 14.5 million a year is one of their BETTER contracts.

They've got the 10th highest payroll in the NBA and I don't know that they've got a single starting caliber player on their entire roster.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  12. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

Everyone here in Charlotte is saying the same thing but some feel the young guys and Vets will still win. Most wanted a Tank like the rest of the league without a superstar.

13. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

I don't think they're the worst team in the league, there are other teams with less serviceable players but they're probably the most bleak. Other terrible teams have some young guy they're hoping will be a star, the Hornets have nothing. They're expensive, relatively old and they don't have an above average player on the roster, it's a bunch of 6th-7th men.

I can somewhat understand deciding that the Kemba Walker team wasn't going anywhere so a rebuild might be better than throwing him a massive contract, but that logic goes out the window when you turnaround and give a bum like Rozier nearly 20 mil a year. Lost an all-star and then blew most of that savings on a guy that I think stinks. Makes no sense.

14. Proximo

Proximo Registered

This does not inspire me with confidence in James Jones.

I really do not understand how Rozier could ever be a legit target for 15+ million a year. Minus his one tiny playoff spurt he has had a career very similar to Isiah Canaan.

If this is how Jones really evaluates PG's, we need to pray Leque gets a jump shot and becomes our long term answer - because I don't think Rubio is going to be satisfactory even though he is a big improvement over what we have had.

15. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

How do you know we offered him 15+ a year? Here's what we know:

1) We liked Rubio -- whether you agree with that is another topic. We were told he was going to Indiana.
    2) Indiana was going to get Rubio and by all accounts, Rubio agreed.
    3) Brogdan became available and Indiana reached out and got him, nullifying whatever verbal agreement they had with Rubio.
    4) Because we thought Rubio was going to Indiana, we shifted to Rozier. No money has been mentioned in any report.
    5) Rozier thought he was going to the Knicks, and then got a better offer from us. There's no word what we offered, nor what NY was willing to pay.
    6) Charlotte came calling and Rozier got more than he probably would have gotten from us or NY.
    7) Since Indy went with Rubio, we jumped on him, and he was our preference over Rozier in the first place.

These are all facts as we know them, and the ONLY numbers that are known at this point are what we paid Rubio and what Charlotte is paying Rozier.

Without more concrete facts, I just don't understand how James Jones is the bad guy, or at worst the idiot, in all these scenarios.

Raze likes this.