Suns @ Warriors Tuesday game thread 5-11-2021

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, May 10, 2021.

1. Dr dumas

Dr dumas Rookie

Could really use a Pels win tonight as well as the Lakers beating Portland.

2. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

This is what you said that I am referring to: Calling the team below average when Ayton doesn't play well is DEFINITELY exaggeration. When Ayton doesn't play well it means every other level of performance that isn't considered "playing well" and that was never my point. When he has an okay but not great game, we're still pretty good. When he disappears or gives half-hearted effort for most of the game, we are below average.

3. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I think he is both.

Here is what I mean. Ayton's production is largely a function of how well the team feeds him the ball.

I don't really see how anyone can argue with that - he creates ZERO offense for himself. Maybe 5 times a season he will take the ball from the top of the key and attempt to make a move towards the basket.

ALL of his offense either comes from pick and roll, feeding him in the post, or offensive put backs.

He hit 4 of 5 shots in last nights game. He did not play badly offensively - he just did not get the ball.

His defensive effort is really only noticable when he is facing a team that has a post up threat, or likes to slash to the basket a lot.

Golden state last night primarily just shot jump shots, or posted up wiggins. Of course he did not have much impact last night.

4. Finito

Finito Registered

I’ve already addressed this time and time again.

like I said if he’s the reason we suck when he’s not playing well then he’s the reason we’re good to right

But nope it’s well um if he plays like this or like that and if it’s a full moon on Sunday and the wind blows towards the East lol

I hold Booker to a higher standard than Ayton if you don’t and you see them as equals well then I don’t see a bright future for this team and why are we even having this conversation

5. Finito

Finito Registered

stop with the Bender stuff I think one thing everyone can agree there’s no comparison between those two

6. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

wha? They dominated the glass and scored 62 points in the paint. Both areas that Ayton should at LEAST make an impact considering he’s bigger than everyone on the court. He was also atrocious on switches, barely even putting effort in to contest at the end of the game.

and You can’t feed a guy on offense who takes himself out of it most of the time.

7. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

And I disagree with that.

8. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

We can't forget the Suns have the second best record in the NBA and a winning percentage of .696.

9. AzStevenCal

Nothing wrong with that but it would help if you were more specific. Which part of my post do you disagree with? Do you disagree that there are levels between Ayton playing well and Ayton playing horribly? Or do you disagree that when Ayton loafs on defense we become a below average team?

10. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I said it -- if Ayton is missing or not playing well, I still think we are NOT a below average team. At worst without Ayton we are average. We've had to play more with a bad Ayton this year than with a good one and we have won 40 games.

11. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I'm not surprised Ayton struggled on D there's nobody on the Warriors he can guard we have no bigs so he's guarding Draymond or Toscano Anderson. Be glad Paschall can't play or they would have given him the ball and let him go around Ayton, he's gotten really good at doing that.

The surprise was the Suns didn't exploit that at the other end when Ayton is 6 inches taller than the guy guarding him. But Booker and Paul were cooking so I guess they went with that.

The scheme was obvious, make Curry work his butt off at both ends, double him, have help, and make him work on defense. It honestly worked he shot poorly and got so frustrated that late in the game he pushed off Bridges underneath and got away with it for an And 1. You don't normally see him do that he knows there's so much attention on him from defenses that if he does that the ref will probably see it. But he was frustrated.

But maybe they tried TOO hard to wear down Curry and ignored the obvious mismatch Ayton had?

12. AzStevenCal

I disagree. I think we've had an impactful Ayton for more than half the games. Not every moment of those games but he's played hard enough often enough to have us in the top 5 defenses for most of the season.

So, it seems that I think much higher of Ayton's impact than you do when he's giving at least decent effort for key stretches of a game and much worse of him when he's the walking dead from the start to the finish.

13. Mainstreet

Ayton seems to disappear some games and doesn't make himself available offensively or defensively. Last night was one of those nights where he had the clear height advantage. The Suns don't forget about him but when he is not active hence the frustration.

14. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

It’s a May/June league though.

15. Mainstreet

Of course, but after 10-11 years of not making the playoffs it's always good to put things in perspective.