taping from the dish?

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
From another recently hooked up Sunday Ticket Subscriber (sorry Russ!), how do I tape programs above channel 99? On my VCR, I can't go to triple digits. If I set up to allow my DT remote control the VCR will I have that ability? Thanks to anyone that can help.

I lucked out since there were several large trees in the yard. But, we were able to sneak a line through. I did have to wait a week though because no one showed up the first time. When I called, they said the guy that was supposed to install mine got hurt that day and was in the hospital. Like that's an excuse :D

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CT Card Fan
From another recently hooked up Sunday Ticket Subscriber (sorry Russ!), how do I tape programs above channel 99? On my VCR, I can't go to triple digits. If I set up to allow my DT remote control the VCR will I have that ability? Thanks to anyone that can help.

I lucked out since there were several large trees in the yard. But, we were able to sneak a line through. I did have to wait a week though because no one showed up the first time. When I called, they said the guy that was supposed to install mine got hurt that day and was in the hospital. Like that's an excuse :D

You should have your direct TV going through your VCR and your VCR should stay on channel 3 or 4 and never move. You change your channels through your direect tv reciever llike me :)

Works like a champ been recording all the games for years!

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
The only problem you should have is taping the game and watching something else while the game is on. I don't think you can do that unless you have a second reciever or the DVR. In order to tape the game while you are out, sleeping, etc., you will simply turn on the Satellite Reciever, tune into the channel the game is on, turn on VCR and turn it to channel 3 or 4 (depends on VCR type or a switch in back of the VCR). Just make sure that the "OUT TO TV" coax on the reciever is going to the "IN FROM ANTENNA" on the VCR, that way the signal is passing through the VCR before it gets to the TV. Once the signal leaves the reciever it acts just like a cable signal. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
C

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I do have that, but what about setting the timer to record if you're not there? When I try to program, it only goes up to 99. So, how do I program the timer for higher channels?

I know, I shouldn't have any plans during the actual game :eek:
But sometimes it's unavoidable. I am good for this week, but I need to know for the future. Just in case.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
You'll simply have to make sure the DirecTV reciever is turned on, and on the right channel before you go, and then set timer to tape on channel 3. Or do what I do and have my wife tape the game for me if I'm at work or something. :)

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CT Card Fan
Thanks! I do have that, but what about setting the timer to record if you're not there? When I try to program, it only goes up to 99. So, how do I program the timer for higher channels?

I know, I shouldn't have any plans during the actual game :eek:
But sometimes it's unavoidable. I am good for this week, but I need to know for the future. Just in case.

CT Card fan, set it to record either channel 3 or 4, whichever channel you're using and just make sure that you're Direct TV receiver is set to the channel you want to record.

OP
OP
C

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I should have thought of that I guess. If the VCR is set to channel 3 and the dish is on, then if I program to tape "channel 3", it will tape whatever channel the dish is set to. I knew there had to be some way that I could still use the timer.

Thanks Hookem 2. We have some other overlapping favorites it appears. St Louis Cards. And Blues. I'm not a big hockey fan, but since I already liked the St Louis Cards (baseball and football at the time) I picked the Blues to follow.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Hey CT

I never followed Hockey much myself until about 5 yrs ago when I moved to Dallas. At that time, the Cowboys, Mavericks, and Rangers all sucked, but the Stars were pretty damn good, so being the fair weather fans that they are everyone was talking about the Stars, so I started watching the NHL a bit and naturally picked the Blues since I am from St. Louis. Both the Blues and Stars were pretty good and had a bit of a rivalry going on so I started watching some of the games, and I'll tell you it is alot of fun to watch. I generally don't follow hockey until Jan when football is over, but I like it alot.

ChiCard

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to rain on the parade but I've had a DirecTv dish since 1994 and there are no VCR's I'm aware of that have a sat. tuner in them. I've taped every game over the last ten years and you have to put your VCR on it's auxliary channel which should be identified as L1, V1, or A1 once you run past all the channels. I just purchased a new S-VHS VCR about 10 days ago and it's the same with that one. Now you might have to put your TV on Channel 3/4 nut the VCR? Never heard of that. You can't chnage the station on the Dish through the VCR. I'll be happy to stand corrected though.

hoopcoach

Reaction score
CT...if youre presetting your vcr to record while your gone, be careful because the channels for the NFL ticket dont come up until approx 2 hours before game time. in other words, lets say the cardinals play at 1:00 on channel 712. if you try to set your dish on channel 712 like at 9:00am it wont be there. a good way to make sure its up is to start at channel 710 and change your channels one at a time with the remote. if it lands on 712 youre good to go. if it skips to like 800 its not up yet. hope youre not confused.
-coach

hoopcoach

Reaction score
Originally posted by ChiCard
I don't want to rain on the parade but I've had a DirecTv dish since 1994 and there are no VCR's I'm aware of that have a sat. tuner in them. I've taped every game over the last ten years and you have to put your VCR on it's auxliary channel which should be identified as L1, V1, or A1 once you run past all the channels. I just purchased a new S-VHS VCR about 10 days ago and it's the same with that one. Now you might have to put your TV on Channel 3/4 nut the VCR? Never heard of that. You can't chnage the station on the Dish through the VCR. I'll be happy to stand corrected though.

chicard..i dunno..;ive taped on several vcrs over the years and ive always set the tv on channel 4, turn the dish on, set the vcr on whatever channel gives me a picture 3 or 4 and tape away!

CardsRep03

Registered
Reaction score
Chicard is right on this one. I've got a JVC S-VCR and it has to be on aux as well. L-1 I think it is. Also, DirecTV sent me a schedule of the games and what channel they're on. You can set the number for the Card's game in advance on your satellite, #708 this week, program your VCR to record time, date and then set your vcr to AUX channel. You see, if you had only a VCR and TV, the vcr would be the tuner(whereby which you change channels) BUT, you've added a different TUNER--the DIRECTV TUNER--which you now use to change channels. Not your VCR. You have to allow the signal from the Directv to come into your VCR via the AUX channel. By the way Chicard is your VCR a JVC? If it is, don't you love the express programming feature? So easy and quick to set up.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by hoopcoach
chicard..i dunno..;ive taped on several vcrs over the years and ive always set the tv on channel 4, turn the dish on, set the vcr on whatever channel gives me a picture 3 or 4 and tape away!

Tahats exactly right!

Works like a champ for me has for years!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose