Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns players focused on having the best record in West which would guarantee Monty Williams and his staff a trip to All-Star weekend.

By Duane Rankin:

So while the Suns probably won't have a starter for the Feb. 20 game, they're focused on having the best record in the West, which would guarantee their head coach, Monty Williams, and his coaching staff a trip to Cleveland for the All-Star weekend.

"Real talk," Paul said after Tuesday's win in Toronto. "That's our only goal is to get our coaching staff there. I think they deserve it. The way that they've built this program here and us being there right on the cusp of it. We've got to do our part to get them there."

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN has an article up on what to expect or look for with each team before the trade deadline and it lists a few notes for the Suns. Mainly that the players to watch being dealt at are Saric and Stix. It also clears up any possible confusion as to whether if a team trading for Stix would be limited by the same salary restrictions the Suns are in signing him next year, not being able to offer more than what his rookie deal could have been which is $4.7 million. That restriction carries over with him in a trade.

There are a few other restrictions, such as poison pill type provisions linked to Shamet and Bridges because they've signed extensions that haven't kicked in yet. I thought I'd share the restrictions here.

The Suns can also remove the playoff protection from the pick we owe OKC this year in order to deal a future 1st.

It also notes a trade they'd like to see which is adding Robert Covington for Stix and Saric plus 2 2nd rounders. I'm all for that.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN has an article up on what to expect or look for with each team before the trade deadline and it lists a few notes for the Suns. Mainly that the players to watch being dealt at are Saric and Stix. It also clears up any possible confusion as to whether if a team trading for Stix would be limited by the same salary restrictions the Suns are in signing him next year, not being able to offer more than what his rookie deal could have been which is $4.7 million. That restriction carries over with him in a trade.

There are a few other restrictions, such as poison pill type provisions linked to Shamet and Bridges because they've signed extensions that haven't kicked in yet. I thought I'd share the restrictions here.

The Suns can also remove the playoff protection from the pick we owe OKC this year in order to deal a future 1st.

It also notes a trade they'd like to see which is adding Robert Covington for Stix and Saric plus 2 2nd rounders. I'm all for that.

You must be registered for see images attach

What I'm reading above, the Suns are allowed to trade a future first round pick but only two years after the pick conveys to the Thunder.

I didn't see how the Suns are able to remove the protection on or before February 10th, 2022.

I know picks can be traded on draft day but I don't see how this helps the Suns here.

Also presently the Suns do not have an open roster spot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What I'm reading above, the Suns are allowed to trade a future first round pick but only two years after the pick conveys to the Thunder.

I didn't see how the Suns are able to remove the protection on or before February 10th, 2022.

I know picks can be traded on draft day but I don't see how this helps the Suns here.

Also presently the Suns do not have an open roster spot.
Does the 15-man requirement include 2-ways? Or are those in addition? If so, and you don't count 10-day contracts, don't we have one spot?

Or they could just be referring to the 2nd 2-way.

Ronin

Mendozaaaaaa
Super Moderator
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is pretty impressive... especially considering none of us feel like we’re clicking on all cylinders right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the 15-man requirement include 2-ways? Or are those in addition? If so, and you don't count 10-day contracts, don't we have one spot?

Or they could just be referring to the 2nd 2-way.

Two-way contracts are in addition to the 15 man roster. They are in a category of their own. Bismack Biyombo filled the 15th roster spot.

The Suns can still trade or waive someone from the 15 man roster though to clear room.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Two-way contracts are in addition to the 15 man roster. They are in a category of their own. Bismack Biyombo filled the 15th roster spot.

The Suns can still trade or waive someone from the 15 man roster though to clear room.
They must have been referring tot he extra 2-way we have available then. Which doesn't help their argument.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is pretty impressive... especially considering none of us feel like we’re clicking on all cylinders right now.

Especially if that includes the games against Boston and the Heat.

Ronin

Mendozaaaaaa
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Proximo

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The memphis numbers are more impressive.

They haven't had Dillon Brooks for most of that stretch.

They are seriously starting to scare me.

cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen already has 6 rebounds.

Man... not picking that option up could be a really ugly brain fart after this season.