Superbad

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed the movie. Thought it was very funny.

For those that have watched the extras, do you know if that interview with the British guy and Jonah Hill is real? I know Apatow likes to put in scripted stuff as extras but that left me wondering.

That first voicemail Jonah left Michael Cera after getting the part was hilarious.

it's fake. Edgar Wright is a (brilliant) british comedy director.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
it's fake. Edgar Wright is a (brilliant) british comedy director.

Thank you. :thumbup:

It seemed believable at first but there is a moment where Jonah seemed to mis a cue or something and kind of goes off on a question previously asked even though the "reporter" had moved.

I expected the extra to end with the reporter being part of the group that sprayed Tom Cruise in the face awhile back.

When I watched Knocked Up they had me going for awhile with the whole Infamous director overseeing production. Great stuff.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this last night.

Loved Michael Cera's character. Some of the jokes fell flat (like the cop scene in the liquor store) but I did laugh a bit.

I think I liked Knocked Up just a bit better.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Recently watched it. Flippin hilarious, funniest movie I've seen in a long time. Reminds me of the great 80's classics like Revenge of the Nerds. I'll be rewatching this one for sure.

Interesting...
Writers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg started this script when they were just 13 years old citing the reason as being "we just wanted to see if we could write a movie."

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
If you like Knocked up. 40 yr old virgin. then yes..this is better then those 2 combined.

I disagree. 40yrold and Knocked Up were much better. If I was 17 years old, then maybe I'd think Superbad was better.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. 40yrold and Knocked Up were much better. If I was 17 years old, then maybe I'd think Superbad was better.

That's lame...the comedy was a lot smarter than that.

How about if you ever WERE 17? Sometimes that can be funny too...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's lame...the comedy was a lot smarter than that.
How about if you ever WERE 17? Sometimes that can be funny too...

Mmm, that's being very generous. This movie was funny-very funny-and worthy of a trip to the theater. At times it devolved entirely too much into dirty language, and relied too much on it. The fat douchebag getting the girl was also eye-roll worthy. Very funny, yes...a smart comedy? Meh.

I know you are only saying it was smarter, and not necessarily a smart comedy, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmm, that's being very generous. This movie was funny-very funny-and worthy of a trip to the theater. At times it devolved entirely too much into dirty language, and relied too much on it. The fat douchebag getting the girl was also eye-roll worthy. Very funny, yes...a smart comedy? Meh.

I know you are only saying it was smarter, and not necessarily a smart comedy, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I just mean when you compare it to trash like Chuck and Larry, etc., it's written on a completely different level.

There is trashy comedy, and there is good trashy comedy, and this was good. Yes, dirty language, etc., but from my viewing there was a great story there with the two friends trying to deal with not being able to see each other and I thought it was kind of true to life.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I just mean when you compare it to trash like Chuck and Larry, etc., it's written on a completely different level.

There is trashy comedy, and there is good trashy comedy, and this was good. Yes, dirty language, etc., but from my viewing there was a great story there with the two friends trying to deal with not being able to see each other and I thought it was kind of true to life.

It was good, but so much of it I saw coming (except for the blood/leg part- which was great). I just thought some was re-hashed, and after seeing 40 and Knocked Up, I expected more. The whole cop thing seemed forced at times, IMO.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
It was good, but so much of it I saw coming (except for the blood/leg part- which was great). I just thought some was re-hashed, and after seeing 40 and Knocked Up, I expected more. The whole cop thing seemed forced at times, IMO.

I was eating a chorizo breakfast burrito this morning, and the grease dripped on my leg. So all day long I was walking around with a spot on my pants. Great scene, totally unexpected.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Hi, I'm McLovin and I want to buy some bee.." *POW*

:biglaugh:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was an OK movie. Fell flat at times espcially at the end of the movie.

Good but not great.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In a very honest-not-stoned kind of way, there is no way in heck that 40 was more laugh out loud than Superbad.

There isn't one scene in Superbad that compares with Steve and the drunk driver chick scene in 40. I had to stop the movie to finish laughing on that one part. The period scene in Superbad was good, but I agree with Chris 100% The movie just tried way to hard. Enjoyable flick, but not a purchase for me.

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Rewatched this one 12 years later. Apparently I didn't know who Emma Stone was when I originally watched it, since I didn't know she was in it.

Still holds up well in the raunchy R-rated comedy genre.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Rewatched this one 12 years later. Apparently I didn't know who Emma Stone was when I originally watched it, since I didn't know she was in it.

Still holds up well in the raunchy R-rated comedy genre.
This is 12 years old? I was in my 30s? Good lord.