SWD' S Opinion: Davis will be DC next year

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2 of the last 3 games were wins. Defense is scoring.

An article in the republic about the defense scoring quotes Whiz as saying if the defense keeps playing this good and the offense can pick it up the cardinals will be a very good team.

So enjoy more Davis!

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score

An article in the republic about the defense scoring quotes Whiz as saying if the defense keeps playing this good and the offense can pick it up the cardinals will be a very good team.

So enjoy more Davis!

I attribute the defensive scores more to the mistakes of the bad offenses we played, or maybe a signifigant individual effort than to any scheme we're throwing at them. I certainly hope Davis is gone.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Who's decision was it to start Robinson over Williams, and to put Washington on the bench for part of the season? If that was Davis's idea then all the blame goes on him, but we've been blaming Whiz for starting Robinson, in which case you have to give Davis a partial mulligan. No DC is going to look good if his HC forces him to put crap out there rather than talent.

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score

So enjoy more Davis!

How dare they win such a useless game? Don't THEY know we (SWD) want to lose?

Were there two lumps of coal in the stocking this year for you??:D

OP
OP
C

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How dare they win such a useless game? Don't THEY know we (SWD) want to lose?

Were there two lumps of coal in the stocking this year for you??:D

Was there mention of me not wanting to win in this thread? No. Im basing the post of the article and Whiz's comments. Why not try commenting on the fact that Davis may stay?

You for it against it
?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I just can't see Davis here next year. It's like saying Derrick Anderson will be our starting QB next year. Yes it could happen, but to me it seems highly unlikely.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

So enjoy more Davis!

Good. Since there's going to be a lockout I'd rather have some of the players knowing the system than none of them. Upgrades at NT, ILB, and OLB should help him, as well.

I understand why people don't like Bill Davis, but we've had more TDs on returns than we have had on offense overall. If you actually watch the games, you'll see that players are in a position to make plays (most consistently Paris Lenon and Adrian Wilson) and aren't physically doing it. Bill Davis can't make DRC tackle. He can't make anyone tackle.

This defense was never going to shut teams out or keep teams under 17 points, but when the offense brought nothing to the table for 3/4 of the season, and there wasn't an Ed Reed/Ray Lewis level of defensive leader on the roster (we let him leave to Miami over money), this was bound to happen.

The only person I'd replace Bill Davis with at this point is Greg Manusky who may come free from San Francisco.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just want a Defense that can stop the run and not suck defending the pass. This would put us in the top 15 in the NFL and that is enough to win games (if we actually get a decent QB).

Do we have those players now and Davis is the issue?

Do we need to upgrade a bunch of positions and coupled with the O's (QB) lousy performance then Davis is not the issue?

I have heard myself say during games that Davis needs to go and the sooner the better. Watching the Panthers (for example) move up and down the field and simply run at will (for most of the game) will bring most sane people to the edge.

I'm not sold on the fact that Davis is the issue. No true pass rusher, a SS who doesn't seem to fit any scheme anymore and Paris Lenon being the most consistent LB tells me we need a huge infusion of talent at the position.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I think we will see more coaching changes then people think. I am not sure of the list but we do have some coaches who's contracts run out in just one more week. Some of them will not be retained. If John Clayton is right Russ Grimm to Carolina is a high possibility which means his son the Offense Quality control coach may be leaving as well. Donnie Henderson may be leaving from health issues and the fact that DRC regressed this year along with Toler not progressing like they thought he would. The LB may also be changed due to lack of progress with the young LB's. What about the TE coach who hasn't had a TE progress under him as well. Along with the rumors from Jurecki(who has been right about a lot of things this year) Management may force Wiz hand on a lot of hard coaching decisions for him to want to make.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I attribute the defensive scores more to the mistakes of the bad offenses we played,
You may be able to say that about some of them, but hasn't the defense scored 9 or 10 times? That's more than just playing bad offenses.

That said, Davis is pretty terrible on the whole. But K9 is right, this isn't a year to be tinkering with the key coaching staff.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
You may be able to say that about some of them, but hasn't the defense scored 9 or 10 times? That's more than just playing bad offenses.

That said, Davis is pretty terrible on the whole. But K9 is right, this isn't a year to be tinkering with the key coaching staff.

I think it is a great year for tinkering a coaching staff in terms of talent pool. For one reason alone, the CBA negotiations. Since the owners decided to use the clause in the CBA that cut the deal short by two years most every team in the league has been signing assistant coaches to deals that ended after this season so they wouldn't have to pay them in a year when football may not be played. Along with what looks to be like a lot of coaching staffs getting fired at the end of the year you get a huge amount of coaches to pick from without the red tape of asking for permission and getting denied. Lots of possible talent to pick from maybe more so then years past.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This is what I forewarned against. I knew above average play these last two meaningless games would give Wiz the ammo he needed to keep his loyal soildier in Davis. I love Wiz but I hope he know what he is doing because his loyalty to Davis might cost him his job.

This might be the best year ever to be looking for a DC too. Check out some of these potential available names:

Manusky
Mike Nolan
Rob Ryan
Eric Mangini
Marvin Lewis
Mike Zimmer
Wade Phillips
Perry Fewell
John Fox
Jack Del Rio

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it is a great year for tinkering a coaching staff in terms of talent pool. For one reason alone, the CBA negotiations. Since the owners decided to use the clause in the CBA that cut the deal short by two years most every team in the league has been signing assistant coaches to deals that ended after this season so they wouldn't have to pay them in a year when football may not be played. Along with what looks to be like a lot of coaching staffs getting fired at the end of the year you get a huge amount of coaches to pick from without the red tape of asking for permission and getting denied. Lots of possible talent to pick from maybe more so then years past.

Good stuff Joe, I was thinking the same thing after Cbus thread on all the HC's that could be fired.

What happens with our DC Davis will be very telling if he was simply the best option available at the time or Whiz does think he is the answer.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What? I'm reading that people want Davis back? Seriously? Just goes to show that people are willing to do the same things over and over again and expect different results. If we do bring him back, then those few of you that wanted it will get all that you deserve.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Is there any reason there are threads with these authoritative titles, when nothing has been confirmed one way or another? It's really annoying to go into these threads expecting confirmation of such and getting nothing but idle speculation.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good. Since there's going to be a lockout I'd rather have some of the players knowing the system than none of them. Upgrades at NT, ILB, and OLB should help him, as well.

I understand why people don't like Bill Davis, but we've had more TDs on returns than we have had on offense overall. If you actually watch the games, you'll see that players are in a position to make plays (most consistently Paris Lenon and Adrian Wilson) and aren't physically doing it. Bill Davis can't make DRC tackle. He can't make anyone tackle.

This defense was never going to shut teams out or keep teams under 17 points, but when the offense brought nothing to the table for 3/4 of the season, and there wasn't an Ed Reed/Ray Lewis level of defensive leader on the roster (we let him leave to Miami over money), this was bound to happen.

The only person I'd replace Bill Davis with at this point is Greg Manusky who may come free from San Francisco.

First, the players of every team has voted to decertify the union. if the union goes ahead and does that, then the owners cannot lockout the players, or they can be sued for collusion. There is going to be a lot of drama over this CBA the next few months, and frankly, all of our speculation on who will be playing or coaching could turn out to be moot.

And, as far as Davis goes, get a true threat of a pass rusher, or two, and this defense will be much better. No matter who the DC is.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What? I'm reading that people want Davis back? Seriously? Just goes to show that people are willing to do the same things over and over again and expect different results. If we do bring him back, then those few of you that wanted it will get all that you deserve.

Cards were 18th in scoring and 20th in yardage last year with good players. They had excellent performances against the NYG and the Minnesota Vikings. This defense is capable of being average if the talent is in place (and we were lacking a NT and pass rusher last season, as well).

This is not the case of trying the same things and expecting different results. People who complain about CBs playing too far off the LOS or whatever aren't watching enough of the rest of the NFL; lots of teams do the same thing. Bill Davis can't make Paris Lenon wrap up guys two yards from the LOS, and he can't force Adrian Wilson to look like he cares 70% of the time. That's a talent problem.

If there's a clear upgrade to a more experienced coordinator like Mike Nolan or Wade Phillips, then I would go after him. But change for the sake of change, especially when you're looking at a shortened preseason that will likely not include minicamps or possibly even training camp, is a recipe for failure.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
It's too bad we don't have a GM with some power/intelligence/cajones. If we did, this wouldn't be an issue.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
We almost lost to a team with a third string QB who had never taken an NFL snap.

I realize our QB was not much better but who's offense scored the most points that day?

Those two interceptions were a break, a bounce of the game, giving Davis credit for those is crazy.

We could end up with almost none next year as easy as we got all these, have people not heard of luck?

When I evaluate a defense, I want to see how it does in stopping the other team, turnovers if consistent are great but you can't count on them, if we don't have two TD's on those bounces we never even sniff winning that game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We almost lost to a team with a third string QB who had never taken an NFL snap.

I realize our QB was not much better but who's offense scored the most points that day?

Those two interceptions were a break, a bounce of the game, giving Davis credit for those is crazy.

We could end up with almost none next year as easy as we got all these, have people not heard of luck?

When I evaluate a defense, I want to see how it does in stopping the other team, turnovers if consistent are great but you can't count on them, if we don't have two TD's on those bounces we never even sniff winning that game.

Matt Moore won his first NFL start and put up a 92.8 QB rating doing so.
Matt Flynn put up 27 points in his first NFL start and put up a 100.2 QB rating doing so.

I think people underrate how difficult it is to coordinate a defense against a quarterback who doesn't have any NFL tape. That's why Skelton's and Hall's first starts are frustrating to me. Especially Hall's.

Look at the tape and see whether players are in the position to make plays are are just not making them. You'll see that the system works. Multiple times on big runs you can see the running back breaking a terrible Paris Lenon tackle or running through Adrian Wilson's weak attempts to wrap someone up. Look no further than Brian Westbrook running right through Adrian Wilson into the end zone.

I totally understand your frustration and get it. But it's not like guys are running through gaping holes or quarterbacks are throwing into open zones. It's that the guys on the field are just not making plays when they're placed in a position to.

How's that on Bill Davis?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson