Suns Training Camp 2021

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns Training Camp will be here before we know it. It is scheduled to begin September 28th at their new practice facility.

Media Day is usually the day prior.

I suspect we will be hearing some news about it soon. Usually the Suns add a player or two for Training Camp.

Ty-Shon Alexander (formerly on a two-way contract) and Jonathan Motley were on the camp roster last season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One potential invite is Kyle Alexander who played for the Suns team in the Las Vegas Summer League.

For those who are not familiar with him, here is a brief description.

By Its_khaleel, Bright Side of the Suns, Aug 25, 2021, 1:00pm MST:

The 24-year-old was born in Ontario, Canada and stands at 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-5 wingspan and 9-foot-2 standing reach. Yes, he has a slight frame (220 pounds), but he oozes athleticism and is extremely mobile and quick. This allows him to be a threat on defense against guards on the perimeter while being really good at protecting the rim and blocking shots.

Defense is his calling right now but he’s improved on offense. He’s a very good screen-setter, knows his way around the pick and roll and has a strong mid-range game. Kyle has worked on his court awareness but still needs to be more aggressive and confident while staying out of foul trouble. That can be coached and Monty Williams is a great coach.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting for Training Camp information but it has been slow to come. Training Camp is scheduled to begin September 28th with Media Day usually scheduled a day earlier.

In a recent Solar Panel Podcast with Dave King and Flex From Jersey as a guest, Flex said all the Suns have been working out at the Suns training facility with the exception of Chris Paul (off season surgery) and Devin Booker (rest after Olympics).

Here is the recent Solar Panel Podcast on YouTube for those who missed it.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One potential invite is Kyle Alexander who played for the Suns team in the Las Vegas Summer League.

For those who are not familiar with him, here is a brief description.

By Its_khaleel, Bright Side of the Suns, Aug 25, 2021, 1:00pm MST:

The 24-year-old was born in Ontario, Canada and stands at 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-5 wingspan and 9-foot-2 standing reach. Yes, he has a slight frame (220 pounds), but he oozes athleticism and is extremely mobile and quick. This allows him to be a threat on defense against guards on the perimeter while being really good at protecting the rim and blocking shots.

Defense is his calling right now but he’s improved on offense. He’s a very good screen-setter, knows his way around the pick and roll and has a strong mid-range game. Kyle has worked on his court awareness but still needs to be more aggressive and confident while staying out of foul trouble. That can be coached and Monty Williams is a great coach.

He actually looked better on the floor than Jalen Smith, though that isn't saying much...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns signing guard Chasson Randle to Training Camp deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chasson Randle (28) is a veteran point guard.

Maybe he will take some of the work load off Chris Paul who is coming off an injury?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some video on Randle.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Payton's deal isn't guaranteed this year. I know Chasson is just a training camp deal but that seems odd still unless the staff isn't sold on Payton as a 3rd stringer.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Payton's deal isn't guaranteed this year. I know Chasson is just a training camp deal but that seems odd still unless the staff isn't sold on Payton as a 3rd stringer.

I think it's guaranteed. That's what that "official" stuff was all about. ;)

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Suns throw me a bone and sign a big man for training camp if not on a two-way contract.

I wouldn't count on it. Management seems obsessed with Small Ball and/or Jalen Smith.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although Elfrid Payton and Chasson Randle are not shooters sometimes I think Ryan McDonough was not far off when he envisioned distributors that could shoot at both guard positions. Unfortunately Dragic did not want to play shooting guard.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Although Elfrid Payton and Chasson Randle are not shooters sometimes I think Ryan McDonough was not far off when he envisioned distributors that could shoot at both guard positions. Unfortunately Dragic did not want to play shooting guard.

The bigger problem was that they were often playing Dragic at small forward alongside Thomas and Bledsoe. And Dragic was getting beat up as a result (much like Cam Johnson is by being played out of position at power forward).

I really don't get this franchise's obsession with Small Ball...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, Chasson Randle was added if Chris Paul is not able to participate or go 100% in Training Camp. I can see where the Suns might want to give him more time to recuperate.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's guaranteed. That's what that "official" stuff was all about. ;)

I get its official, I mean is his salary guaranteed for the season. Like Damien Jones last season, they were able to waive him without eating any salary because his deal wasn't guaranteed until late in the season. Perhaps Payton's deal isn't guaranteed and if they like Randle more then they can cut him loose without any cap hit.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The bigger problem was that they were often playing Dragic at small forward alongside Thomas and Bledsoe. And Dragic was getting beat up as a result (much like Cam Johnson is by being played out of position at power forward).

I really don't get this franchise's obsession with Small Ball...
Every team in the league play small ball throughout the course of games. Well, except maybe the Lakers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get its official, I mean is his salary guaranteed for the season. Like Damien Jones last season, they were able to waive him without eating any salary because his deal wasn't guaranteed until late in the season. Perhaps Payton's deal isn't guaranteed and if they like Randle more then they can cut him loose without any cap hit.

This could well be but my best guess it is fully guaranteed because Payton was signed when most of the other free agents were signing. I think Payton would have been reluctant to sign for less than the veteran minimum after starting for the Knicks most of last season. I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.

I was joking about the "official" part because we had talked about it before. :)

That said, I could be completely wrong.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Every team in the league play small ball throughout the course of games. Well, except maybe the Lakers.

And the Clippers, and the Nuggets, and the Warriors with Wiseman, and the Mavericks, and the Pelicans, and the Grizzlies...and that's just in the West...

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And the Clippers, and the Nuggets, and the Warriors with Wiseman, and the Mavericks, and the Pelicans, and the Grizzlies...and that's just in the West...
Not too worried, yes we need size but our small ball lineup can decimate most teams that try to go big against us.
We WILL get that size we need, I just hope its before the season starts.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they like Randle more than Payton we're in a world of trouble.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, the Nuggets really gave us fits during that demolition we put on them.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, the Nuggets really gave us fits during that demolition we put on them.

They didn't have their starting point guard, and their starting shooting guard and top back up guard were also hurt, which allowed our guards, particularly CP3, to dominate.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not too worried, yes we need size but our small ball lineup can decimate most teams that try to go big against us.
We WILL get that size we need, I just hope its before the season starts.

Just realize that the small ball line-up struggled last season against the Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets (when their guards actually played), Grizzlies, Pelicans and Kings.