Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is we have very little in assets to do anything, and Sarver does not want to bring in long term guarenteed salary.

If they do anything, I expect it to be pretty minor in impact.
The first part of your opening sentence is true, the second part falls in the maybe category IMO. But regardless, I agree with your final point.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is we have very little in assets to do anything, and Sarver does not want to bring in long term guarenteed salary.

If they do anything, I expect it to be pretty minor in impact.

I don't think the Suns need a major impact player unless one falls in their lap.

If I'm the Suns I'm looking for a defensive 3 & D forward that can rebound a bit.

I'd like for the Suns to be able to rotate their forwards almost interchangeably.

A player like Justin Jackson or Robert Covington is very close to being that type player.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns need a major impact player unless one falls in their lap.

If I'm the Suns I'm looking for a defensive 3 & D forward that can rebound a bit.

I'd like for the Suns to be able to rotate their forwards almost interchangeably.

A player like Justin Jackson or Robert Covington is very close to being that type player.
This. We are not getting a high impact player at this position without giving up someone impactful on this team. We need a solid person to fill the role to shore up the rotation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That’s a weird tweet. His splits are fantastic, but if there was some player on another team averaging 15pts and 5 rebounds over 19 games we would barely take notice of it as suns fans (if at all).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker is 14-22 in clutch minutes this season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plan is for Frank Kaminsky to return this season and the surgery provides more certainty.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Cam Payne's shot mechanics looks so weird to me. Not the release, that looks fine (certainly no Shawn Marion), more the load up into it. He's like the anti-Cam Johnson; I never expect any of his shots to go in and am surprised when it does.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just as an aside. Does anyone else have trouble listening to Monty in interviews?

He talks so slow and takes such long pauses in the middle of every sentence that it just drives me nuts. I have no complaints about him as a coach, but I just do not want to listen to him in an interview. I doubt he is like that with players.

Oh well. Got that off my chest. Now to move on.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as an aside. Does anyone else have trouble listening to Monty in interviews?

He talks so slow and takes such long pauses in the middle of every sentence that it just drives me nuts. I have no complaints about him as a coach, but I just do not want to listen to him in an interview. I doubt he is like that with players.

I enjoy Monty's interviews because he doesn't give stock answers but rather thinks his way through the interview offering specific examples in his analysis.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

His voice and delivery should be a sleeping app IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns players focused on having the best record in West which would guarantee Monty Williams and his staff a trip to All-Star weekend.

By Duane Rankin:

So while the Suns probably won't have a starter for the Feb. 20 game, they're focused on having the best record in the West, which would guarantee their head coach, Monty Williams, and his coaching staff a trip to Cleveland for the All-Star weekend.

"Real talk," Paul said after Tuesday's win in Toronto. "That's our only goal is to get our coaching staff there. I think they deserve it. The way that they've built this program here and us being there right on the cusp of it. We've got to do our part to get them there."

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN has an article up on what to expect or look for with each team before the trade deadline and it lists a few notes for the Suns. Mainly that the players to watch being dealt at are Saric and Stix. It also clears up any possible confusion as to whether if a team trading for Stix would be limited by the same salary restrictions the Suns are in signing him next year, not being able to offer more than what his rookie deal could have been which is $4.7 million. That restriction carries over with him in a trade.

There are a few other restrictions, such as poison pill type provisions linked to Shamet and Bridges because they've signed extensions that haven't kicked in yet. I thought I'd share the restrictions here.

The Suns can also remove the playoff protection from the pick we owe OKC this year in order to deal a future 1st.

It also notes a trade they'd like to see which is adding Robert Covington for Stix and Saric plus 2 2nd rounders. I'm all for that.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN has an article up on what to expect or look for with each team before the trade deadline and it lists a few notes for the Suns. Mainly that the players to watch being dealt at are Saric and Stix. It also clears up any possible confusion as to whether if a team trading for Stix would be limited by the same salary restrictions the Suns are in signing him next year, not being able to offer more than what his rookie deal could have been which is $4.7 million. That restriction carries over with him in a trade.

There are a few other restrictions, such as poison pill type provisions linked to Shamet and Bridges because they've signed extensions that haven't kicked in yet. I thought I'd share the restrictions here.

The Suns can also remove the playoff protection from the pick we owe OKC this year in order to deal a future 1st.

It also notes a trade they'd like to see which is adding Robert Covington for Stix and Saric plus 2 2nd rounders. I'm all for that.

You must be registered for see images attach

What I'm reading above, the Suns are allowed to trade a future first round pick but only two years after the pick conveys to the Thunder.

I didn't see how the Suns are able to remove the protection on or before February 10th, 2022.

I know picks can be traded on draft day but I don't see how this helps the Suns here.

Also presently the Suns do not have an open roster spot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What I'm reading above, the Suns are allowed to trade a future first round pick but only two years after the pick conveys to the Thunder.

I didn't see how the Suns are able to remove the protection on or before February 10th, 2022.

I know picks can be traded on draft day but I don't see how this helps the Suns here.

Also presently the Suns do not have an open roster spot.
Does the 15-man requirement include 2-ways? Or are those in addition? If so, and you don't count 10-day contracts, don't we have one spot?

Or they could just be referring to the 2nd 2-way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose