Taking huge investment chance

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I purchased a significant amount of Sirius Satellite Radio (SIRI) stock today. I transfered some of my not so well performing mutal funds into it. Stupid Howard Stern better help me out :mad:

It's a 6 bucks and some change, I don't think it will go any lower. HeavyB3 you better be pitching Sirius like your life depends on it, because it just might :D

Last edited:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I purchased a significant amount of Sirius Satellite Radio (SIRI) stock today. I transfered some of my not so well performing mutal funds into it. Stupid Howard Stern better help me out :mad:

It's a 6 bucks and some change, I don't think it will go any lower. HeavyB3 you better be pitching Sirius like your life depends on it, because it just might :D

I thought about that last week but read somewhere that Sirius has to sell 1 million new subscribers dang near immediately to break even.

Does Stern have that kind of pull?

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
I thought about that last week but read somewhere that Sirius has to sell 1 million new subscribers dang near immediately to break even.

This is not the kind of feedback I was looking for :mad:

Yeah I knew they were having some cash flow problems, that is why I hope I have caught them at rock bottom. I have been following them for a while and thought now was the time to go.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:

We are sold out of all Sirius units at my CC. We've sold hundreds of them. It is the gift to give this christmas.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:

Stern in spaceTOP SHOCK JOCK PLOTS OUTRAGEOUS STUNTS AS HE TRADES AIRWAVES FOR SATELLITE RADIOBy Larry McShaneAssociated Press

The seeds of the Howard Stern satellite radio revolution are planted in a simple black spiral notebook.
Across its blank pages, the Lenny Bruce of broadcasting scrawls ideas for the riskiest (and richest) move of his radio career, a collection of deranged concepts that fly unfettered from his id, without fears of censorship or staggering federal fines.
None of it is Shakespeare. All of it is pure Stern.
How about a panel of crack-addicted hookers doing their version of ``The View''? Or a boozy, dope-smoking Stern regular known as Jeff the Drunk undergoing live psychoanalysis?
``To my audience, that's the Babe Ruth of shows,'' Stern says excitedly about the last offering. ``I'm hitting home runs left and right now! I couldn't do that on terrestrial radio!''
With his farewell to terrestrial radio after 25 years now complete -- his final show was Friday -- the final step in his escape from the clutches of his longtime nemesis, the Federal Communications Commission, is set for Jan. 9.
The self-proclaimed ``King of All Media'' -- whose morning show was broadcast on San Francisco-based KITS-FM (105.3) -- will begin his new show on Sirius Satellite Radio. There the shock jock will be paid $500 million over five years to make its business viable after tens of millions of dollars in losses. Stern's windfall includes salaries, overhead and other costs for his programming a pair of Sirius stations.
The move is not about the freedom to spew four-letter words, or five-letter words, or even the odd 12-letter word. ``It's about ideas,'' Stern argues. ``This is a free-speech issue. I represent everything they can't do on regular radio.''
And so far, so good: Since Stern announced his move last year, subscribers for the $12.95-a-month service have increased from 600,000 to more than 2.2 million -- less than 20 percent of the audience for his enormously successful syndicated show.
Stern says he was told that recruiting 1 million listeners was the break-even point for Sirius, although he says he's not counting.
``A personal success is where I feel the programming on my channel and my show is up to par, and I think I can hit that mark,'' Stern says. ``I think I can give my audience what they want.''
No argument there.
His radio show was reality programming before it existed, with Stern expounding on subjects from his ex-wife's miscarriage to his plans to run for governor of New York. The show hit No. 1 in New York, Philadelphia, Washington and Los Angeles. He wrote two bestselling books, and starred in a hit movie.
Yet Stern's success was hardly instantaneous. He was fired from his college radio station, bolted a Washington station after a nasty falling out over money and material, and was subsequently fired by a New York station for airing bits like ``********** Dial-a-Date.''
The dismissal spurred Stern's ascension: his jump to a rival New York station, his national syndication, his audience of 12 million listeners and annual advertising revenues of about $100 million for Infinity Broadcasting. He freely admits that crushing his old bosses was a huge motivation.
This time, Stern's vitriol is directed at a pair of media conglomerates, Clear Channel and Infinity's parent, Viacom. It was Clear Channel that dumped Stern from six stations in April 2004, while Infinity -- which paid $1.7 million in 1995 to settle FCC complaints against Stern -- recently ran ads that took a pot shot at the shock jock's potty humor.
``I thought Clear Channel and companies like that were going to fight the FCC,'' Stern says. ``I kept hanging around. And they never fought back. . . . They are cowards. They bow, and they deserve to be destroyed.''
Stern was first approached about satellite radio five years ago. The timing and the technology offered by XM, the main competition to his new employer, weren't there yet, Stern says.
``I thought long and hard about going to satellite,'' Stern says. ``I didn't make the decision lightly. I knew I was dead in regular radio -- dead creatively.''
The problem? Stern regularly complained on the radio that the rules for indecency had changed, although the rules were never defined. Janet Jackson's Super Bowl exhibition was no help. His morning show was routinely interrupted by censors.
``I'm still arguing over content,'' Stern noted recently as his terrestrial tenure dwindled. ``It's sort of miserable.''
The future is another story. The 51-year-old Stern, who typically limits his talking to the radio, is promoting Sirius in every possible venue. He has launched a media blitz to promote his impending move, including appearances on ``60 Minutes,'' Newsweek, Esquire, Fox News' ``The O'Reilly Factor,'' -- even a cameo on ``Saturday Night Live.''
``This is huge for me,'' Stern acknowledges. ``I'm leaving the medium that I was so successful in, and starting something so new. There's pressure, no doubt.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
I've been watching SIRI/XM since their inception. Fortunately, I was able to load up my SIRI position around $1.00. Unfortunately, I was a click away from loading up at $.25, but I'm not complaining. And, not selling anytime soon.

In my mind, satellite radio is going to evolve into something massive with or without Stern. (Of course, Stern has been the kick-start Sirius needed.)

I believe Sirius is already developing video content (cartoon channels). And, it seems the advertising possibilities are endless once this happens.

I can eventually see having your favorite video channels streamed to your car. Or, personal information (stock quotes, text messages, maps, gps, weather imagery, targeted advertising, etc).

Once people get hooked, it's likely they'll never want to go back to terrestrial radio. Subscription rates will go up, but people will still shell out the $$$. By then (10 million subs), any slight increase will have a huge impact on the bottom-line.

How long will it be before one of the big boys (Microsoft, Google, DirecTV, etc) looks at getting into the action.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I bought in a about a month ago at $6.84, then sold at $7.08 to dump the money in another stock, then sold that and bought back into Sirius at $7.17....it's bombing now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess, it's a long termer.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
...``It's about ideas,'' Stern argues. ``This is a free-speech issue. I represent everything they can't do on regular radio.''

Wasn't part of the fun listening to Stern was to see how far he would push the FCC envelope?

Now thats gone...why would he still have the title as "shock jock"?

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Thanks Russ, The article I was reading didn't indicate they already increased subscribers so dramatically.

Looks like Ryan will get a present this year after all. :D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
Wasn't part of the fun listening to Stern was to see how far he would push the FCC envelope?

Now thats gone...why would he still have the title as "shock jock"?

I actually can't stand to listen to Howard. The only thing I can handle is his tv show and since they edit that, it's not all that shocking.

I do see your point, the shock of 4 letter words will wear off quickly, there's going to be a lot more pressure on Howard to be consistenly funny because just being outrageous won't hold an audience now that there's no fear of something being banned.

I gotta hand it to him, that's serious money I would have never in a million years believed that guy and the folks working for him would ever get that.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I actually can't stand to listen to Howard. The only thing I can handle is his tv show and since they edit that, it's not all that shocking.

I like to watch the TV show to see all sorts of hot chicks and midgets. :thumbup:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buying stocks is for the weak-hearted.

You need to go for options. They allowed me to lose money in a much more rapid timeframe than holding shares. Time is precious, if you are going to lose money, do it fast.

Efficiency is key.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Another attractive thing about Sirius is that I am hearing that XM Radio may not have the capital (actually they will not have the capital) to keep the NASCAR package. Sirius is all but a sure bet to purchase it... I read that a large amount of XM's subscription base was for the NASCAR channels. The contract expires after the 2006 season.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Another attractive thing about Sirius is that I am hearing that XM Radio may not have the capital (actually they will not have the capital) to keep the NASCAR package. Sirius is all but a sure bet to purchase it... I read that a large amount of XM's subscription base was for the NASCAR channels. The contract expires after the 2006 season.

They already have.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
HeavyB3 said:
They already have.

We'll I guess I should start checking the dates of the random articles I find on the innner-net. I feel dumb in a Kreptich sort of way

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
We'll I guess I should start checking the dates of the random articles I find on the innner-net. I feel dumb in a Kreptich sort of way

Are you insulting me?

:confused:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
More like teasing you :D

I know...I was joking, too.

I feel dumb in a Kreptich sort of way too, now.

:mrgreen:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan, I am torn on your purchase of SIRI. I bought 121 shares at $6.91 on July 19 (that's -4.93% based on 12/20 close of $6.59. Both XM and SIRI have been downgraded at many houses and even [my new fav guy] Jim Cramer believes this stock is a sell. I almost considered selling yesterday (12/19), but decided that I will take the chance that this thing goes to $8 or so in the next 4-5 months, then I will take the money in run. I am a big fan of Mel Karmizan and think he will work some magic with this company.

I have been a Sirius subscriber for over a year and love it 100x over. At least we are in this stock ride together. Be sure to convice friends and family to buy units and subscriptions.

A-Bomb