Suns training camp and preseason thread

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like rotating players like the Suns did in the Orlando bubble but I'm not a fan of a more strict platoon style of play where a much of the lineup goes out at one time. I like to see continuity of play and a more gradual rotation of players.
I agree with this unless you have three players that can turn things around or double the lead. Suns might have the players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this unless you have three players that can turn things around or double the lead. Suns might have the players.

In Orlando the Suns had three players primarily coming off the bench in Saric, Carter and Payne. I'm talking more about smoothly rotating the players rather than having a fixed rotation where certain players must come in as a group.

I wouldn't want the Suns to rotate players like a line shift in ice hockey as a fixed rotation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I like flexibility in rotations depending upon match-ups.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think this article helps to explain what the Suns want to do at guard. Booker doesn't necessarily need to be a point guard to distribute.

By Kellan Olson Arizona Sports:

When it comes to a specific guard coming off the bench, Williams focused on the concept of that guard often spending time playing alongside one of Paul or Booker. Who fits that role starts to lean more in the favor of someone like Moore, given what Williams said above.

It alludes to the possibility of Williams “staggering” his lead guards more often, meaning the coach is attempting to keep at least one of his two key players on the court at all times.

https://arizonasports.com/story/247...tions-at-guard-carter-felt-wanted-in-phoenix/

Excellent. He didn’t stagger Ricky and Booker as consistently last year. There were games lost last year based on Monty’s poor rotations. Good to see he realized that.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In Orlando the Suns had three players primarily coming off the bench in Saric, Carter and Payne. I'm talking more about smoothly rotating the players rather than having a fixed rotation where certain players must come in as a group.

I wouldn't want the Suns to rotate players like a line shift in ice hockey as a fixed rotation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I like flexibility in rotations depending upon match-ups.

Payne was the biggest difference. We had zero perimeter creation when Rick and Book sat and he was at least decent at it plus he shot like crazy. I think he can be a decent facilitator in the Monte Morris role for us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent. He didn’t stagger Ricky and Booker as consistently last year. There were games lost last year based on Monty’s poor rotations. Good to see he realized that.

The key as demonstrated in Orlando, is far Saric to come off the bench as well as players like Cam Payne and Carter who can defend, shoot and distribute.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The key as demonstrated in Orlando, is far Saric to come off the bench as well as players like Cam Payne and Carter who can defend, shoot and distribute.
What we need to hope is that Payne and Carter can come close to the shooting in the bubble - but that’s not realistic as I believe those guys were blistering. What helps are the additions of Moore and Galloway. We now have depth to work through to find the hot hand.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What we need to hope is that Payne and Carter can come close to the shooting in the bubble - but that’s not realistic as I believe those guys were blistering. What helps are the additions of Moore and Galloway. We now have depth to work through to find the hot hand.

Yeah, I think these are nice depth players where the Suns don't have to solely rely on three players for their bench. Also players like Damian Jones and Jalen Smith should add depth up front.

The big take for me, this off season the Suns have added depth, shooting and defense with players that should be effective. Also these guards can distribute a bit as well.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Galloway is one of those players that can get REALLY hot for stretches. He also puts out effort on D. But he can go cold too.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton says most of his pointers by Chris Paul have come on the defensive end.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always great to have a multidimensional big man that can shoot.

Ayton comments about Jalen Smith's shooting below.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says it could help the Suns being a young team with a short layoff.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne talks about how Chris Paul plays.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payne wants to use what worked for him in the bubble an identity.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Always great to have a multidimensional big man that can shoot.

Ayton comments about Jalen Smith's shooting below.

I am more excited by this guy's shooting ability than his defense!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am more excited by this guy's shooting ability than his defense!

Three point shooting is one of Jalen's best assets along with rebounding and blocking shots.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are starting season without fans for home games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... if by some miracle CP3 can stay healthy all year, this team won’t just be better. They’ll be very good.

I’m pumped for the season!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton video on Jalen Smith.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also Ayton video on Chris Paul.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@BC867

Certain players listed above like Okobo, Diallo, Kaminsky and Owens are no longer with the Suns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose