Suns Waive Frank Kaminsky 4-7-2022

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a bit of a surprise. I thought Elfrid Payton was the more likely candidate to be waived.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ish Wainright will likely be converted to the Suns regular roster from a two-way contract.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The silence about Frank Kaminsky's status was deafening.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bummed out about this, but if he wasn't going to be able to play in the playoffs, waiving him was the smart move. He was simply taking up a roster spot. I'd still love to get him back over the summer as a free agent if it's not against the rules.

If the Suns don't think Iffe is ready, I think it's a given that this is the roster we're going into the playoffs with.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This doesn't mean Frank Kaminsky can't return next season if healthy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Ish Wainright will be converted from a two-way contract to a standard contract.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frank is not signed for next year anyway. If he was going to be unavailable for the playoffs, it really changes nothing except for being a wise way to open a roster spot. He can still resign for next year if that is in the plans.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ish getting converted to a regular spot means he’s good to go for the playoffs right?

It sucks but needed to happen

If converted to a regular roster spot Ish would be eligible for the playoffs although I have not read an announcement as yet.

I wanted Gabriel for the playoffs too.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
sad. one of Kaminsky's last games was the best of his career. Maybe they can rehire him next year?

Frank-ly, i'd have preferred to lose Saric (but i assume he has a longer contract)

but Payton is and was the obvious choice. upon further contemplation i solved the Payton puzzle regarding why Monty plays him instead of cutting him. 2 keys:

1. What is Monty's defining characteristic and the reason he deserves coach of the year?
he's a nice guy, player's coach, who, unlike past like-able coaches (Like Igor),
players respect him and are motivated by him.
2. Payton used to start for the Suns and recently started for another team -- a perceived bargain addition if he'd accept a role as 3rd string point guard.

Monty and Paul likely recruited him with pledges of playing time. And Monty being the honorable fellow he is, has stuck to it. but enough. Payton has been given more chances than he deserved. He had a good few years, made a lot of money, but his NBA career should be over now. The Suns have a mission to accomplish without him.

Frank, however, deserves another crack at it when he's healthy.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I feel bad for Tank because I really thought he was coming into his own this year. Even his on court demeanor was different and he was playing really good basketball. Would’ve loved to have him be a part of this year’s run because I thought he had earned it and the team seems to love him. Unfortunately injuries have been the issue.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sad. one of Kaminsky's last games was the best of his career. Maybe they can rehire him next year?

Frank-ly, i'd have preferred to lose Saric (but i assume he has a longer contract)

but Payton is and was the obvious choice. upon further contemplation i solved the Payton puzzle regarding why Monty plays him instead of cutting him. 2 keys:

1. What is Monty's defining characteristic and the reason he deserves coach of the year?
he's a nice guy, player's coach, who, unlike past like-able coaches (Like Igor),
players respect him and are motivated by him.
2. Payton used to start for the Suns and recently started for another team -- a perceived bargain addition if he'd accept a role as 3rd string point guard.

Monty and Paul likely recruited him with pledges of playing time. And Monty being the honorable fellow he is, has stuck to it. but enough. Payton has been given more chances than he deserved. He had a good few years, made a lot of money, but his NBA career should be over now. The Suns have a mission to accomplish without him.

Frank, however, deserves another crack at it when he's healthy.

I get people would have Elf cut but bottom line he’s healthy and can actually play if needed

It’s the right thing to do

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure when the Suns have to make a decision about converting a two-way player such as Ish Wainright or Gabriel Lindberg to a standard contract, but if they were in position to wait for awhile, that might be the best case scenario. Never know about injuries.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Oh man, I was hoping Payton was going to be gone, and not Frank. He seems like a great dude. All that said, he wasn't gonna be ready, so it makes sense. I hope they get him a seat right behind the bench for the playoffs and bring him back next year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I was hoping Payton was going to be gone, and not Frank. He seems like a great dude. All that said, he wasn't gonna be ready, so it makes sense. I hope they get him a seat right behind the bench for the playoffs and bring him back next year.

If the Suns were going to waive Frank, I would have been content if they waived Payton as well.

It's understandable the Suns waived Frank if he couldn't play during the playoffs. They can always re-sign him this summer if they choose.

I think Iffe would have made a solid replacement for Elfrid.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I mentioned waiving Frank last week, but nobody took it serious. I love Frank, but it makes sense to do this, especially if we want Ish on the playoff roster.

I also would be ecstatic if Payton joined him, but it's pretty obvious out of Frank, Ish, Payton and Iffe, Iffe and Frank are the odd men out. I just hope Payton doesn't play at all.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This blows. We are stuck with Payton. The way things are going no playoff minutes for Holiday but probably for Payton.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
This blows. We are stuck with Payton. The way things are going no playoff minutes for Holiday but probably for Payton.
Uggh... well hopefully that's not the case. Payton getting any significant minutes could actually be the difference between a key win and loss somewhere along the way. Have to hope for maximum health and availability of Paul/Payne. And even with that, there is still no logical reason to play Payton over Holiday.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Uggh... well hopefully that's not the case. Payton getting any significant minutes could actually be the difference between a key win and loss somewhere along the way. Have to hope for maximum health and availability of Paul/Payne. And even with that, there is still no logical reason to play Payton over Holiday.
It’s the playoffs. Neither one of them might play any meaningful minutes. Sucks because Holliday is capable for sure.