Suns @ Wizards Friday game thread 7-31-20 (season restart)

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Jul 30, 2020.

1. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Ayton is fantastic. I am so glad to have him. No player plays at a high level all the time he is on the floor and bigs are dependent on others to get them touches. I have no complaints about Ayton, he is not a finished product but he might now be the best center the Suns have ever had. He is also defending and blocking shots which is what we thought would be his weakness.

TJ, mjb21aztd and ozzfloyd like this.
  2. mjb21aztd

mjb21aztd Registered User

I agree he is a double double machine he just needs to play with more attitude but i really like how is making sone 3s now who woulda thought baynes must have taught him lol.

I like luka alot as a pg would have been a tough decision for me if i was suns gm

Really think ayton future is bright and that he and booker want to bring a winner to suns

3. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I'm sorry but this is the internet, it's "who would of thought". But that's all mute anyway.

BC867, itlnsunsfan and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  4. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Steve, you crack me up. :)

AzStevenCal likes this.
  5. SunnyBaller

SunnyBaller Registered

I remember a few years ago when everyone was pleading for the sun's to get a center and now we get a good one with sky high potential and his play is nitpicked to death.

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.
  6. BC867

That is a generalization. The history is that Ayton has shied away from contact
    and does not get to the free throw line.

And now that he has discovered the 3-point shot, he is playing even farther
    from the basket. He is not a Wing. He is supposed to be a power player.

By all observations, Ayton should indeed be "a good one" at Center. Putting
    up 20-10's is not what it's about. It is about contributing to team success.

The remainder of this short season, and whether the Suns can make the
    post-season, are what it is all about.

7. SunnyBaller

SunnyBaller Registered

It's fine talk about his weaknesses but are you saying he's not a "good one" yet? He's not great but he's clearly good. When's the last time outside maybe (past him prime Shaq) have we had one equal to his current level. He's the second best player on this team and still improving, centers shoot three in today's NBA if he does nothing but look for the three we have a problem but there's nothing wrong with him shooting 2 or 3 a game . He's clearing contributing to the team , the problem is his team isn't, or more specifically their bench.

8. BC867

Your response didn't really address my comment, which was . . .

Putting up 20-10's is not what it's about. It is about contributing to the team's success.

Thus far, DA's numbers as our #1 pick have not lifted the Suns in the standings.

If that changes, that would be great! I'll say it again. If that changes, that would be great!

It is the same scenario as Brittney Griner and the Mercury. Despite her unique 6'9" height
    in the WNBA, she started both halves in today's game with quick fouls and wound up with
    five and a technical for whining about it. And allowed an understaffed opponent to catch up.
    It has been an ongoing problem.

Both she and Deandre are finesse Centers and not a strong presence in the post. And, as time
    has shown, even in today's pro basketball, that does not help take their teams to the next level.

Losing teams look for stats. Winners, obviously, count victories. BTW, I expect the Mercury, who have
    three Championships to the Suns zero (and the D-backs one), to have a winning season.

9. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Nets beat the Suns last opponent, the Wizards 118-110 today.

10. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

part of the above isn’t true. In his second year, the team has gone up in the standings and will probably end up winning at least 10 more games than the previous season and that will happen only in a 70 game season.

has it shot us way up in the standings? No. But this team HAS improved this year and it’s record with a healthy Ayton is a big jump from last year.

yes, he really spiked the season with his suspension, and I’m never one to shy away from pointing out his lack of fight or ability to seem invisible for large stretches of time. But he’s a better player than he was last year and the team is better than they were last year and to ignore that really undercuts your argument.

11. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Some encouraging news on Oubre.

offset likes this.
  12. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

This is uncalled for