Suns Unsuccessfully Shopping Childress

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns have been unsuccessful in their attempts to trade forward Josh Childress, according to executives.

Phoenix signed Childress to a five-year, $33.5 million contract this past summer. He is averaging just 17 minutes per game.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/210999/Suns_Unsuccessfully_Shopping_Childress

Did they think they would be successful trading a wing player who they had just signed to a big contract who has hardly played this season? Just recently Sarver came out and said how this signing was all about the future. Yeah right.

There is no way you can trade Childress unless you give away draft picks at this point, or package him with other players.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The next "Lon Babby" player failure. First was Hedo.

I liked the signing initially but it never made sense when you were planning on keeping all those wing players when we should have made room for Earl Clark to develop.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Childress was an okay signing but not at the asking price. He should have gotten a contract similar to Warrick or at the max, a contract similar to Dudley. The trade with Orlando acquiring Pietrus really diminished his value to the Suns. How do you trade a swing player without an outside shot unless there is one team out there that values him, sort of like how Orlando valued Turkoglu? If I were the Suns, I would pursue other trades as well. Eventually Childress should be able to help the Suns at some point in time, however, Sarver really took a leap in signing Childress.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Childress was an okay signing but not at the asking price. He should have gotten a contract similar to Warrick or at the max, a contract similar to Dudley. The trade with Orlando acquiring Pietrus really diminished his value to the Suns. How do you trade a swing player without an outside shot unless there is one team out there that values him, sort of like how Orlando valued Turkoglu? If I were the Suns, I would pursue other trades as well. Eventually Childress should be able to help the Suns at some point in time, however, Sarver really took a leap in signing Childress.

The Suns thought they were getting that player that seemed to "break out" just before leaving the NBA. We didn't get that. I am not sure if the Suns gave him that contract based on potential or the past or because we had to overpay him to come here.

Free agents are no longer rushing to play here like in the JC days. Sarver has tarnished the teams reputation (as evidence in that ESPN article last year). It probably means we are going to have to overpay for players as long as Sarver owns this team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns thought they were getting that player that seemed to "break out" just before leaving the NBA. We didn't get that. I am not sure if the Suns gave him that contract based on potential or the past or because we had to overpay him to come here.

Free agents are no longer rushing to play here like in the JC days. Sarver has tarnished the teams reputation (as evidence in that ESPN article last year). It probably means we are going to have to overpay for players as long as Sarver owns this team.

It's hard to tell what tea leaves Sarver was reading about Childress. My guess there must have been some competition to lure him away from a European team or another NBA team if he was coming back to the United States. If it was another NBA team, who are they? I'd rather just hold onto Childress or package him in a trade rather than give up a first round draft pick.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'd prefer to wait and see what Chilli can do when he gets playing time and his finger isn't broken. I actually think he is going to do really well once we don't have 6 shooting guards/ small forwards.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd prefer to wait and see what Chilli can do when he gets playing time and his finger isn't broken. I actually think he is going to do really well once we don't have 6 shooting guards/ small forwards.

AAAAgreed.

Suns fans just constantly need someone to hate regardless of the reason. Today its childress, tomorrow its dragic and lopez..

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AAAAgreed.

Suns fans just constantly need someone to hate regardless of the reason. Today its childress, tomorrow its dragic and lopez..

That doesn't seem fair. Are you sure we have to wait until tomorrow before we start hating Dragic and Lopez?

Actually, I don't hate any of our guys as long as they put forth the effort (game and preparation). About the only one (other than the obvious, Carter) that doesn't consistently put forth the effort is Warrick but in some ways, he's also one of our most talented players which presents some problems.

I like Childress and I don't think we've given him a fair shake out there. Part of the problem might be that he's kind of a cross between Grant Hill and Jarod Dudley and we already have one of each of those guys. I find it hard to believe he couldn't help the 2nd team though. At least, unlike Warrick, he usually plays hard and smart.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget Childress's other advantage over Warrick, which is that Childress can play center.

Good point. Start Childress and let Gortat back him up. That should quiet the people who are upset about Lopez starting in front of Marcin and it will give the few of us that are Childress fans something to be happy about.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Part of the problem might be that he's kind of a cross between Grant Hill and Jarod Dudley and we already have one of each of those guys.
Steve

I couldn't agree more. I think Chilli will be a great replacement for Grant Hill.
I do hope he works on his shot though. His shot is ugly, and he'll need to be able to hit some open threes.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't be against that because I am not sure he has gotten enough consistent playing time here to see what he can do. Suns fans tend to jump on players when they are not playing well (like Lopez & Carter) which is completely justifiable.

However, with guys like Chill we just don't know what we have. However, it's a no brainer if someone demands him in a trade that will give us a legit PF for example. Then you let him go.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against that because I am not sure he has gotten enough consistent playing time here to see what he can do. Suns fans tend to jump on players when they are not playing well (like Lopez & Carter) which is completely justifiable.

However, with guys like Chill we just don't know what we have. However, it's a no brainer if someone demands him in a trade that will give us a legit PF for example. Then you let him go.

Well, of course, but the chances of someone giving us a legit PF for Childress are very slim.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Isn't this old news? I remember reading this back before Hedo & Jrich got traded.

Childress will always struggle to get time on this team because he outside shot is bad. He does play hard when he gets time, but most of his positive offensive production is going for offensive rebounds & an occasional backdoor cut along the baseline for a layup/dunk. He's not good at creating his own shot & he probably wouldn't be able to hit the shot even if he could create one. Having a broken finger hasn't helped him either, but I doubt it's going to improve his shooting ability to a passable level. The Suns got swindled by Babby on Hedo & Childress... they've already admitted both we're mistakes & are paying the price for it... luckily we got Gortat out of the J-Rich/Hedo deal because VC has sucked 75% of the time & Pietrus hasn't been any better.

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
AAAAgreed.

I don't think anybody is hating Childress. Imo, he hasn't been given enough playing time to show us anything yet. But that's sort of the point. Why sign someone to a big long-term contract if you aren't even going to play him?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well, of course, but the chances of someone giving us a legit PF for Childress are very slim.

Yeah, I really can't understand this repeated chorus of "Let's trade our crap for a legitimate power forward." I'm starting to think that it must be a running joke and I'm just not in the loop.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is not news. I was astounded how much we gave him when he signed. A guy who wasn't wanted by any other NBA team and was playing in Europe. That who thing of signing Childress and Hedo from our future GM stunk. I just hope his future signings will be better.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is not news. I was astounded how much we gave him when he signed. A guy who wasn't wanted by any other NBA team and was playing in Europe. That who thing of signing Childress and Hedo from our future GM stunk. I just hope his future signings will be better.

Sorry, Yuma, but that's just not true. Childress WAS wanted by teams here. In fact, he was wanted by teams before he went to Europe. But Greece offered him more money and he took it.

This summer, there was a small bidding war for him. We won it, but since he's getting no time, those same teams that wanted him last summer don't want him anymore. I don't really blame them.

If by some miracle we get rid of Vince and don't get a SG in return, you'll start seeing Childress get minutes. Right now, though, he just doesn't have any value because he's getting paid too much for a guy who doesn't play.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally like Childress and I believe he will be an asset once the old guys (Vince Carter and Grant Hill) have moved on

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Don't forget Childress's other advantage over Warrick, which is that Childress can play center.
You are kidding, right? 6'8"-210 Guard-Forward.

If you said it tongue-in-cheek, well that's OK.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are kidding, right? 6'8"-210 Guard-Forward.

If you said it tongue-in-cheek, well that's OK.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the fact that we've already run him out there as a center. I believe it was against the Knicks and IIRC we lost 37 posters to heart attacks and 12 to insanity (I might be a little low on that number) when Gentry had him take the opening jump.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the fact that we've already run him out there as a center. I believe it was against the Knicks and IIRC we lost 37 posters to heart attacks and 12 to insanity (I might be a little low on that number) when Gentry had him take the opening jump.

Steve
Yeah, I forgot about that. I guess I wanted to forget about that.

Luckily I held off on the heart attack and, hopefully, the insanity.

Is that anything like Vinsanity? :D

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wasn't thinking straight up as much as I was thinking it could be part of a bigger trade.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Childress has a bright future with our team. Mark my words, next year (from what I have seen of him this year especially when healthy) he will be our "Mr. Hustle" and will be in the running for 6th man of the year. The dude exudes energy and enthusiasm. He attacks the basket, unlike most of our other players who stand and hoist 3's.

Carter will be gone next year and a lot of minutes will be opening up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave